Solar charging question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Solar charging question

Postby drcurran » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:22 am

Tried to do a search on this, but no luck. Hope someone can help. I saw Northern Tool has a 1.8 watt solar charger for 12v battery charging (camping , ATV, RVing, whatever). If you use 12v for CT lights, and mayb a small fan, will 1.8 watt rechage the battery pretty quickly? Thanks for any quidance on this issue.

Dan
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:31 am

...nope, that is actually considered a "maintainer" and not an actual charger...it is designed to keep a sitting battery topped off...consider this, if you used 10amp hours, it would take 5-10 hours to recharge at near max efficiency(which rarely happens)...add up your theoretical usage...amp draw times hours used and divide by the amp output of charger...keep in mind, if a cheapy solar panel reaches 50+% of peak efficiency in hard sunlight, it is doing pretty good..................

madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Thank you!

Postby drcurran » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:56 am

Hey MadJack - Thanks! I sort of figured is was one of those "too good to be true" situations or "you get what you pay for". I'd be better off just letting my truck charge the battery each day. Thanks again!

Dan :)
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
TK
drcurran
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:50 am

...actually did the math wrong...thinking amps not watts...using the correct numbers, it would take 66.66 hours to replace that 10 amp hour usage...this is a unit, you would hook to a boat, RV, car in long term storage to maintain the battery..................
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions