1st build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 1st build

Postby McDave » Thu May 18, 2017 4:48 pm

kathy chorjel wrote:Thanks McDave, just about everyone knows more about heating and cooling than I do, so I am grateful for all input. In your opinion would I be better off with the 1" foam and no gap?

Well, it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Truly effective insulation requires a complete system, purpose built and designed for the specific need and environmental parameters. That being said, Anything is better than nothing, usually.
It's important to remember what we are doing. We're not building Heart/Lung machines or super sonic aircraft here, so let's put the proper amount of concern on the issue. This trailer and build are supposed to be fun, when it stops being fun and becomes work and worry, it's time to take a break and go camping, or go sit in a bar for a while.
In the long run I'm not sure it matters how elaborate or precise you are insulating. A year after your done some Hot Rod 23 year old college grad. will come along to tell you how everything you know is wrong anyways. So you gotta use the common sense that God gave ya, and live and learn.
After that, it's just a crapshoot.

Wow, that took a dark turn,
Time for a whiskey.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Thu May 18, 2017 5:34 pm

McDave wrote:
kathy chorjel wrote:Thanks McDave, just about everyone knows more about heating and cooling than I do, so I am grateful for all input. In your opinion would I be better off with the 1" foam and no gap?

Well, it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Truly effective insulation requires a complete system, purpose built and designed for the specific need and environmental parameters. That being said, Anything is better than nothing, usually.
It's important to remember what we are doing. We're not building Heart/Lung machines or super sonic aircraft here, so let's put the proper amount of concern on the issue. This trailer and build are supposed to be fun, when it stops being fun and becomes work and worry, it's time to take a break and go camping, or go sit in a bar for a while.
In the long run I'm not sure it matters how elaborate or precise you are insulating. A year after your done some Hot Rod 23 year old college grad. will come along to tell you how everything you know is wrong anyways. So you gotta use the common sense that God gave ya, and live and learn.

Time for a whiskey.

McDave

I like your style McDave. Since my work day is filled with that kind of stressful stuff, I'll keep doing what I am doing. Whew! That's a load off! :icedtea::
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DirtyD1833 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Hooray for whiskey!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
DirtyD1833
Teardrop Advisor

Postby low277 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:47 pm

McDave wrote:

Time for a whiskey.

McDave

Well said!!!! :thumbsup:
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Sat May 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Still working on the insulation :roll:
Been thinking about putting a couple eyebolts on each end of the top rail to hang a shade sail from. Cheap, easy, and I like the way they look.
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sat May 27, 2017 2:27 pm

kathy chorjel wrote:Still working on the insulation :roll:
Been thinking about putting a couple eyebolts on each end of the top rail to hang a shade sail from. Cheap, easy, and I like the way they look.

That is a great idea. Shading the side or top will be a huge help. I like to park in full sun for the solar power, but that does not help the cooling situation. About 1/2 my trailer roof is covered with solar collectors and vent covers so that helps, but I also try to park with the door side facing south so the side awning provides shade to the sunny side all day. The opposite side provides its own shade. That just leaves the V-nose and Rear ramp which is double insulated. I think it all helps a lot in total.

I like your idea of shade sails however. When I travel out West next year for boondocking time in the desert on BLM land, I may design some to be moved around as needed on the sides. I will take care of the exposed roof with the Henry coating before I go also. I actually have thought about the camoflauge netting materiel I use to cover my radio rig and generators with in the Army.. it did a lot for cooling/shade and also let the wind pass through.

Thanks for the idea! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Sat May 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks Don, I do plan on using the Henry coating also. Heading to WI on July 4th to visit some family. Won't be taking the bike this trip as we won't have much opportunity to ride. I love the desert, it's so darn big!
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sun May 28, 2017 5:09 am

Seems like sacrilege to go to the cheese state and not take the Harley, doesn't it? If you are taking the trailer just be careful. Sometimes a new one will try to follow you home. Seen it more than once :D

If you are really interested in the best ways to "cheat" the sun, Get to know your heliodon. You will learn a lot and probably be surprised how something like correct orientation of your trailer can make a big difference in comfort level. I did some research last year and reported my findings, but I'm not sure it stuck for most people. A heliodon will simulate the suns rays at a given location at a given time of year and allow you to make informed decisions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliodon

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kathy chorjel » Sun May 28, 2017 6:42 am

OMG McDave, that made my head hurt! :lol:
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Mon May 29, 2017 10:20 pm

kathy chorjel wrote:OMG McDave, that made my head hurt! :lol:

No need to hurt your head. Most people will do this instinctively without giving it much thought.. that's why the head for the shade..

It is just a way to take advantage of the sun's position and your location to minimize heating from the sun (least surface area exposed to the sun during the hours of peak temps to minimize heating on the CTC surfaces). With an awning on one side and possibly some other means to shade like your shade sails, no need to be complicated at all. If you are in an area for a day or so... just watch the sun and the shadows cast by your CTC, then orient it where the most sun is on an awning at peak temperatures (~ high noon through sunset) and the other side sees the least amount of sun or is in its own shadow. The front and back will get some, but the rays are not direct (minimized).. and they have the least area so least impact.. :thumbsup: The angle varies some with the season and your location. If you have no awning, the smallest side (front or back should be oriented accordingly).

Architects use the modeling because they have to get it correct the first time and consider the optimization for the entire year cycle... not so easy to move a building once it is up. In the North, they will do the opposite to maximize heating in the winter :lol: :lol:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue May 30, 2017 4:42 am

kathy chorjel wrote:OMG McDave, that made my head hurt! :lol:

"No Pain, No gain"... ;)
But now that you know it, It'll be hard to un know it, and at least consider your orientation before deploying landing gear.
Science is fun, but also serious. You don't need to own a heliodon, but having a grasp on the concept just makes you that much smarter and increases the odds in your favour. I was able to fashion a heliodon using a globe that has the correct tilt on it's axis and a flashlight to simulate the sun. Just find the longitude and latitude of your destination and find the correct angle for the time year. Then you can have a functional model and see the sun's effects and plan accordingly.
Don is a walking "Heli O'Don". He is correct however that most folks do this instinctively, they just do it wrong....
The example I used was for Sturgis, 1st week of August. I determined that I should set up nose to the north, awning to the east. Keeping in mind these trailers are small and the point of camping is not to be in the camper, you want to use the awning as shade from AM to PM, keeping the porch area cool and the porch side wall and door cool all day, and expose the roof to least amount of time in the sun and then use the trailer to provide shadow from PM till sundown. This puts your smallest wall, the ramp towards southern exposure. The heliodon proves it. I used this technique last year at Sturgis and proved it and convinced the non believers after 1 day that it pays to do the math. The guy's without AC were the first to notice the difference and admit they had just learned something. That's quite an accomplishment for 50-60 year old bikers, who are pretty sure they already know everything.... just sayin'.. ... ;) ...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Tue May 30, 2017 8:57 am

Kathy, do you have any pictures of your "shade Sails" or a source if you bought them? I am very interested in them given I like to park in full sun for the solar power. At times, like in a campground with designated sites or boon docking with others and you are the last one to the "circle" and everyone is facing in, there may not be a choice which way to orient the trailer and I am thinking that I can just deploy the "shade sails" as needed to compensate. I really like the way they look. They are used a lot here in Florida on various structures. I am seeing them installed on playgrounds, break patios where people smoke at work, etc.. Very nice.

How's the insulation job going... Getting there?
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue May 30, 2017 9:41 am

@ Don and Kathy,
Check your local farm and ranch supply for the shade screen. I'm seeing a lot of those around corrals and stalls these days. It's pretty heavy duty stuff.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flyguide » Tue May 30, 2017 11:28 am

Try a Noahs Tarp. I have a 16 ft works great and setup and down quick.
https://kelty.com/noahs-tarp/
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby kathy chorjel » Wed May 31, 2017 10:30 am

Getting there Don, employment gets in the way sometimes :roll:
Got an 8x10 shade at amazon, gonna try it out on the pergola as there isn't room on the CT where I have it right now. I'll post a pic when I raise it. Plan is for eye bolts and washers with silicone to seal them as hangers.
Thinking about putting some extra support around the vent in case I decide to put a rooftop ac there down the line. Wondering if I can I just bolt some in place somehow.

We plan on sticking with campgrounds for now, so we won't have much say in how the CT is oriented to the sun McDave. But that whole helio thing is pretty interesting, thanks!
Gotta pickup some Henrys soon too.
kathy chorjel
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions