6X12 Featherlite Cargo Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6X12 Featherlite Cargo Conversion

Postby 7sparky7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 pm

Good point, “the porch” indeed! I definitely plan on using it for that as much as possible.
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:39 am

7sparky7, Howdy;

The screw heads may be Prince & Reed looks like a Phillips are more square with a fatter point at the tip.
Here's a full listing of different screw head styles;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Nice looking trailer, hope you get the photo thing sorted out, looking forward to your build as it progresses.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 7sparky7 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 am

Cool info.
Looks like the quadrex to me.
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby 7sparky7 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:12 am

I may have screwed up by not getting my entry door scooted toward the back a little bit. Now I’m wondering how I will be able to mount the support arms for an awning to the right-hand side of my entry door. Any thoughts?

7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby 7sparky7 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:33 am

A handy insulation comparison chart. I went with Polyiso for the interior.

7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby Hader » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:25 am

7sparky7 wrote:I may have screwed up by not getting my entry door scooted toward the back a little bit. Now I’m wondering how I will be able to mount the support arms for an awning to the right-hand side of my entry door. Any thoughts?

What will be the support arms dimensions?
Will the awning be removable or permanently attached to trailer?

Iconfabul8 would be the one to ask for help with this. He is a master fabricator.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby 7sparky7 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:37 am

I’m not sure of which awning yet. I want one permanently affixed if possible. Still looking and learning.
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby Hader » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby 7sparky7 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Something like that is definitely a possibility.
I’m not sure how difficult that would be for one person to set up by themselves though.
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:35 pm

7sparky7 wrote:I may have screwed up by not getting my entry door scooted toward the back a little bit. Now I’m wondering how I will be able to mount the support arms for an awning to the right-hand side of my entry door. Any thoughts?

I am not sure where you'd put that with a regular RV awning. It would have to go before the door. How big a deal is it if the door is not under the awning? It would be nice... but they are much more than just door cover. I'd just have the awning start right before the door opening. My old CTC had a bag awning and the trailer was 6' tall so the door went almost to the ceiling. No place for it to hang, so I just installed it just before the door and it worked great and really was not a big deal.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:40 pm

Hader wrote:Iconfabul8 would be the one to ask for help with this. He is a master fabricator.

Haha, While I appreciate the confidence, master fabricator is definitely streeeeeching things a bit. However, where there's a will there's a way.
Depending on the style of awning, I see a few solutions. One that doesn't attach to the trailer at the bottom like Hader posted definitely simplifies things some. But not a complete deal killer either.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby EZDog » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:58 pm

You could pretty easily have a bracket that comes off of the front V just past the door to attach the foot on the awning arm if this is the awning type you think you want.

There are awnings that can but do not need to attach to the trailer that would work fine here too.
My Casita awning can either connect to the trailer or the ground and I rarely use the trailer as I seem to always run into that support coming out of the door?
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:14 pm

That might be a tricky one, Sparky.
Your standard RV awning, Carefree and A&E etc. have a rail that is mounted to the top edge of the face of the roof/wall trim. The vinyl material spline slides into that rail, and the roller and arms pivot away from roof to deploy. So the arm and roller are outside or wider than the material approx. 6in.. So you would need to fab a triangular piece to extend the bottom frame rail, in order to mount lower arm support. But then there is nothing to support the arm and roller in the closed/transport position. There is usually some sort of arm lock to prevent accidental deploy while in transit. So maybe another triangular extender at midpoint somewhere to lock the arm to and possibly a third at roof/roller height. Kinda fugly and cludgy but a possible work around.
Or, you can look into the "bag awning" style. Still cludgy and fugly, but they work. Here is a example PDF.
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/documents/Campout.pdf

Or, you can do what I did. A "folding or retractable awning". Here is the PDF.
https://secure.img1.wfrcdn.com/docresou ... 274736.pdf

And a pic. or two.
I paid 146.00 shipped for 10' x 8'. It has a crank to open and close and the roller is stationary. The arms are spring loaded and you can open to any position. The angle is also adjustable. I had to fab some mounts and will probably do a rev. B soon so as to be less fugly. But it works great. I love it. You can get or make support rods to attach to the leading edge, but I have not needed them so far. I made a cover from vinyl gutter and end caps to keep it out of the UV and bird poop when not deployed and reduce the 80mph wear and tear. Zero complaints so far.
So there are a few options, and of course never take No for an answer... just sayin'

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby 7sparky7 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks for all the great info everyone! Lots to digest.
I’ll have to put a ladder rack of sorts up first to mount my solar panels on and then mount an awning.
7sparky7
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions