Shower/Sink Question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Shower/Sink Question

Postby kempshark » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:04 pm

I see some people installing showers and/or sinks in their cargo conversions. One question: Where are you draining the water to? Do you have holding tanks or are you draining onto the ground? I'm assuming most campgrounds might not be happy with draining shower water (a fairly large volume) onto the ground at the campsites? I'm new to any type of camping other then in a tent, so I've never dealt with issues such as greywater, electrical, and such......so please excuse my ignorance.
kempshark
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Shower/Sink Question

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:17 pm

kempshark wrote:One question: Where are you draining the water to? Do you have holding tanks or are you draining onto the ground? I'm assuming most campgrounds might not be happy with draining shower water (a fairly large volume) onto the ground at the campsites?

You are correct, need a bucket, holding tank or some other mean of collecting the gray water and dispose of it in a proper location. Typically down the drain, or sewage clean out. Not on the ground.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby 8ball_99 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:41 am

I have holding tanks under mine for black and grey water just like all RVs do. 90% of the time we camp in places where we can drain the grey water before we leave. If your camping in typical camp grounds then in most cases you wont have anywhere to drain the water except for the dump station. Most people seem to be worried about doing a little plumping. IMO running water and holding tanks are pretty nice things to have in a camper. Really to me they are the main reason to step up from a tent to a camper.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby kempshark » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:11 am

8ball_99 wrote:I have holding tanks under mine for black and grey water just like all RVs do. 90% of the time we camp in places where we can drain the grey water before we leave. If your camping in typical camp grounds then in most cases you wont have anywhere to drain the water except for the dump station. Most people seem to be worried about doing a little plumping. IMO running water and holding tanks are pretty nice things to have in a camper. Really to me they are the main reason to step up from a tent to a camper.

Running the plumbing doesn't scare me. The shower/sink would mainly be for the wife. I wouldn't put either in if it were just for me. In Florida the main reason for stepping up from a tent to a camper would be a/c....at least 6-9 months out of the year!! :) Almost all (if not all) of my camping would be done at campgrounds, so I think I would only need the tanks for gray water (and no supply tanks). I really don't think I want to deal with a toilet and sewage waste.

I really want to do a cargo conversion (and plan on doing one), but I have to wait a little while. I might just start accumulating some supplies/parts as I find good deals. Right now I have too many other things going on and a lack of space to build it at this moment. I did, however, just get access to a place to store it free of charge. I can't store it at my house due to deed restrictions.
kempshark
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 8ball_99 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:37 am

Places we go might have a bath house, might not.. We go trail riding and alot of times we go to places having large events. On event weekends or just holiday weekends getting into the bath house can be a job. I guess I'm a little spoiled.. Something about standing in line with my cloths to take a shower or digging a hole in the woods just doesn't appeal to me :thumbdown: One of the places we go we can camp for free by a small river, But that area is a couple miles from the bath house and most of the trails. We are a little different then most on here I guess. We don't ever go to a typical campground with hookups and packed with RVs. Most of the time we are pretty much in a field up against a tree line.

The sewer part really isn't bad to deal with. With a holding tank setup its much easier to deal with waste then with a port potty type deal. Just hook a hose up pull a valve and it drains then flus the toilet a few times to help clean it out.
8ball_99
500 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions