ris new trailer build 11/1/17

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: ris new trailer build 11/1/17

Postby ris » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 am

In this pic we have finished putting two, 1" layers on the ceiling and one 1" layer on the walls.

It is nice to have a 6'2" neighbor when you are putting up the ceiling plywood. We used 1/4" sanded plywood from Home Depot. We primed it, which raises the wood grain then sanded it smooth then put one coat of satin latex enamel white on the ply. After we get the walls up we will second coat with the satin. We used satin because it is a little shiny but not as much as semi-gloss.

We now have the front wall or bathroom stud wall up in the front of the trailer.

Here are the tools we use the most. Drill which we use to pre-drill a small pilot hole before using self drilling screws to attach 1x2 to the metal studs, drill driver is better than a straight drill for putting in and taking out screws, the yellow box has all kinds of bits in it, square bits, phillips bits, star bits ect. The small pouch with a belt clip is for putting screws and bits into to make them easy to reach it is also easy to remove and then put back on, it is very handy to have. Last but not least is a tape measure, the one inch wide blade can go out about 9 feet before it will bend, and the razor knife.

I know you can do this whole build with a circular saw but these two saws increase your efficiency. We did not have to buy any of these tools for the build we already use them in our day job. The table saw is really great for cutting the insulation. The miter saw is fast in cutting the 1x2s to length.

This weekend we will install the windows. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or in a pm.
ris
Teardrop Inspector

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:42 pm

That ceiling looks great!
featherliteCT1
Teardrop Master

Postby ris » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Did not get any windows installed. Central Florida turned into the south pole on Saturday. For us Florida Folk it was cold and rainy. My son is a Civil Engineer and was notified that he passed his PE test. He is a happy camper and we are proud parents. He came over after reading over the window install stuff in this part of the website. We would have put one of the windows in but it was just too cold and wet. We did a lot of talking and figuring. We also cut out a tight fitting pattern for the window so we now have a pattern for the window hole that is only 1/8 of an inch larger than the window. We used 1/8" masonite to make the pattern. It is a little more rigid than cardboard. Just want to say thanks for the comments, and the helpful info. This is a great website.

Richard
ris
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:57 pm

Hey ris,
Congrats to your son, and also to you and Mrs. Sounds like you did a great job raising up a man. Nice that you can spend time and work together.
It has been a strange winter so far, to say the least. It was 70f on Thanksgiving, and I took the Harley out for a few hours today. Montana is usually 2 months into the deep freeze by time of year. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Every day above zero is gift, and another day closer to spring. But it is strange to see snow in Atlanta and Baton Rouge.
Y'all are doin' some quality work there, keep that stuff up. I've been watching.
Merry Christmas to you and family.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions