Tents that attach to and enlarge your CT?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Tents that attach to and enlarge your CT?

Postby rebar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:16 pm

I found the Napier Backroadz SUV tent which might work, but has anyone actually used one attached to their CT, or any others?

Id prefer a canvas tent like a OZ tent, but as rare as tents designed for a SUV or trailer are, Id settle for nylon.

Thanks!
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Re: Tents that attach to and enlarge your CT?

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:59 pm

My friend installed the ARB 2500 awning on his van. He also purchased the tent walls that attach to it. Works great. The only thing that would be a slight issue is the wheel wells on the trailer would push the walls in a bit. I ordered the 2500 awning plan on putting it on the side of my 6x10. I may eventually get the walls too.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby rebar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:09 pm

dirtsailor2003 wrote:My friend installed the ARB 2500 awning on his van. He also purchased the tent walls that attach to it. Works great. The only thing that would be a slight issue is the wheel wells on the trailer would push the walls in a bit. I ordered the 2500 awning plan on putting it on the side of my 6x10. I may eventually get the walls too.

Thanks dirtsailor. I like the poles and staked ropes on the corners. My only question is where does the water go in a heavy rain? The awning is flat and looks like it would catch water.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:13 pm

You can adjust the legs to tip the awning so that it slopes.

My friends used theirs two weekends ago and we had hard rain for two hours. Their stuff was nice and dry. The floor of the tent is heavy duty as is the awning.

I thought I took a photo of their setup but I can’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby rebar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:03 pm

I think a oz tent might work out. The awning and side walls have zippers and I imagine someone handy with a sewing machine could take the awning front panel, and modify it to fit the trailer..

The R pod has a neat r-dome tent and fastening system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfxoa2NM1UM
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 pm

i've ordered the napier backroadz suv tent. i'll post up a critique when it arrives :)
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Walmart CONNECTent
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby beachguy005 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:20 am

I've considered using one of these. Looks like the large door might accommodate fender and a side door of a CT. You'll also have a stand alone canopy.

https://www.ezup.com/camping-cube-straight-leg-6-4.html
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby rebar » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:03 pm

onehoser wrote:i've ordered the napier backroadz suv tent. i'll post up a critique when it arrives :)

Great, looking forward to it onehoser. From the looks of it, my trailer is taller than the opening though.
John61CT wrote:Walmart CONNECTent

Those are nice. Thanks John..
beachguy005 wrote:I've considered using one of these. Looks like the large door might accommodate fender and a side door of a CT. You'll also have a stand alone canopy.
https://www.ezup.com/camping-cube-straight-leg-6-4.html

That is pretty nice, especially the pitched rain fly.

The thing is, Id like to have the tent completely attached to the trailer to prevent allot of bugs getting in. I'd also like a door to get outside from the tent and not have to walk through the trailer. The only tent I see doing that is the OZ Tent with its awning and side door kit. But the height of my trailer might not work with its awning and sides.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:47 pm

rebar, Howdy;

If you think the Oz may be the ticket for you then contact the manufacturer
and see what they say to your questions. They may be able to build to your
needs or they may not. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rebar » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:56 am

hankaye wrote:rebar, Howdy;

If you think the Oz may be the ticket for you then contact the manufacturer
and see what they say to your questions. They may be able to build to your
needs or they may not. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

hank

Unless I find another tent I like more before I buy my trailer, I will. Right now I think I just found my next truck.. 96 5 speed 4x4 cummins, so everything else takes a back seat.

I like the look of the canvas wall tents also and since I will be full timing one day, I need a serious tent.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:16 am

My friend that bought the ARB looked at the OZ also (in person at a Sportsman show). He chose the ARB because it is heavier duty material all around.

I ordered my ARB awning and will post photos of it in use when I get it installed this week.

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby rebar » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:47 am

dirtsailor2003 wrote:My friend that bought the ARB looked at the OZ also (in person at a Sportsman show). He chose the ARB because it is heavier duty material all around.

I ordered my ARB awning and will post photos of it in use when I get it installed this week.

What I don't like about the ARB is that even though the awning can be set up pitched for rain run off, the awning room isn't designed to do that. The awning isn't much wider than the room barely extending over and wind driven rain could enter between them.

I hope you have good luck with yours, but I'm not sold yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3_XaTqCyxk
Last edited by rebar on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby domoarigato » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:37 am

I have thought about this as well, just not quite there yet as I am still working to finish my build. You may already be aware, but for a hefty price and with poor reviews, the dometic extend a room seem to fit the bill if you have a ramp:

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-954091-0 ... B0031NHRXQ

But at that price, I would almost be inclined to draft up my own design and run it by an upuolstry shop to see if it's doable. You can probably source the canvas for pretty cheap and fashion up the suports yourself.

I have a friend that had his pop up material replaced, which he ordered through bear crek canvas:

http://bearcreekcanvas.com/index.cfm

They did a great job, used better materials than used at the factory and even had a tinted window option (which he went with and looked great). They or somebody like them may be able to do this type of project. Ultimately if you wanted to do it up nice and clean, you would utilize the exact same anchor strip and channel that is used in tent trailers.

There are options out there, just gotta shake the bushes a bit and see what pops up.

-Domo

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebar » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:17 am

domoarigato wrote:http://bearcreekcanvas.com/index.cfm

They did a great job, used better materials than used at the factory and even had a tinted window option (which he went with and looked great). They or somebody like them may be able to do this type of project. Ultimately if you wanted to do it up nice and clean, you would utilize the exact same anchor strip and channel that is used in tent trailers.

There are options out there, just gotta shake the bushes a bit and see what pops up.

-Domo

Hi domoarigato.

I still have yet to buy my CT, but plans are to look at it beginning of July. I was also thinking I need to hire a professional to sew and connect which ever tent I decide to buy and bear creek canvas in Wisconsin isn't that far. Thanks..

What is this "anchor strip and channel that is used in tent trailers" you mentioned? The R-pod has a neat channel system for their r dome, but I imagine its not available for sale.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions