Time for a new battery...what's "hot" these days?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Time for a new battery...what's "hot" these days?

Postby NO David! » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:08 pm

I run a WFCO 8712P with a single Optima AGM blue top 55AH battery. I only run my Fantastic Fan, and a single interior light. I made plans for more lighting, but haven't bothered with it. Our camping is typically at a State Park, so I often only run the 120V side. I like to have the fan working, and interior lighting when boon-docking or even day trip use. The fan cools off the trailer quickly, and loading or unloading, and in the evening, it's nice to have the DC lighting. I do plan to add an exterior door led nightlight, and possibly some low amperage interior led lights as well, 12V. Current led lights are 120V powered.

Anyhow, my Optima blue top has been punished, and after several years of year round abuse, now off gases after charging, and won't hold a charge. What are your thoughts on upgrades, like sealed lead acid, or a 6 volt system, etc. Our max boondocking would be no more than 3 days typical. Our search function seems to bring such a volume of information, I thought I'd toss the question out.

WFCO 8712P
Input: 105-130 VAC, 60 Hz, 3.0 Amps (163 Watt)
Output:
- Nominal (Absorbtion Mode) 13.6 VDC (includes charging and load);
- Boost (Bulk Mode)14.4 VDC;
- Trickle (Float Mode) 13.2 VDC (after 48hrs)

Thanks in advance to our electrical geniuses on the board. :thumbsup:
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Re: Time for a new battery...what's "hot" these days?

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:32 pm

I have an Interstate 60 AH AGM deep cycle battery that I'm very happy with. The previous incarnation of this battery lasted 6 years of camping with one complete discharge. The 2nd total discharge killed it and I replaced it with the identical battery. Since it's AGM, it lives in the cabin with me and I don't have to worry about maintenance or outgassing.

My $0.02 worth, I'm sure someone will chime in with the total opposite opinion.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby friz » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:13 pm

I am using an Ebay group 27 100 ah. Have been using for over a year. So far so good. Never been below 12v.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:36 pm

I needed a new battery for our Jeep and was planning on a yellow top Optima. Went in to AutoZone and talked to the guy there. He said he wouldn't buy one and really didn't want to sell one either. Which I thought was odd, since they had 7 or 8 of them on display. He said 60% failure rate right at the 3 year point, so just before or just after the warrantee was up.

From what I read the Odyssey batteries are the new hot ones. That are like a yellow top but are spendy.

I'm going to be needing a battery soon too.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby crpngdth2001 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am

KTM_Guy wrote:I needed a new battery for our Jeep and was planning on a yellow top Optima. Went in to AutoZone and talked to the guy there. He said he wouldn't buy one and really didn't want to sell one either. Which I thought was odd, since they had 7 or 8 of them on display. He said 60% failure rate right at the 3 year point, so just before or just after the warrantee was up.

From what I read the Odyssey batteries are the new hot ones. That are like a yellow top but are spendy.

Todd

Your AutoZone dealer is right. Bought an Optima for my wife’s Accord in 2013, died in 2016 and got a free warranty replacement. Just died again last month out of warranty. So 1 failed at just 3 years, another failed at 2. Since they moved production to Mexico back in the early 2010’s, quality has severely declined. The Jeep guys don’t even use them any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crpngdth2001
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Florida Native » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:53 am

KTM_Guy wrote:I needed a new battery for our Jeep and was planning on a yellow top Optima. Went in to AutoZone and talked to the guy there. He said he wouldn't buy one and really didn't want to sell one either. Which I thought was odd, since they had 7 or 8 of them on display. He said 60% failure rate right at the 3 year point, so just before or just after the warrantee was up.

Todd

I had one smaller Odyssey in my motorcycle. Not at all happy with it; it only made it two years. Not sure if they make them with enough capacity for our trailers, but I have had good luck with Panasonic sealed lead acid/VRLA batteries.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Florida Native
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebar » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 am

Nothing but east penn batteries for me..
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:00 pm

friz wrote:I am using an Ebay group 27 100 ah. Have been using for over a year. So far so good. Never been below 12v.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Impressive battery install.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Ditto on the battery box! :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:42 pm

After over 7 years, my battery is still going strong. (I hope saying that doesn't jinx me!) I even ran the battery down to nothing once, when my WFCO went belly-up and I didn't realize it. When I researched it back then, I called the local wheelchair company and they said that MK was the only battery that they would carry. They couldn't say enough about how reliable it was. They said that they had one lady who had hers last 10 years! They said they liked them because these batteries also have a long shelf life.

I think we must have a similar set-up because I also have a WFCO converter and a 55AH AGM. However, I went crazy with the lights and have the equivalent of 8 inside lights (3 doubles and 1 single, as well as 1 CFL) plus two porch lights. I have switched all but the CFL over to LED; plus, I have a key that isolates the battery when not in use.

Please recognize that if you plan to use a solar charging system, there may be a better battery for that...I don't know as I have never needed solar.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby NO David! » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks Team.

Looks like the East Penn Battery 34 AGM is winning. Normally sold under the Deka brand, it appears Sams Club has that exact model under the Duracell label at quite the savings.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-sl34magm/prod3590225.ip?xid=plp_product_1_8

My WFCO converter is suitable for charging it, but I realize I need a steady trickle charge when the trailer is sitting unused, from my maintainer, since the WFCO only reaches float after about 44 hours of run time, which rarely happens for me.

Oh, and friz wins the prize for Best Execution of Installation. and thanks rebar, your comment on East Penn confirms all my digging around on the "interwebs".
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:48 pm

NO David! wrote:Thanks Team.

Looks like the East Penn Battery 34 AGM is winning. Normally sold under the Deka brand, it appears Sams Club has that exact model under the Duracell label at quite the savings.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-sl34magm/prod3590225.ip?xid=plp_product_1_8

My WFCO converter is suitable for charging it, but I realize I need a steady trickle charge when the trailer is sitting unused, from my maintainer, since the WFCO only reaches float after about 44 hours of run time, which rarely happens for me.

Oh, and friz wins the prize for Best Execution of Installation. and thanks rebar, your comment on East Penn confirms all my digging around on the "interwebs".

I just keep my trailer plugged in 24/7/365 except when I'm traveling with it.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Homebrewer25 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Seriously? It says this one is only 20 ah.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby crpngdth2001 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:56 pm

Homebrewer25 wrote:

Seriously? It says this one is only 20 ah.

It’s says the 20ah rate is 55, not a 20ah battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crpngdth2001
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions