DomoArigato's 7x16 Homesteader Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: DomoArigato's 7x16 Homesteader Build

Postby domoarigato » Thu May 10, 2018 6:12 am

Yep, as referenced by flboy earlier in the thread. Just need to build an enclosure that will allow adequate airflow in and out.

-M
Joel.brian wrote:
domoarigato wrote:

The AC unit is a "Through The Wall" unit, meaning that it has no vents on the top, bottom or sides.

Could you have used a regular window ac unit (not through the wall) and just had a slightly larger vented cabinet and it work? Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Sat May 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Been busy with the camper the last couple of weekends. I fashioned up some pulley brackets for my bed lift, painted, installed. Then I finished the ceiling insulation and firring strips. Got the ceiling skinned out and the outside wall of the bathroom skinned. Still have to do the inside bathroom walls and trim the ceiling out, but after that it will be ready for paint. Gloss grey is what we're thinking. More pics to follow as things progress.

I changed my interior design up and am going to do a small two person dinette where the cooler currently sits, and move the cooler to the nose. I think that I am going to move the sink location to the bathroom and make a couple of extra seats where the cooler is moving to. Upper cabinets up front will stay the same per original design.

- Domo

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rainier70 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:34 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very nice work!
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby domoarigato » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Got a little bit done over the last couple of days. Paneled the whole bathroom and AC surround. Uugh, so close to paint, I can taste the latex..

I have an accordian door all set to go in the bathroom door opening. Can't wait for the maiden voyage!ImageImageImageImageImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:34 am

Nice set up Domo, It is nice to get to the paint and finishing stage. That's where progress seams to come in leaps and bounds and you can get a good idea of how liveable this thing will be. Camping soon :twisted:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:02 am

Very cool tub/shower. What size is it and do you have a link? Your build is moving right along, looks great. :thumbsup:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby shootr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:30 am

Iconfabul8 wrote:Very cool tub/shower. What size is it and do you have a link? Your build is moving right along, looks great.

X2 - Very interested in that tub/shower you installed.

Also the bed mechanism - It'd be cool to do that and go down to a 6' wide trailer, but until I research enough to understand how the rope and pulleys are laced, I'll just hang tight. Really nice work!
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby domoarigato » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:22 am

It is a Specialty Recreation 24"x32" tub/shower combo. I like the idea of having a raised wall shower pan to keep water inside. I bought it and had it shipped from rvautoparts.com, but there are others out there as well, just be sure they have available stock. The Lippert tub/shower's seem to have crappy reviews, so I went with this.

The bed lift that I am doing is inspired from a gent on youtube showing off his lift:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPhlUivq_lk#

He has another vid where he gives a bit more info about his design, but not a lot. Pretty cool and clean little lift he has though considering the materials/tools he had available.

I sat down with a few cold beers and a pad of paper one night to wrap my head around the bracket attachment and pulley location/orientation details. I am using 3/16 steel cables and a manual boat crank to lift it. The pulleys are rated at 450lbs each and there is a turnbuckle at the end of each cable, under the platform for fine tuning. I am waiting till after paint to install the cables and all, but I'm pretty confident that it will work. I am hoping to have enough slack between the crank and first pulley to have three positions: 1) Up to ceiling for bike storage and walk around under when bikes are out. 2) mid way down wall (as currently pictured) to allow two cots for the kids under the bed with a walkway between. 3) all the way down so that a ladder is not needed for access (empty nesters, maybe 10yrs down the road or more near future solo bike trips/bro-downs).

Hope this helps. I have a pic a few posts up that show pulley brackets mocked up on the table in the correct orientation before I installed them. Once I lace the system up, I'll take more pics that detail it a little better.

Thanks for the compliments.

-DomoImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Hear are my thoughts on bed raising from an earlier post.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68960#p1211617

I made this sketch a while ago while I was brainstorming with Flboy on how to simplify a bed lift, all the pulleys
are in the bed frame and the cables attach to trailer. Also, I personally don't think you need guides and rails.
The video is a great example of a bed without guides.

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby domoarigato » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:Hear are my thoughts on bed raising from an earlier post.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68960#p1211617

I made this sketch a while ago while I was brainstorming with Flboy on how to simplify a bed lift, all the pulleys
are in the bed frame and the cables attach to trailer. Also, I personally don't think you need guides and rails.
The video is a great example of a bed without guides.

Thats a pretty sweet design! I like that!.. way too far commited in my current setup at this point, but that is a very clean design! Add a two way racheting mechanism on the center bar and you could market that. Set it to specific sizes (full, queen, etc) and all the customer needs is a ceiling that can support the load.

As far as the guide bars goes, I just like to have the structural vertical arms that I can pin out at whatever location that I want (Im'a big boy). We'll have two kids sleeping under us on most trips, so a 5/16 bolt at each corner is a nice clean way to lock the bed out and ensure it doesn't fall. He used a short vertical 2×4 and a chest latch in his video for lower supports when in the sleep position. Figured the unistrut (albeight the weight) would add a nice pro touch to the looks of it. Always 20 ways to skin a cat. I think you're on to something with that pulley design though. Kinda like an inverted garage storage lift of sorts. Cool design!

-Domo

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ottsville » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Nice work Domo.

Where in Central Va are you? I'm near Montpelier and guessing by the kayak in the pictures we have some mutual friends.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby domoarigato » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:17 pm

I am in Powhatan. Yep, the kayak gets used in Richmond mostly, when I actually manage to get out. Used to paddle with dispursed members of the coastals group when first starting, mostly small pods of closer friends at this point. You paddle?

Before starting this camper, I built a deck and wrought iron rails for the back of the house, before that it was the 18x32 shop that I am currently working out of. I told my wife that when I am done this damn camper, I am going to start living a normal life again and start doing fun stuff on the regular again. Riding, paddling, camping, pick up on my drinking.. :-D .. Small projects and easy sailing from here on out!

-Domo

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ottsville » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:49 am

I've been whitewater kayaking for a long time. Crap, as I type that it hits me that it I learned to roll a kayak 30 years ago... I haven't paddled a ton here in Richmond, but I used to live out in Confluence, PA and paddled all over that area and WV. I got a couple of friends who are/were old time Coastals paddlers.

These days I'm mostly rock climbing at Peak and waiting for the mountain bike trails to dry out at Pocahontas. Love the trails there - we're lucky to have such a great trail system here. If you want to ride sometime shoot me an email at (my user name)7 at gmail. Would love to come see your build too.

Charlie
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby domoarigato » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Yeah, you got me by a few years and probably a lifetime of experience! I Started in touring boats bout 20 yrs ago, switched to whitewater and learned a solid roll about 13yrs ago (Chesterfield County has a SOLID OR program, intro classes, roll clinics, pool sessions, play days, etc, hell even SWR classes!, great for an up and coming paddler!). Feeling a bit more mortal being as I had one youngun and another on the way, I mostly paddled Richmond Upper/Lower at levels that I'm comfy with, and a handful of moderate water trips a bit west. Now I have a 9 and 14yr old and looking at longer flat water trips, Columbia to Cartersville type of stuff. I hope to get my son out on the upper and catch the bug as soon as I'm confident in his swimming ability!

On the Poca trails.. man their beautiful, aren't they? Well groomed by a solid volunteer enthusiats workforce! Richmond has some nice trails too as I'm sure you're aware. Been a while since I've done any riding, MTB wise, I really would like to actually carve out some time for that as well though. Shed some winter fat!

I've prettymuch decided to go at this trailer balls deep till I finish at this point. It's getting tiring (enjoyable though), working on this thing weekend in and weekend out. I've decided that I am going to get through this project, then gear down a bit and catch up on some smaller stuff and enjoy the weekends. Two kids, a wife, work and too many extra-curricular intrests, I stay busy..

I regards to coming by and checking out my build, I'm always willing to show off progress to any interested parties! Up to this point since I started paneling, It's hard to communicate what I visualize vs what currently exists to wife, friends, neighbors, but I'm finally getting to a point where things are becoming finalized and spaces are getting filled. I moved the cooler to the front and set up a backless two person cozy (M/F) dinette. I framed the lower cabinets in the nose which will mostly be for converter box, shore power cord, and hot water on demand unit. Now laying out and cutting parts to frame the upper cabinet surround. The plan is to have an electronics charging station and laptop space on large section of counter and a small coffee make on the abstract ledge off of that. Once I get it trimmed out, painted, wired, plumbed and floored, cmon out and take a look. I plan some accessory cabinets a little later, but plan to get it camp ready after these upper cabinets are done.

The bitch of it all is that I made a cardboard template at the beginning, but had to hack it up for tge lower cabinets. I am going to stick build these cabinets mostly in the trailer, as there are too many imperfections to be accounted for to shop build the frames.. uugh.. To be continued.. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:47 pm

After much finishing trim, staple hole spackling, sanding and 3 coats of paint.. the painting is done. Oh, I built wrap around wall cabinets in the v-nose as well.

I have a 8x25 sheet of black raised coin pvc flooring due to arrive on Thursday, so hopefully I'll make some progress on that this weekend.

Things are moving along at a so-so pace, but thr finishing stretch is close.. I can taste it. There will be many finishing touches that will need to be done, but it will be camp ready at least real soon, i hope..

- DomoImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions