Cargo Conversion ...on the CHEAP

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby d30gaijin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:24 pm

GPW wrote:D30, as a Jayco FS 197 owner , be SURE to have the paper thin roof inspected by your dealer EVERY 6 Months!!!!!! Right after my warranty ran out , it started to develop de-lamination ... Factory refused repairs, said it was my fault for not having the trailer regularly inspected by the dealer (every 6 months) although I inspected it myself and kept it clean and waxed, as suggested by the dealer... Dealer repairs are RIDICULOUSLY expensive ... $5000 for roof repair , who knows how much to repair the front cap de- lamination. :o And the factory told me that I should have had the roof re-sealed EVERY year by the dealer ... at a cost of $1200.00 each time (not mentioned at the time of purchase) Read the fine print !!! :roll: Caulking /sealing is NOT covered by the warranty ... I figure after we have the front cap repaired , we will have spent the price of the trailer again in just repairs ... :thumbdown: Trying to sell a 3 year old trailer , I found out now it is worth less than I still owe, even though we used it once and only ran the AC and radio ... GRRRRR!!! Just a big Money pit ... Parts from the factory are silly EXPENSIVE for what they are, dealer charges as much as a rocket scientist , together it's a great plan to stay in your pocket ... :twisted: Just a maintenance Nightmare !!! I know I've said this all before , but I'm still P****d off about this ... :x
Hope you have better Luck than I have ... That's why I'm going with a cargo trailer , which is Made to live outside ... curiously enough.. and the simple appliances will cost one fifth of what RV ones do ... :o

GPW,

Geeez I hope we don't have the problems with our Jayco you did. We've owned it for a year now and have been quite happy with it but guess we'll have to take a wait and see on that. We did buy the 6 year extended warranty but I will take your advice and inspect the roof regularly.

After shopping around for RV appliances for the cargo conversion I came to the same conclusion you did, stupidly expensive for RV stuff when Home Depot and other on-line places have stuff that works as well for a lot less. I bought an 800 Watt microwave with turn-table for $98 for the cargo conversion from Compact Appliances with free shipping.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:58 am

Here's an interesting video about how the Jayco's are built in 6 hours, 32 per day ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 3#32468163

It appears that everyone is in a big hurry to get it done quickly... Not much QC I can see ...

Bruce , I wish you the Best of Luck with your TT... best keep/store it inside for fewer problems ... and be SURE to carefully read the fine print on your warranty to see what is and what is NOT covered...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:10 am

GPW I agree, not much QC and now I fully understand why most trailers seem so flimsy. Just as a contrast I went looking for similar video from other makers and did not find any in the high end i.e. Airstream, Glacier Bay, and Forest River. Glacier Bay btw has a five year warranty.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:57 am

Wish I'd seen that before I bought one ... That would have changed my mind ... screwed now !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:57 am

So many reasons why the cargo conversion is the logical choice ....

I built my first TD , cost me roughly $2800.00 ... I could have bought a CT and saved all that labor/time ...(But it was great Fun building it!)
They live outside , although we have a shed , with a minimum of fussy maintenance ... increasingly difficult for we "old people"..
Cheap and easy to convert ... Insulate , do your decor thing ...can be simple to opulent (sorta') ...
Inexpensive appliances , easy to replace ...on the road ...
Lighter , easy to tow... and work on ..

Now in keeping with the "thrifty" theme ... somewhat appropriate with our current economy, we've been looking around for a good used Cargo trailer... Everybody here seems to have one , mostly tradesmen, used ones being hard to find unless it's a rusted out S box...
I know I can buy a new one as a last resort , but Every free Ken time I do that , people start giving them to me after ... Still looking ...intently... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:04 am

Question: Torsion springs or leaf springs .... seeing both .. Don't know ...???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:08 am

Here's my sink !!! :o :roll: :thumbsup: Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions