HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Tommy, if you are ready to move on solar, I'll help you install. One thing you need to decide is if you want a fixed mount or something you can move around? Why? Until you insulate your trailer, you will seek shade. With a portable setup, you can park in shade and put your cells in the sun. That is what I was thinking when I sent that HF info since that is how they show them in the picture on the box. Decide how you want to go, and call me. I will be happy to install it and make sure it is electrically good in any case. There are many options besides HF and maybe a litlle less expensive in the $150.00 range that would work as well or better.

If all you want to do is keep the batteries topped off at home, a battery tender and an extension cord is all you need. :-)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Well I will always seek out oak hammocks, shade, and cold beer when camping and dirt biking! Got to stay frosty my friend. 8)

Seriously though, much to consider. It would be nice to bolt on a panel and forget about it. Portable stuff may grow legs and run off if left unattended. Plus I do have the Champion to use when boon docking in the shade. I really think I would like to see a one panel 100 watt affixed to the roof some how. Use it when Im storing the C.T in this AWEFULL heat and humidity.

Can you recommend one that I may look at and study? the control box seems to be an issue on the cheaper ones I have read up on.

What about hail? Will they hold up to it?

A portable flexible panel might wok too for the reasons you mentioned. Easy to store when not in use I guess. But I am leaning towards roof top permanent.

Would like to stay in the 200.00 range. Permanent roof mount...I think! Recommendations?
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Hey I would like to just run a cord out to the C.T but it would be out the pool deck and screen door and it not a good set up.

Also wont that progressive power center act as a tender when the C.T is plugged in or should I get a small battery tender and plug it in instead? For long term storage. :thinking:

Thank you for your time Don!

Working it out.
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:46 pm

I don't know about hail. I suppose it depends on size. Some folks mount on the side of the CTC with a hinge and tip up when parked to solve that hail problem. That may be a great solution for you with one panel. You could pin it also to remove for easy portable use. That would solve all the scenarios in your case. Will send a pic with an example when I get home tonight.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Never thought about hanging it on the side. Great idea for the flexible panel or the ridged one. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to those pics!

You da man Don. :beer:
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:05 pm

The progressive power center will keep it charged for sure. I just wouldn't want to leave that on 24/7. If the battery is charged, a small battery tender will keep it topped off 24/7. They are made for that.. and alot less circuitry on 24/7.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:11 pm

I just ordered a new toy for camping... a portable HF QRP transceiver that covers all HF HAM bands. I should be able to talk or digitally communicate all over the Country and parts of the Caribbean and South America by tossing a long wire up in the oak trees. Maybe even catch Europe if propogation is good. My wife thinks I have a disease. LoL

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Tommy, Jscwerve just posted these pics of his CTC progress the other day. He was not finished with the prop up pole, but you get the idea. I have seen it done this way many times. It is a great option for one or two panels.

He mounted this way for hail protection. You could do the same and just pin at the hinge so you could also remove and move around some if parked in shade .

Also, you can easily adjust angle for best sun and maximun charge when it is lower in the sky. All good stuff.

I can't tilt my panels easily, so I just compensated with an extra panel. Plus, I am screwed if we get severe hail. I think my panels would take the marble size, but not the golf ball size hail we see once in a blue moon here.

You decide to go this route, let me know. I'll spec out a panel and charger for you, then I'll come over and help you install. No roof leak concerns either. :-)

Thanks Jscwerve.

ImageImage

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:44 am

Wow, outstanding idea on that builders part. I really like it.

This is an older pic with out the battery installed but I think it would be perfect if it was above the LP tanks and battery. It would get very good exposure while on the side of my house. It would be good if it had tilt ability to the left some as that is best while it is on the side of my house. The sun really cooks there.

What you said about the tender vs. the Progressive PC. Yes I thought so too. Thanks for that info. No cords or tenders for me.

Maybe it would be cool if it could detach if needed an placed in or around the back of the truck for better exposure when boon docking if needed. :thinking:
but NOT necessary. Fold up or down. Maybe 2 feet above the tanks. But how to hinge there? Its curved as you know. :thinking:

Yes Don at your convenience. When you have a parts list I will purchase ( with the wardens approval ) and we can get it done. What you think is best.

One other spot would be on the awning side above the fender some. ( The other side is up against the fence when in storage ) Yes that has obvious draw backs but the awning is not deployed when in storage and there is a flat surface to hinge on. I will edit a pic in a minute, ok? I like the front mount better.
Attachments
EXTERIOR%20VIEW%20NEW%20DOOR.jpg
EXTERIOR%20VIEW%20NEW%20DOOR.jpg (88.11 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
t-104-1.jpg
t-104-1.jpg (86.24 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:27 am

Maybe something like this bungeed down to the roof or hanging from the right side when in storage. Seems easy. :thinking:

ALLPOWERS 100W 18V 12V Bendable Flexible Solar Panel Charger Lightweight SunPower Solar Charger with MC4 for RV, Boat, Cabin, Tent, Car, Trailer, or Any Other Irregular Surface

Some people adhesive taped and dicored them to the roof so no hardware...just a thought. 169.99
Attachments
41-Ai6+ZENL__SX425_.jpg
41-Ai6+ZENL__SX425_.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Tommy B wrote:Maybe something like this bungeed down to the roof or hanging from the right side when in storage. Seems easy. :thinking:

ALLPOWERS 100W 18V 12V Bendable Flexible Solar Panel Charger Lightweight SunPower Solar Charger with MC4 for RV, Boat, Cabin, Tent, Car, Trailer, or Any Other Irregular Surface

Some people adhesive taped and dicored them to the roof so no hardware...just a thought. 169.99

Tommy, that panel will do the trick also.. many ways to make that reside on the roof and then remove as needed to position in the sun. Does that come with a controller for that price?
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tommy B » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:36 am

Morning Don,

I read a bad review of that flexible one but all in all it got good reviews though. But after sleeping on it all and taking a look at it, It would be a pretty good spot just under the Haulmark logo. At the seem are 6 big screws or so that hold the cap on and they go through the C.T I think so it should be an ok spot to mount a modified bracket to account for the slight curve in the seem. It would be out of the way, up high, and close to the battery. Fold up, fold down, or maybe permanently folded out?

The left side faces East, From mid day till almost sunset that top and right side bake in sunlight.

That's the spot. Hard Panel. What to you think? :thinking:
Attachments
rsz_solar1.jpg
rsz_solar1.jpg (125.2 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
rsz_solar.jpg
rsz_solar.jpg (114.03 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:09 am

On the flexible pad it does not come with a controller but this one is purchased with it for 20.00. And for 8.00 more you purchase 5 pairs of MC4 connectors.

I am still looking for the best easiest way. Directly on the roof would provide max exposure.

Open to your advice. No Rush here.

Thank you Don.
Attachments
71Z5hVZYNaL__SL1100_.jpg
71Z5hVZYNaL__SL1100_.jpg (134.07 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:32 am

Hahaha, :?

Then there is this kit for 156.00
Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Bundle Kit

Seems like app. $160-200 for mid to low grade quality and around $500.00 for the good stuff. Its the controllers that are reported as cheap mostly.

Very hard to decide but I no doubt want and need this. This one has 12v exterior ports for lights. Like for string LED lights, with a timer I think. You could hook up exterior LED Christmas lights or what ever and they would come on every night. That would be cool.

Decisions.
Attachments
61w8C+4V1YL__AC_UL115_.jpg
61w8C+4V1YL__AC_UL115_.jpg (3.9 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Tommy B
500 Club

Postby Tommy B » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:17 am

WindyNation 100 Watt Solar Panel Off-Grid RV Boat Kit with LCD PWM Charge Controller + Solar Cable + MC4 Connectors + Mounting Brackets
$183.99

OK Don, that's it I'm done. This is the best I can come up with. The reviews are all positive and the price is right through amazon. I will look no further as I am overwhelmed at all the info and variables. Very open to any idea you may have on hardware or setup.

Have a good weekend! :beer:
Attachments
61e9EHsRXnL__SL1127_.jpg
61e9EHsRXnL__SL1127_.jpg (127.61 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
Tommy B
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions