Roof strength or can I lay on it? Need Power Vent

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Roof strength or can I lay on it? Need Power Vent

Postby NotJammer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:15 pm

I need to install a Maxi Fan or equivalent. The builder would not install one, supposedly the trailer is wired for it. It has a non-power 14" vent now.

The last and only time I installed one was on an old Avion with the curved roof. I put a ladder on the back and slithered across the roof without damaging it.

My Legend roof is 1" x 16" OC box tube aluminium with one piece aluminium roof. Maybe I lay a sheet of plywood on it...I'm 180 lbs of slow old man.

Any advice is welcome.

Is there a way to do it from the bottom and keep my unbroken top cover?
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Re: Roof strength or can I lay on it? Need Power Vent

Postby flboy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:31 pm

NotJammer wrote:I need to install a Maxi Fan or equivalent. The builder would not install one, supposedly the trailer is wired for it. It has a non-power 14" vent now.

The last and only time I installed one was on an old Avion with the curved roof. I put a ladder on the back and slithered across the roof without damaging it.

My Legend roof is 1" x 16" OC box tube aluminium with one piece aluminium roof. Maybe I lay a sheet of plywood on it...I'm 180 lbs of slow old man.

Any advice is welcome.

Is there a way to do it from the bottom and keep my unbroken top cover?
My install was similar on a flat aluminum roof. Just put a few 2*4s down long ways on the trailer to engage a few of the crossmembers and set some plywood across the 2*4s. It will distribute your wieght just fine. I weigh about the same and had no issues.

You can even span the width with 8' 2*4s where the walls bear the brunt and that works fine too.

Either way.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby NotJammer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Thanks, I will try that.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:38 am

2 x's and KNEE PADS.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Dano-Mich » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 am

Or find someone with long arms! I was able to do mine from a step ladder and reach across from both sides. Used a 2x10 spanning several roof bows to lean on. Trailer is only 7' wide though.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby walkrdg » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:31 pm

I (carefully and gently) used a leftover chunk of 1" pink foam insulation about 2ft. by 3ft. to kneel on, in the area between the vent and the edge of the roof, making sure to span two crossmembers. That worked fine as I wasn't moving around on the roof. Felt good on the knees, too! (I weigh about 170 lbs.)
walkrdg
Teardrop Builder

Postby NotJammer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:39 pm

Since I'm inside for the winter I looked online. Seems there are Heng, Fantastic Fan and Maxi-Fan. The cover lift is different on each. Heng center lift. Fan Fan single side lift. Maxi 2 sided lift.

I have a Heng standard 14" vent. No fan. Heng sells an upgrade to add a 3-speed fan.

50/50 on complaints. Some say the fan blade is not balanced. I will balance the blade asap. Should be easy with a box knife.

Install from inside. $60. https://www.amazon.com/Roof-Vent-Vortex ... B00APSSPEA

I'll follow up on this in a couple months, as...

I just made my Wishlist and wow, I need some $$$$$. Little by little will have to do.
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:46 pm

I have a Heng's fan/light/vent combo in the shower. Works good, just 1 speed. Fan motor low watts but the light draws like 50wt. Rarely needed. 3rd year, no issues. Paid about 40.00

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby NotJammer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Good to know. I use LED everywhere I can. When I find a deal on them, I stock up. LEDs do burn out. Just not as often as the older stuff.

Menards sells USA made extra heavy duty tungsten bulbs. I also keep those around. http://www.aerolights.com/index.html
NotJammer
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:15 am

Yep, I have mostly LEDs interior and have even converted a few fixtures by soldering in a piece of strip led light. A half dozen LEDs can put out considerable light in a dome light. I have been meaning to convert the Hengs ring light but I don't use that light often so I forget. That might make the list for today. I bought the strip light in 16 ft rolls on Ebay for about 5.00 ea. I really like the indirect light and ability to dim. I have about 40 ft installed and even at 100 % the draw is only about 20 wt. but I run it at 50% mostly, that's plenty of light. The dimmers and remotes were cheap too, like 2.00? So I bought lots of extras and have replaced 1 dimmer already. Not sure why it failed but it stayed 100% , no dimming. But for 2.00 probably not super high quality.
Check out Ebay for your wish list. There is a ton of stuff and sometimes you can get nearly free + shipping

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions