tankless water heater

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby michaelwpayton » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:27 pm

mx842 wrote:
Shadow Catcher wrote:We went with a conventional RV gas electric 6gal water heater. Park power when plugged in gas when not. KISS and dependable and not too esoteric.

How much room does that setup take? I'm kind of cramped for space but I like the idea of being able to heat water and not have to run the geni at times. I don't have propane lines in my construction plans but I guess I could run something like that with a portable tank.

This is a link to an electric point-of-use heater, 2.5-6 gallon models: http://www.electricwaterheaters.com/ariston/aristonwwaterheaters.htm They look to require about 14"x14"x10"... or so.
-Michael

"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"
michaelwpayton
Teardrop Master

Re: Tankless Water Heaters

Postby Kixwy2 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Engineer Guy wrote:
On another note, WallyWorld now sells Coleman Solar Showers for the amazing price of $6.90. 5 gallons capacity; good for 2 showers or so.

That's what I've got, and what I've used in emergencies at the house (don't ask). That and some biodegradable camp soap will be fine for any extended stays. I'm trying to keep mine slick but simple.

@mx: Some friends of mine have a shop that has a tankless water heater. Gets very hot very quickly and draws about 12 amps. Not sure what the specs on your eBay unit are, but I'd dedicate a separate fuse and 20 amp circuit for it, so you don't accidently blow the microwave or something. :)
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Pressure cooker water heater

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Here's my solution:

Holds 4 gallons, heat to desired temperature on stove, presurize with air pump, and you have a nice shower. Also doubles as a dishpan than can be reheated at will when the dishwater gets cold (I hate doing dishes in cold water).

You're in So. Cal. You provide the pressure cooker and a few std parts and we can modify it in about a half an hour. I got one pressure cooker at a garage sale for five bucks and another of of EBay for a bit more.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:40 am

Still thinking Solar is the way to go ... Simple , CHEAP, and "GREEN"... We've already ruined the planet , no need to burn anything else with that HUGE energy source right above us ... and it's FREE !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Solar option on pressure cooker

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:58 pm

If you paint the pressure cooker black with some BBQ paint it becomes a "dual fuel" water heater. Solar for when the sun is shining or heat on stove for when you need "instant gratification". If you place a couple of mirrors so they reflect the sun onto it, you have a "supercharged" solar water heater!

Best of both worlds.

cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:28 am

Great idea Gus !!! :thumbsup: Black anodized PC would be even better ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Tankless Water Heaters

Postby mx842 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:37 am

Kixwy2 wrote:
Engineer Guy wrote:
On another note, WallyWorld now sells Coleman Solar Showers for the amazing price of $6.90. 5 gallons capacity; good for 2 showers or so.

That's what I've got, and what I've used in emergencies at the house (don't ask). That and some biodegradable camp soap will be fine for any extended stays. I'm trying to keep mine slick but simple.

@mx: Some friends of mine have a shop that has a tankless water heater. Gets very hot very quickly and draws about 12 amps. Not sure what the specs on your eBay unit are, but I'd dedicate a separate fuse and 20 amp circuit for it, so you don't accidently blow the microwave or something. :)

Microwave?? what's that? We cook on sticks over an open fire. :lol:

I'll put what ever heater I go with on a circuit of it's own and hopefully the geni will be able to keep up with the AC, the boom box and the water heater all at the same time.

Right now everything is on hold until I can finish building my fresh water and bike wash tanks and get them mounted so I can plan out where and how to mount and run all the piping. I should be finished welding them up this week hopefully.
mx842
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mx842 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:43 am

I guess I could use one of those rubber ballast tanks like they use in some ski boats. They hold about 12 to 15 gals of water. I could just lay it out on the top of the trailer and by the end of the day free hot water. I don't know how it would turn out in the winter tough. I think I have one of those tanks somewhere....let me see if I can find it. Hummmmmmm :applause:
mx842
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:31 am

Yet another good idea !!!
I can use my solar cooker in the winter sun .. no reason a black rubber ballast tank shouldn't heat enough to provide a comfortable shower...
I don't know about snow as we never have any .. :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mx842 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:58 pm

GPW wrote:Yet another good idea !!!
I can use my solar cooker in the winter sun .. no reason a black rubber ballast tank shouldn't heat enough to provide a comfortable shower...
I don't know about snow as we never have any .. :oops:

Well we get some here, not like further north but it gets cold enough to where you would probably have to put a heater on the ballast tank to keep it from freezing before it warmed up. :lol:
mx842
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:53 am

Sorry , we usually never get that cold here... viz. same latitude as Cairo Egypt ... Hot enough here now any water is warm enough for a shower .... hahahaha
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wishbone » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Let Me tell You guys about My Cheep Pressure hot water Shower I've been using for almost 25 years now. Original ones Bottom Rusted out. I now have a Brand New 3 gallon Plastic Bug Sprayer. Cut off Bug Sprayer end and with the help of plactic splice & 2 3/8inch Hose Clamps, I put a sink Rinse Hose on Sprayer hose. (The Black one that pull out next to kitchen Sink faucits) I heat up a Tea kettle of water till it "Whistles" then put in Sprayer and add about 2 &1/2 gallons of cool water to Tank. Screw lid with Pump back on & Pump up Sprayer up till You cant pump any more. The get into Shower. I have a Cabellas outside Shower Tent. You have to shower differntly than at Home. Wet & wash Hair First, then Rinse. Wet wash cloth & wash rest of body & feet last. Rinse water from hair will wet rest of Body. My wife & I Can both take a Shower on 3 Gallons of Water. I wish I had a Picture of this Set up, I'd post it. I think I have less than 50 bucks in it. Zodi has something like it with a Stainless Steel tanked mounter over a Propane Burner. Not Cheep. Hope I explained this set up alright. Wishbone-Ks
Wishbone
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:01 am

Wishbone ... Great idea ... Thinking , siliconing a small thermometer on the side would give you an idea of how hot the water is ... Maybe a black sprayer out in the sun for a while ... (always sunny and hot here) No reason for all that plumbing ... just more weight and maintenance.. :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions