DomoArigato's 7x16 Homesteader Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: DomoArigato's 7x16 Homesteader Build

Postby hankaye » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:12 am

domo, Howdy;

Nice, ... very nice. :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby domoarigato » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks Hank!

Slowly chipping away at things. Still have to put a solid coats of primer and paint on the counters, table and seats.

Two person dinette with under seat storage mostly finished. Naturally lit shower, trim ring installed. Counters for cabinets installed. Switch panel, electrical converter box, and hot water on demand control unit mounted. Bathroom sink cabinet secured, needs skinned and sink instalked though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Oops..ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Pinned the bed out at the storage location, put the mattress in and it fits perfectly, I can walk underneath without hitting my head.

The first sheet of luan subfloor is installed. Once all the panels are installed the raised coin rubber flooring will go next. I bought an 8'x25' roll and let me tell you, this crap is heavy.. at least 100+lbs. I am going to try and install the rubber floor in one big sheet minus the bathroom.. thats gonna bd a chore. Prolly going to have to enlist some help for that job.ImageImageImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:12 pm

domo, Howdy;

Ya gonna make some sort of template for the coin mat? Appears you have
what they might call a plethora of obstacles to fit the mat around and about.
Just curious. Oh, and if ya do don't forget to lay the mat out upside down and
get the template oriented properly ... :worship: . Hate to hear ya have to take
a mulligan for it.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby domoarigato » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:17 am

hankaye wrote:domo, Howdy;

Ya gonna make some sort of template for the coin mat? Appears you have
what they might call a plethora of obstacles to fit the mat around and about.
Just curious. Oh, and if ya do don't forget to lay the mat out upside down and
get the template oriented properly ... :worship: . Hate to hear ya have to take
a mulligan for it.

hank
Welp, my plan is to pull all measurements from rear moving forward, trim the whole thing down to the width of the interior, leave an inch of buffer on all the rest of the cuts and trim to fit with a sharp blade once layed out in the camper. Fingers crossed and moving slowly..

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:52 pm

This is how I have seen flooring templates made with some pretty amazing results.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby domoarigato » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:This is how I have seen flooring templates made with some pretty amazing results.
Well chit, I learn something new every day. I have never heard of template felt. I have only used cardboard, and that would be a PITA to make a template that big with as ridgid as it is. Thanks for that, I think that I'll give it a try!

- Domo

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Welp, I finally tackled the floor and the template trick was spot on. Thanks Icon for sharing thst link!

I was going to install the flooring on my ramp doir today, but it occured to me that I have yet to insulate the ramp. Gggrrrr.. plywood off door, insulation now in place. Will be piecing it back together and laying the flooring on it in thd coming days..

Next up, electricity and plumbing.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:26 am

Wow! That turned out great. Looks like you opted to run the pattern tight to the wall rather than do the scribe thing. Did you find that worked as well? Any hints, tips or recommendations? I imagine you learned a few things.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:33 am

Fine job with the floor! Looks super! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby flboy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:56 am

Very nice job on the flooring. Looks great!

I did it the lazy way. I put the flooring down after insulation and BW/GW holding tanks, but before I built any interior walls.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:58 am

domoarigato, Howdy;

Most excellent sir. Also would like you to share your experience with the flooring
hints,tips tricks found, stumbled or light above head experiences.
:thumbsup: , :thumbsup: !! :beer:

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby domoarigato » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:37 pm

Heya, thanks for the compliments! This was my first time laying flooring, so it was all new to me. To start, I made sure to stay hydrated with frosty adult beverages during the whole process, but only because it was so hot outside.. aside from that, just take your time and double check everything before cutting.

Icon, in regard to the scribe, I did opt to just run the template tight to the walls. It was mostly due to my inherent nature to do everything in life the hard way, but also to avoid confusion in my moderately hydrated state. On a semi serious note, there are a few tight angles up front that would have been a little tough to scribe accurately, and I wanted to get everything as tight as possible, so I figured I would do one or the other to avoid confusion vs back scribed front tight..

My process was simple:

- Template the floor
- Flip template and lay out pattern on back/furry side of flooring. The flooring cuts way better from the back side.
- Dry fit flooring
- Roll up section, glue floor, unroll and push bubbles out, rinse/repeat till all sections are glued.

Flboy, I thought about flooring everything before walls, windows and cabinets, but I had too much welding to do inside and it would have been destroyed by the time I was done.

As stated previously, this is going to be a semi dry camper, but with a few caveats. (thinking out loud here)

- The marine toilet will hold the blackwater in its portable tank that we can dump in a bathhouse or dump station w/out moving the camper. (For sites w/out septic)

- The shower and sink will drain directly into the woods unless at a heavily policed campsite (not my kind of campground), which we will divert into a portable grey water container. I see no difference in doing this vs using an outside camping shower in regards to environmental concerns, assuming proper outdoor friendly soaps/shampoos are used.

- There is currently no clean water tank planned for the camper as we plan on staying places with water the majority of the time.

BUT

That said, in more recent plans (I changed tow vehicles recently), I plan on having a clean water container in the bed of my truck with a 12v DC pump attached that can both provide water to the camper, but ALSO can be filled from a remote creek or pond via a pump reversal while utilizing filter to keep debris out in the event that we are boon docking. In this scenario, we would just need to have the generator, propane and a water source near by and we would be in business. It's not the traditional go to plan when designing a camper, but a viabke alternative none the less.

I was going to lay flooring on my ramp door and completely forgot that I still need to insulate the thing before starting.. Much sweat, and a handful of hours later, the ramp door is now insulated and covered with flooring. On to electrical and plumbing!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:47 am

domo, Howdy;

Great lookin' floor job, good ya stayed hydrated, always important.

:beer: 's to ya!

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions