7x20 Cargo Trailer; Round 2

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

7x20 Cargo Trailer; Round 2

Postby pirijodonny » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:08 pm

The first time I converted a cargo trailer I learned a lot. I spent a lot of time and loved the process! This site was so helpful.

My first build (6x12 Cargo Trailer) is here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=64991
I also published all my build in this playlist on youtube:
https://youtu.be/xuZg4NasCVw

We love our trailer and use it so much! It is great for small, compact travel. We feel that it has given us a lot of experience of what we use and don't use. We want to make another and do some things we have always wanted. We want to get our new trailer up to a usable state so that we can sell the first one to complete the second trailer conversion.

The main reasons for the second version is that we want full size standard mattresses in the trailer and we do not want to transform anything to switch from sleeping to living. This is a huge switch for us. We have created the layout so we can give the two kids a standard twin mattress and us a queen mattress. We will have barn doors out the back of the trailer so we can have heavy duty drawer storage that will slide out the back. In the inside middle of the queen bed will be our electrical setup. Out the front on the v-nose we are contemplating a baggage door on each side so we would have drawers slide out the front from under the bottom bunk.

Electrical setup:
We want to power everything except for the Air conditioner (well maybe the air conditioner for a few minutes on occasion) We will have a standard AC 115v mini fridge. Lights will be LED 12v and we will have the receptacles hooked up to an inverter.
(4) 200 watt solar panels on the roof
150/75 victron mppt charge controller
400 AH LifePO4 batteries ( I may buy some used ones that make it more affordable)
3000 Watt Victron multiplus inverter (seems that once I buy a transfer switch, converter, and inverter I am near the price of the multiplus)
Victron Battery monitor
WFCO Distribution panel (the shore power will go directly to the inverter then to the distribution panel) I am using this website is my guide: https://www.explorist.life/200-amp-hour-400-watt-camper-van-solar-kit/ (scroll down to the diagram) This is the guy that has me leaning towards wiring in series on the solar array, but flboy's experience with his series array has me thinking no.

With this setup we should be able to run the fridge, lights, charge laptops, phones, and run some other AC appliances while boondocking. The thing I am not sure on is if I should wire my solar panels in series, parallel, or a series/parallel combo.

Series:
Benefits: I can keep the stock 10AWG PV wire size coming from the solar panels down to the charge controller. I will only need one fuse on the positive lead between the solar panel and the charge controller. I will only need a roof flange for 2 solar panel wires going into the trailer from the roof.
Cons: If one panel breaks/malfunctions the whole series is out of commission. Same if the any or part of the panels are shaded then it impacts the series of panels.

Parallel
Benefits: Panels operate more independently and are not affected by other panels in the array.
Cons: I will need fuses/breakers on each of the positive lines coming from the panel to the joiner box on the roof, then I will need larger gauge wire from the joiner box to the charge controller (this will also limit the length away from joiner to the charge controller.

Series/Parallel combo
I would build two series of 400 watts and then parallel the two sets of 400 watts.
Would there be benefits in cost or size requirement for the charge controller? Or is this just shooting my self in the foot twice?

Would one solar panel setup charge my batteries faster than the other? This is if they both were under the same conditions; full sun fully operational.

Toilet:
This will be a middle of the night emergency only toilet(cassette style toilet). We will not have a shower. We may get an outdoor shower like this:
https://www.joolca.com/products/hottap-v2/?product=HOTTAP-Nomad-Kit&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInJb74NWT5wIVhICfCh0BuQ1qEAQYBiABEgIDUPD_BwE for when we boondock (this will only be on more sporadic occasions.)

For long term stays we always stay at campgrounds that have showers, toilets, and electric hookup. So in the past we have not needed a bathroom or shower in the trailer. We would like to try our hand at boondocking. This is why we have the cassette toilet and then in the future get the outdoor shower. We just don't see the frequency of showering(no campground shower facilities near by) to validate the cost and time to put a shower inside and carry that much water.

We do plan to put a Suburban or Atwood propane furnace in. Do we save a couple a hundred dollars and go for an electric water heater or should we go with a propane water heater too? (In our current trailer we use an electric space heater. When we need hot water we heat it up on the coleman stove or the microwave.)

We are ready to order at the end of this month and pick up the trailer at the end of March. I will be debating, researching, rehashing my decisions quite a bit until I start the build. In the meantime, here are my drawings for the trailer we are going to order to keep the conversation going.

Passenger side drawing:

Driver Side Drawing:

Rooftop drawing:

Floorplan drawing:

I would love suggestions, advice, questions, and direction! Thanks for reading!

I am so excited! :D :twisted: :)
pirijodonny
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 7x20 Cargo Trailer; Round 2

Postby BigDave_185 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:38 pm

Looking forward to following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:36 am

pirijodonny, Howdy;

You might like to read what flboy (aka Don), has written up in this link. Apparently he's
already done the Series/Parallel experiment for ya.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498&p=1258547#p1258547

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:12 pm

I'm looking forward to your build.

You may want to look into Progressive Dynamics power converters instead of WFCO. The WFCO converter in my teardrop quit working after a couple of years. I replaced it with Progressive Dynamics, and have not had any problems for nine years. Here's a link to Progressive Dynamics: https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-centers/.

Others on this forum have had similar experiences with WFCO. That was some time ago, so perhaps they have addressed their quality control issues.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby pirijodonny » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:23 pm

aggie79 wrote:I'm looking forward to your build.

You may want to look into Progressive Dynamics power converters instead of WFCO. The WFCO converter in my teardrop quit working after a couple of years. I replaced it with Progressive Dynamics, and have not had any problems for nine years. Here's a link to Progressive Dynamics: https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-centers/.

Others on this forum have had similar experiences with WFCO. That was some time ago, so perhaps they have addressed their quality control issues.

Thanks for the reminder! I used the PD4045 on my first build and love it. With the new system, I don't need the charger, just a distribution panel. I found one from PD and have updated my supply list.
Thanks!
pirijodonny
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pirijodonny » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:26 pm

hankaye wrote:pirijodonny, Howdy;

You might like to read what flboy (aka Don), has written up in this link. Apparently he's
already done the Series/Parallel experiment for ya.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498&p=1258547#p1258547

hank

I've read his, love what he did. I'll have to read his update. His is one of he reasons I am considering series/parallel, not just series. I may go 24 volt though.
pirijodonny
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pirijodonny » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:00 am

I am so excited! :D :D :D
We ordered our trailer today! We moved the luggage doors to the v-nose on each side. I will build drawers that will come out from under the bunk beds so we can use the storage area more efficiently. It should be ready to pick up mid March or so. Then the build begins! For now I am learning how to build my Own LiFePO4 battery bank as well as designing my solar system. Hopefully I will end up with a very efficient 24 volt system and save some money on the LiFePO4 batteries.

This site has helped me a lot:
https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/
pirijodonny
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions