Painting aluminum cargo trailer roof for heat protection

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Jeffmo63 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:29 am

kennyrayandersen wrote:
Jeffmo63 wrote:Yes, I think you are right about the aluminum. But I am nearly certain my trailer top is sheet steel like the sides. I had planned on washing it down really well with soap and water, rinsed, and followed with a scuffing with one of those green weenies (3M Scotchbrite pad). A wipe with mineral spirits just before painting ought to do it.

Somehow I was thinking it was aluminum -- so many of them I see are -- sounds like that should work OK

OH, I just realized Steve was saying HIS was aluminum -- I knew I had read that somewhere.

Yeah, sometimes these threads can get a little complex.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby Jeffmo63 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:26 pm

Here are a few pics of before and after. I really hope this helps the heat problem. Between this, insulation, and powered vent I think I will be ok. See album for additional pics.
Image Image
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Temp

Postby Jeffmo63 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:35 pm

I noticed an immediate improvement in the inside temperature due to painting the roof white. It was not much warmer than ambient and the sun was blazing today.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Re: Temp

Postby Elmosaurus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Jeffmo63 wrote:I noticed an immediate improvement in the inside temperature due to painting the roof white. It was not much warmer than ambient and the sun was blazing today.

It this pre-insulation?

:thinking:

E.
Elmosaurus
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Temp

Postby Jeffmo63 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:50 pm

Elmosaurus wrote:
Jeffmo63 wrote:I noticed an immediate improvement in the inside temperature due to painting the roof white. It was not much warmer than ambient and the sun was blazing today.

It this pre-insulation?

:thinking:

E.

I have about 2/3 of the overhead insulation temporarily installed. It is 3/4 inch extruded polystyrene (the Pink Panther stuff). It works easily and appears to be effective. Next step is to use adhesive to permanently install the sheets. My album has a pic of one of the panels.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Insulation

Postby Jeffmo63 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Here is the overhead with the insulation installed. Note temporary bracing while thee adhesive cures.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:45 am

J , sorry if I missed it , but what adhesive did you use to attach the foam ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:48 am

R value of the pink stuff ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Trackstriper » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:51 am

GPW wrote:R value of the pink stuff ???

Looks like R4 in the photo above.

I painted the top of my cargo trailer recently also. I have not yet put the insulation in and just the white paint makes a lot of difference. I wanted the trailer to look rather "stock" so I painted only the top side, leaving the rolled over portion raw, this was an intentional compromise. You don't see the paint from normal eye level. You can readily feel the temperature difference of the sheet metal from inside the trailer, painted vs. raw, when the sun is bearing down, even at 9:00am. Slow the initial heat gain with a reflective color then slow the heat transmission with insulation. White works fairly well as a color. I've tried samples of silver and they didn't do as well.

Most of the garden variety of cargo trailers that I've seen will use a galvanized steel roof. They may use an aluminum wrap over the curved portion of the roof as in Jeffmo63's trailer, but dollars to donuts the inner section that was painted is galvanized steel. Easy to check with a magnet. So the trick is properly cleaning and priming for a galvanized surface, which your local paint dealer can help you with. Painting galvanized can be tricky.

I painted a cargo trailer roof about eight years ago and went with a Sherwin-Williams primer called Galvite HS. This stuff is a little spendy but it will stick to the metal. The only surface preparation that I did was to wash the roof with a little dish detergent and water to get any dirt off. Paint applied with roller, and brush for the details...it doesn't have to look great on top of a cargo trailer, just function. My brother owns the first trailer that I painted and there have been no problems with adhesion, it lives out in the weather. Both trailers were topcoated with S-W DTM acrylic water-borne paint. I just didn't want to have to deal with peeling paint in the future.

Bruce
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:17 am

Oops , missed reading the insulation ... :oops:
Thanks , that's great info about the SW primer... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jeffmo63 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:32 pm

GPW wrote:J , sorry if I missed it , but what adhesive did you use to attach the foam ???

I used a product called PL300 Foamboard Adhesive. It is made by the Henkel Corporation out of mentor, OH. There is website: www.stickwithpl.com. I found it at Menards right next to the foamboard. It says it will not attack foam and I found this to be correct.
Last edited by Jeffmo63 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby Jeffmo63 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:39 pm

GPW wrote:R value of the pink stuff ???

R-4. There has been a lot of chatter about the R value of the various insulations. A post that made sense to me suggested not to worry too much about the R value because the areas we are dealing with are so small. I think the general idea (at least in this case) is to reduce heat transmission to managable level. As I stated earlier (or in a different thread) between the white roof, insulation, crossflow ventilation, and thermostatically controlled fan I am hoping to get the heat problem under control.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions