Collapsible Storage

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Collapsible Storage

Postby HSandy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:57 pm

I have used my 5x8 cargo conversion 4 or 5 times now. I have tried to keep the cargo functionality intact and so have little in the way of cabinets and storage. My biggest problem when camping has been too much stuff on the floor and keeping things somewhat organized so I have been looking out for anything that would provide storage but be able to fold away when not in use. I was in the bike shop the other day and saw one of these and picked it up, a Wald 582 rear folding basket. This comes with hardware for mounting to the wall. I think this is going to work pretty well for me though I haven't mounted it yet...

HSandy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CliffinGA » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:12 pm

If you have a place to hang stuff you can get a hanging shoe rack @ home depot that is 12" wide. We use one of these in our pop up camper to hang from the clothe handle and store our clothes in it. when not in use it collapses on to itself because its clothe and stores easy. We also bought wire shelving and habg it from the ceiling with chain and s hooks for storing misc items that are small but light weight to clear space inside. When not in use they brake down easily and store away.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Collapsible Storage

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 pm

HSandy wrote: I was in the bike shop the other day and saw one of these and picked it up, a Wald 582 rear folding basket. This comes with hardware for mounting to the wall. I think this is going to work pretty well for me though I haven't mounted it yet...

I have 4 Wald 582 baskets and have used them for years on my utility and grocery getter bikes. Great company and great product. But the hardware that comes with these baskets is intended for mounting them on a "bike rack".

That's not to say you can't make it work mounted on a wall, but in no way are they selling these things as bike baskets "or" wall mount baskets with accompanying hardware. Still, it is something that would be rather easy to do.

The square holes are rather big, so you might want to drip a bottom in it so small things don't fall through. I actually used a bamboo placemat and cut it to fit, then zip tied it down on one of mine. It's light and made for a really nice custom look. I'll post a pic later.

Before you pull the trigger on that install though, take a trip to "The Container Store" or its equivalent in your area and look around. There are a lot of other options that might work just as good or better. The Wald is little on the heavy side for what it is weighing 2.5 pounds with dimensions designed for a grocery bag.

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby campinwi » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:30 pm

A couple of years ago, Target sold folding wire bookcases that could be made into cubes. They came with connectors also. We used them to make a rabbit cage one year, as well as for camping.

My husband put very heavy duty closet rod brackets up in my 6x10 conversion. We used metal electrical conduit for the rods. I sewed fabric bunks which we also use as shelving when the bunks are not needed.

The closet rods are also great due to the amount of things that can be hung from them. Ikea had a sale this week on hanging organizers for 3.99 each.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Collapsible Storage

Postby HSandy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:39 am

Oasis Maker wrote:
HSandy wrote: I was in the bike shop the other day and saw one of these and picked it up, a Wald 582 rear folding basket. This comes with hardware for mounting to the wall. I think this is going to work pretty well for me though I haven't mounted it yet...

I have 4 Wald 582 baskets and have used them for years on my utility and grocery getter bikes. Great company and great product. But the hardware that comes with these baskets is intended for mounting them on a "bike rack".

That's not to say you can't make it work mounted on a wall, but in no way are they selling these things as bike baskets "or" wall mount baskets with accompanying hardware. Still, it is something that would be rather easy to do.

The square holes are rather big, so you might want to drip a bottom in it so small things don't fall through. I actually used a bamboo placemat and cut it to fit, then zip tied it down on one of mine. It's light and made for a really nice custom look. I'll post a pic later.

Before you pull the trigger on that install though, take a trip to "The Container Store" or its equivalent in your area and look around. There are a lot of other options that might work just as good or better. The Wald is little on the heavy side for what it is weighing 2.5 pounds with dimensions designed for a grocery bag.

Scott

Good idea on the Container Store. Of course, the Wald baskets are made for bikes. I did not mean to imply otherwise.
HSandy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MegC » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:58 am

You might try something like this. Not just for kids any more! I use something similar for keeping winter hats/gloves/scarves corralled in the front closet, very handy.
~ intel gathering until we get more $. If anyone's got a line on a winning lotto ticket or a tooth fairy I can shake down for cash, PM me.
"...believing in human perfectibility starts with trying to force people into a mold, then into a prison, and then into an oven."
MegC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby astrotrailer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:48 pm

I found these at Sam's club a while back. I put in 2 on each wall. Since we sleep with a fold up mattress on the floor, the fold out racks are a nice place to hang up clothing and put up duffles and such.

astrotrailer
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:51 pm

We've been storing our trailer stuff in those Black re-cycled grocery bags from Wal Mart ... $1.00 each , very sturdy with nice handles ... When empty , just fold them up and stick in another bag ... and they hold a LOT of stuff too ... very light !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions