This seems sketchy...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

This seems sketchy...

Postby Kixwy2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:17 pm

So I was trolling Craigslist looking for a decently priced trailer and saw a 2002 scamp trailer listed for $2300. Hmm, I thought, and figured I would email the seller to see what kind of condition it was in.

I got back this:
---
Hello I’m David, sorry for my delay in response, but currently I work on a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico and I have been very busy with my work. Anyway, thank you for your interest in buying the camper. The total price for my 2002 Scamp Camper Trailer is $2,300. I wanted to keep the trailer but I left the city for a better job in Gulf of Mexico, so I decided to sell it. The trailer is in showroom condition, no liens; it was never involved in an accident.

for more photos click here: http://picasaweb.google.com/davidkrieger2001/Camper#

So if you are interested please email me back so I can explain you how the transaction will work.

---

So, the seller is not in CA (where the listing was posted), the trailer has a Minnesota plate, and is already talking about the "transaction"?

Cute trailer, but... no.
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 pm

probably a scam... you should mess with him :twisted:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 pm

I saw one similar to this, for a truck. Priced way too low. The guy said he was in California, and the truck was in Montana, but he would ship it anywhere.

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true."
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Run

Postby Engineer Guy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:45 pm

This exact scenario has been identified by several legitimate buyers on Craig's List as the scam it is. The item for sale is never in the same area as the Seller. The price is way too low. They mention some reason for all this to gain your sympathy [working in the Gulf]. They will then ask for money to be sent under some B.S. excuse. Blah, blah, blah. Identify them to Craig's List and bust their chops. Or, as suggested above, muck with them. Send them no money, but waste their time on answering you on details. They'll think they have a 'live on' on the line.

You don't have to e.mail back to understand how this transaction is going to work. The fake Seller will take your money and you'll never hear from them again.

As some eBay Sellers have discovered, your Bank can tell you a Buyer's Check has cleared. This doesn't mean the fake Buyer's money is actually in your Account; that Electronic Transfer often happens later. That can take up to another week. Meanwhile, these scumbags have the item you've shipped to them.

To quote Pink Floyd from 'The Wall': 'run, run, run, run...'.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby Kixwy2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Yeah, as soon as I saw the email this morning, I knew it was a scam. It's unfortunate, since the original CL ad sounded a bit more legit. I emailed craigslist and it's now removed.

I once helped nail a guy on eBay for hacking into another person's account and attempting to scam people out of money via fake Macbook sales. It was awesome. I strung him along until I had a bunch of damning evidence, then emailed the account holder, eBay, and the hacked account holder's local police fraud division. Two weeks later the account holder emailed me to say the guy had been tracked and picked up for identity theft and fraud. :D

Anyway, this was the original ad:

Date: 2010-07-31, 12:47PM
** Reply to **

2002 Scamp 13' Camper. This is a 13' Scamp with the factory "package" options. I am the original owner and bought this new from the factory. It has a 3-way fridge, stove, furnace, 110 outlets, 12volt outlet, 12 gallon fresh water tank, screen door, 20lb. propane tank, 12v battery, sink, and a Fantastic Fan. I added removable/adjustable shelves in the clothes closet to make it into a pantry for food. Everything works perfectly. This sleeps 4 with a dinette that converts to a double bed and the couch that converts to bunk beds. This Scamp is in excellent condition. It has been stored indoors year round since new. In the winter it is put on jack stands with the wheels off the ground and stored in a heated garage. It has not been smoked in and I have not cooked in it. It does not leak. There are some rock chips on the lower front from being towed but nothing major. In the inside of the silverware drawer there is some paint worn away from the silverware tray sliding around. There are some marks in the fridge from cans rubbing on the sides. I have all the original paperwork that goes with it. It weighs approximately 1100 lbs. with a hitch weight of around 100lbs. The tires are in good shape and the camper is ready to travel. It has a 6-way rv plug for wiring. It does not have trailer brakes. ** Reply to: **

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions