New Person - Questions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New Person - Questions

Postby Northerntimber » Wed May 26, 2010 1:05 am

Hello,
Let me start by saying that I have read through the Cargo Trailer Conversions (more than once) and noted all the great ideas and insights that the members of the forum have shared in regards to conversions. GREAT WORK indeed!

I am looking into converting a cargo trailer in the not so distant future and have a couple of questions that I would like to ask...

(Little background first - I am married with two children - 7 year old son and 3 year old daughter...the intent of the conversion is to go camping with the family for long weekends and fishing and hunting with my son...nothing overly fancy is truly needed in my opinion...tow vehicle has tow capacity of 5000 pounds with tounge weight of 500...construction skills / finish cabinets not an issue...will not be be hauling any other toys in the trailer)

1. With a smart layout/design would a 6 x 10 or 6 x 12 be a decent size, albeit a little "cramped" when we are all together?

2. How difficult is the interior wiring of the trailer? More than 50% of our camping will be off-grid / boondocks.

3. Has anyone heard of Mirage Xcel trailers? Are they decent?

4. What is a good way to look for a used "uncoverted" cargo trailer?

I appreciate any answers or insights that anyone can provide.

Chris
Northerntimber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Alan Wood » Wed May 26, 2010 1:31 am

Welcome to the forum. As for size do you intend to include a restroom or not. Some camping they way you indicate would, some would not in the 50% off grid boondox scenario you describe. As for the dificutly of interior wiring just what all do you plan on wiring up. Just lights or a refridgerator , lights, stereo, and etc.

If youre thinking about a trailer that amount's to an insulated tent on wheels I would expect that a 6x10 would be adequate and wiring would be pretty simple. If on the other hand you're tryin to fit a 4 person travel trailer into a 6 x 12 well wiring will be rather a substantial task. And I suspect that space will be rather on the crowded side.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Wed May 26, 2010 6:51 am

Chris, what part of Wyo are you in? I ask because if you're SW, then KSL dot com is a great place for used. I did this, but found that for a few hundred dollars more, I could get a new one. And for even a few hundred dollars more, I could order it customized. But KSL listings halways have used ones.

Not sure if you're up north. Look wherever trailers, boats, and RV's are listed.

As to space, my 6X12 would work for sleeping 4 people, but that's all it would do. No room for much of anything else with confortable sleeping quarters for all, and that sounds like your goal.

As was said, if you just want a hard-sided "tent" with lights, maybe a little heat, and not much else except some overhead and/or wall storage, it would work. And remember, the kids will keep growing every year!

Consider a 7X14, dual axle, V-nose.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Northerntimber » Wed May 26, 2010 8:37 am

Thanks for the information thus far...it is appreciated.

I live in Star Valley Ranch along the Wyoming/Idaho border - approximately 40 miles south of Jackson. However, I am always traveling down to Evanston and Rock Springs and over to Idaho Falls every couple of weeks.

Thanks again,
Chris
Northerntimber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gonefishin » Thu May 27, 2010 7:53 pm

I"m in Evanston and Rock Sprs. regularly as well, and through Star Valley many times a summer. For the right deal, you might find what you need on KSL. There are always used cargo trailers listed on there. I would think the Snake River Valley around Idaho Falls would have lots available too.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions