Installed large computer fan

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Installed large computer fan

Postby southpennrailroad » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:11 pm

Here is my ceiling fan @ the vent installed today. It slides to allow the crank to close the vent. The white track allows the fan to glide out of the way. I have snap on clips to keep it from moving during travel stop and go's.

In this top photo, the fan stops just at the handle actually centering the fan as seen.

Haven't got it hooked up yet and it runs off 12 volt. Think this will help?
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Looks good

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:39 pm

It looks like good "outside the box" thinking to me.

What type fan is it?

How much current does it draw?

How much noise does it make?

Are you considering slowing down with a PWM controller?

Looks like something I might want to use.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:42 pm

My son gave me the fan and as stated it is not hooked to power yet. I am thinking of a slow speed switch. Says 12 volt. 0.40A on the tag.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby d30gaijin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Excellent ingenuity and a great idea! :applause:

I can use that idea since I have the same type of roof vent as you in my CT. Now I'll go on the prowl for a computer fan.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:45 pm

d30gaijin wrote:Excellent ingenuity and a great idea! :applause:

I can use that idea since I have the same type of roof vent as you in my CT. Now I'll go on the prowl for a computer fan.

Don

My son got this for me from his broken computer so if you ask where you might get it I can't answer. It has three wires Black/Red/White wires and on the tag explains which is each. The white brackets are window vynal trim. Did I mention I work for a window company and have access to toss out pieces? I can't wait to get it hooked up to see how noisy it might be or how powerful it will work. :roll:
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby NathanL » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:57 pm

If you don't like the speed of the fan, too noisy/too fast you can pick up a fan controller at a computer shop or order one for less than $10 and it has the connectors already made onto it with a dial so you can slow down the fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
NathanL
The 300 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:09 pm

NathanL wrote:If you don't like the speed of the fan, too noisy/too fast you can pick up a fan controller at a computer shop or order one for less than $10 and it has the connectors already made onto it with a dial so you can slow down the fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

I just tried the fan this afternoon and it was very (non existent noise at all) quiet. Maybe because of the way the fan is laying it doesn't make any sound. I used the wire for the O2Cool fan AC supply wire to test it. Works but doesn't seem to pull any air out. However my next step will be to shroud the out lying areas to control the flow of air out the fan instead of the outlying areas around the fan. I also don't think I will need a speed control either. The O2Cool fan makes more noise then this does. Super quiet.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:43 pm

One of the things to remember is that a good but of engineering has gone into making these fans as silent as possible while still moving a fair volume of air. My first home built gaming computer sounded like a B17 at full throttle with all the fans running and quite frankly I think it cost me some hearing. Our case fans are set to blow in and are sufficient at low to medium power settings.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions