what kind of heater to buy

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

what kind of heater to buy

Postby jwhite » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Now it is getting colder out I need to think about getting a heater and wonder what kind to get.
I have used the oil filled type that gives off radiant heat and they are nice,
but I would have to run the generator and I would like to only run the generator when I have to.
with the Air Conditioning I have no choice but to run the generator
With heating it my be that I can use Gas to heat with.
I have read about people useing the Mr buddy heater but I haven't seen one working to know how well it works.
any suggestions?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:27 pm

I've been using a portable propane heater in my 6X12 for nearly a year now. (I use it most every evening/morning except for June 15-Aug 15 where I live and camp!) I have the Coleman Pro Cat. I always crack a window or two. I don't go to sleep with the heater running, even though I seriously doubt it would be a problem. Most importantly, I have a Carbon Monoxide detector on the wall of my trailer, and make sure the batteries are fresh and the thing is working. Its never gone off, even when I've run the heater for hours and hours continuously.

The portable propane heater is perfect for me. Convenient and efficient. Works at high elevations. (I've used it at 9,000 ft-no problems)

This one: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=3000&product_id=5053A751
Gonefishin
Donating Member

The Heat Is On

Postby Engineer Guy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:57 pm

This would be my first choice if building today. I like the profile; mounting options; and electricity-free operation. It has to be BTU-sized to the application, obviously.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=catalytic+heaters&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14874121550893103269&ei=tcLYTISeAYOosAOavvWECA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDQQ8wIwAg#

I've used a Little Buddy in my Trailer at ~6,100', and they're nice. They can be wall hung, and fitted to large Propane Tank supplies. They're ~1/2 the price of the Camco and output more BTUs at that price. I loaned it to a pal to use at 8,800' elevation, and it kept safety shutting off from lack of Oxygen due to the altitude difference from Sea Level. But, that's only one case. A CO Gas Detector is always a must.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby dudleydoright » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 am

i have slept many times well below zero in tents and trailers, no way would i use any type of gas heater when i'm asleep, pile on the blankets and comforters. you only get one life!!!!!!!
GONE FISHIN'

ddr
dudleydoright
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Just for we "electric" folks , we got a small , cheap "Milk house " heater 1500Watts from Wal Mart ... put outs a good amount of heat ... thermostat too ... amp hungry ... so you have to use shore power ...

Something like this , but I only paid about $17.00 ... on sale http://www.walmart.com/ip/TPI-Portable- ... s/13145362

More like it !!! http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dog812 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:54 pm

I just have a lil 5 x8. I bring 2 heaters, one electric. One coleman pro cat propane.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5053a751&categoryid=3000

Works great.. have a co sensor and it has never gone off.
My 5x8 Cargo conversion gallery - http://postimage.org/gallery/1gh9916q0/
Upgrades - lifted, added window, led lights, screen door, awning, battery, flooring, folding shelves....etc.
dog812
Teardrop Builder

Postby kstephenson » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:25 am

Hello Campers..... Just thought I d throw my 2 cents in here.
If I am camping in a site with shore power I use my 1500 watt oil filled radiator heater. Away from shore power......pile on the blankets and burn a few candles at night. My 6 x 12 is insulated with 3/4 inch foam insulation. Works great
After 11 years camping out with the US Army I am okay with a few less modern conviences

Happy Camping
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sqweasel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:50 pm

FYI...Just tried an experiment today. 33 degrees out so I closed the roof vent plugged in a new CO & explosive gas detector I got at "Maynards", taped over the flow through vents and turnred on the "Little Buddy" heater on HIGH. I left the trailer all closed up and monitored the detector through the window and waited for either the alarm to go off or the heater to shut down with the "low O2" shut off feature. It took almost an hour before the low oxy sensor shut the heater down. When I checked the CO detector's CO level history readout, it recorded 29 PPM(parts per million), well below the low level exposure limit of 50 PPM. Interesting :thinking:

Next experiment will be same, but with flow throughs open and roof vent open about 1 inch. I want to see what the CO level history records with things set up like that.

I too have great cold weather camping gear, I'm just curious about what the heater will do to the air when I do run it
sqweasel
Teardrop Inspector

I installed this propex and love it

Postby Crazylegs » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:24 am

I installed this propex and love it

Image[/url]

It is vented and thermostatically controlled and very small.

I do allot of High altitude camping even in the winter and it is great.
Very low amp draw.Current Consumption:1.4A continuous running Air Throughput:60 C.F.M. and this should take good care of me at 6500BTU Average consumption 142 grams/hour.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_316
Crazylegs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:43 am

That is very similar to the "Atwood Everest Star II Furnace" heater I have...

http://www.ducktec.com/itmidx14.htm

I use the 12,000 btu version. Like the Propex, it has a low current draw, and is vented to the outside, and is thermostatically controlled. Oh, and it's safe!

I would never use an unvented heater in something as small as a teardrop.

Like dudleydoright said, "you only get one life!!!!!!!"

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby hberg » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but I have searched, looked at the owners manuals, etc and I haven't found the answer.

How does the Atwood or Protek connect to the propane tank? Do you run a flexible hose or is it copper? Either way how did you run it from the tanks outside to the heater inside? Can it be easily detached? Thanks
hberg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:54 pm

hberg wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but I have searched, looked at the owners manuals, etc and I haven't found the answer.

How does the Atwood or Protek connect to the propane tank? Do you run a flexible hose or is it copper? Either way how did you run it from the tanks outside to the heater inside? Can it be easily detached? Thanks

Look at this kit: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1173_205/propex_heater_installation_kit.html

Usually copper, but i'm sure you can use a "flexible" hose too.
Jo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Does anyone here have a wood stove in a tiny trailer?

I'd like to have a Sardine wood stove, but the cost is about $1000

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Love your new 'look', Steve; but, you really don't have to hug or pet the heater's stove pipe. You can't like it that much! :lol:

Somebody here on the forum has a wood stove installed but I can't remember exactly where I saw it. Maybe a search would find it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pete42 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:28 am

Steve I would never install a stove like the one in your picture I'm told that the gentleman was only 20 something when he slept one night with the stove on and he now looks like a dried out apple..... :)
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions