7x16 Conversion from Georgia

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x16 Conversion from Georgia

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 am

Martin, enjoy your vacation. Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun! Look forward to the pics. Glad you got the bed sorted out.

McDave, same to you. Have a great time at the rally. Good to hear nothing flew off on the highway.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:47 pm

Well vacation is over, we had a great time. We hiked several miles, took the canoe out, did some fishing and most importantly we just relaxed. The new bed worked out great BUT we decided we're gonna upgrade to a king size, so I'll make a extension that will fold up, then it will go from sidewall to sidewall.
I didn't take any pics while building it but it looks something like this.

We got our lab/boxer mix in the canoe for the first time and I was tickled he did as well as he did. After a little encouragement he got in and settled down.
He makes a good hiking partner too. Since its a state park he has to stay on a leash but we let him run free a couple of times and he never broke or ran.

I saw several CTC's in one form or another, several tear drop/benroy style trailers, even a tiny house (host trailer). We had several people stop and ask questions and look at and through ours ;). We might have a couple of new members here on TNTTT as well.

This trip gave us a few more ideas of things we want to add/change and improve which is what its all about.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Martin, Looks like you had a great time.

Can you recommend some good places (either State Forest or National Forrest) in Mid to North Georgia to camp/hike and go on some nice long rides on the cruiser? My wife wants to take a trip the last week of August or first week of September.. We were going to go on a Caribbean Cruise... but this was her idea (I am surprised but happy either way).. In any case.. I'd like a quite place, close to a small town, water hookups (nice, but not a deal breaker). On a lake and places to hike would be great.. Also plan to take the Kingpin, so some good back country roads to ride.. Any ideas.. throw them at me. Much appreciated.

I kind of like the Helen Georgia area. There is a NF nearby and lots of winding roads.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:42 am

Don, are you planning on going north on the day of the eclipse? Should be cool. I'm hoping to get up to Jackson Wy.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby m.colley » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:08 pm

flboy wrote:Martin, Looks like you had a great time.

Can you recommend some good places (either State Forest or National Forrest) in Mid to North Georgia to camp/hike and go on some nice long rides on the cruiser? My wife wants to take a trip the last week of August or first week of September.. We were going to go on a Caribbean Cruise... but this was her idea (I am surprised but happy either way).. In any case.. I'd like a quite place, close to a small town, water hookups (nice, but not a deal breaker). On a lake and places to hike would be great.. Also plan to take the Kingpin, so some good back country roads to ride.. Any ideas.. throw them at me. Much appreciated.

I kind of like the Helen Georgia area. There is a NF nearby and lots of winding roads.

Don,
Are you wanting to be able to make reservations to guarantee you a site? Are you opposed to a state park campground?
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:06 pm

m.colley wrote:Don, Are you wanting to be able to make reservations to guarantee you a site? Are you opposed to a state park campground?

Yes.. If you think it is necessary... I don't mind making reservations... Not opposed to a State Park at all.. Do you have a few places in mind I can check out online?
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:57 am

flboy wrote:
m.colley wrote:Don, Are you wanting to be able to make reservations to guarantee you a site? Are you opposed to a state park campground?

Yes.. If you think it is necessary... I don't mind making reservations... Not opposed to a State Park at all.. Do you have a few places in mind I can check out online?

Hey Don,
You might want to reserve a site. For State Parks check out Unicoi State Park which is just a couple of miles outside of Helen or go a little west and check out Vogel State Park, just a few miles outside of Dahlonega Ga. Their only about 25 miles apart.. My choice between the two is Vogel. If you want a USFS campground look at Lake Winfield Scott in Suches Ga. Its a beautiful park with great riding roads right outside the entrance.
Either way you've got to ride Wolf Pen Gap Rd aka Ga Hwy 180. Its a mini version of Hwy 129 aka "the Dragon". Also you need to ride Ga Hwy 60 between Dahlonega and Blue Ridge Ga. Its a combo of long sweeping curves and some pretty tight switchbacks in places.US Hwy19/129 is a nice road loaded with "curves" just more traffic. If you camp at Lake Winfield Scott or ride Hwy 60, stop in Two Wheels of Suches, its a "motorcycle only" campground and restaurant. Tell Mary that Rebel & Tammy said hello.

Either way you can't go wrong in that whole 50-60 mile area. You'll have beautiful scenery, great riding roads and plenty to do. You'll be withing 50-60 miles of some of the best riding N. Georgia, Tn, and N. Carolina has to offer. BTW, the Appalachian Trail cuts right across Hwy 60, just a couple of miles from Suches.

That ought to get you started,

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 am

Thanks so much Martin. I'll get online and start checking them out! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:19 am

Your quite welcome Don.
If I had my membership already I'd let you use my camp spot in Helen and it wouldn't cost you any $$$. The wife and I are buying in to a campground membership just a couple of miles outside of Helen. I've put down my deposit but haven't signed the deed yet. It'll be used as our semi-retirement/ weekend get away spot, kinda like the place you bought down there in Florida.

Its a one time buy in and then a small yearly maintenance fee that pays your share of the taxes and upkeep on the property. We found it a couple of years back, took a tour of the place put down our deposit and now just waiting to sign the final paperwork.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:12 pm

@ Don,
You know you have a standing invite for Sturgis. That goes for you too Martin. I plan on rolling in on the 3rd or 4th (Thu/Fri) Before the official start Mon. August 7th. It just seems to be more fun to be there while everybody is still fresh and the bulk of the masses are still in transit. Around mid week of the rally people can get kinda owley, so I try to get back in the Black Hills or down to Custer Park and hang out with the bison and elk. By Friday folks are headed home and the locals come out to play, that's when the real crazy starts.
Anyways, Keep it in mind. PM me and we'll get ya set up. Either way, have fun and be safe.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:56 pm

McDave wrote:@ Don,
You know you have a standing invite for Sturgis. That goes for you too Martin. I plan on rolling in on the 3rd or 4th (Thu/Fri) Before the official start Mon. August 7th. It just seems to be more fun to be there while everybody is still fresh and the bulk of the masses are still in transit. Around mid week of the rally people can get kinda owley, so I try to get back in the Black Hills or down to Custer Park and hang out with the bison and elk. By Friday folks are headed home and the locals come out to play, that's when the real crazy starts.
Anyways, Keep it in mind. PM me and we'll get ya set up. Either way, have fun and be safe.

McDave

Thanks McDave for the invite, I'll keep that in mind. The biggest issue for me is getting enough time off to make the ride/drive and still get to hang out. Hopefully gonna get to come next year. I've got several friends heading up that way this year. One left out this past Friday with their motorhome and enclosed trailer in tow. The trailer has 6 bikes in it. Two of his personal bikes and other friends. Three people are flying in to Rapid City and he's meeting them there with their bikes, then he'll get the bikes back here to GA.

I've been to Sturgis once, while I lived in Tx. I drove a support truck and trailer for a group that rode up and then caught a ride back with another group before the rally ended. I enjoyed it but hated having to leave early to make it back.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:21 pm

McDave wrote:@ Don,

McDave

Hi McDave, thanks... I won't be making Sturgis this year, but I am likely going to retire from my long term career next July and take a year off to decide what I want to be when I grow up. I will be there almost for sure in 2018.. probably just on my bike with a backpack. Maybe I can squat under your awning. :-) After Sturgis, my plan is to head towards Chicago and pick up Route 66 towards Santa Monica... However long that trip takes me, I'll circle back home to pick up the truck/CTC and wander back out for a few months to hit all the places I have only dreamed about riding my dirtbike. It'll be here before I know it.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Martin, Thanks.. I just booked Vogel St. Park for 8/27 - 9/1... getting out before the Labor Day rush... Got any good riding places you can recommend... send them my way. Appreciate it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It appears this State Park is right in the middle of the National Forest? My wife is excited we will be so close to Helen. We have stayed there in condos before.. good memories.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:54 pm

flboy wrote:Martin, Thanks.. I just booked Vogel St. Park for 8/27 - 9/1... getting out before the Labor Day rush... Got any good riding places you can recommend... send them my way. Appreciate it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It appears this State Park is right in the middle of the National Forest? My wife is excited we will be so close to Helen. We have stayed there in condos before.. good memories.

Yes, right in the middle of the Chattahoochee National Forest. While your up there check out Coopers Creek WMA. Just a short ride from where your staying, its one of my favorite places.
Any idea of which way your coming up?(hwy's etc)

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:41 am

There are 2 ways to come up and about 10 miles different. I will most likely go up I95 to Brunswick,Ga and work my way over to I16 then up some state roads... The other way would be just straight up I75 and cut over after Atlanta.

We are excited about the trip. Should be a good time. Looking forward to the twisty roads on the Kingpin.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions