Propane Time

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Propane Time

Postby Xtremespeed » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Finally getting to the point of plumbing my propane.

I am planning to mount a 20lb tank on the tongue, and use it to run my water heater and I would also like a way to connect my propane heater. My water heater is under the sink, so I was planning to run black pipe to a tee under the trailer and one flexible line going to the water heater and another flexible line with a quick connect for my propane heater inside the sink cabinet.

My questions are, exactly what flexible lines do I need, and do I need a regulator at the tank. I can't find anything in the manual for the water heater that mentions a regulator, and I'm pretty sure my Big Buddy heater doesn't require one. I already have a hose to connect my Buddy heater to the 20lb tank, but I don't know if I'll be able to use it with this setup or not. It's this one.

Xtremespeed
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Propane Time

Postby parnold » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:32 pm

I bought stainless steel braided gas lines for my trailer. I feel a little safer knowing that they won't wear through. I'll have the black pipe going to a point between my two appliances, with a tee, and the two braided hoses from there.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Yes you do need a regulator, I went with a two stage with a rubber hose down to what will eventually be copper pipe back to the water heater cook top and the gas point for the gas grill.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Xtremespeed » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Are most regulators all the same? I wasn't sure if using one would work when the heater already has a built in regulator, I think?
Xtremespeed
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:45 am

I tried to find information on the heater but for some reason the pdf will not open, It appears the heater does have an internal regulator and yes that screws things up and means that you have to have the high pressure hose for the heater and the low pressure regulated for the water heater. You can T off of the tank and run both but I am betting there is a way to do a conversion so both can run off of the low pressure by removing the internal regulator on the heater. Call them and find out.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:25 am

one thing you could do is remove the regulator from your big-buddy heater.
or install a regulator near your water heater, altho most are at the propane tank
when I say near I don't mean inside the trailer.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Xtremespeed » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:13 pm

I can't find anything that says what kind of regulator I need for the water heater.
Xtremespeed
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pmowers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I tried to find information on the heater but for some reason the pdf will not open, It appears the heater does have an internal regulator and yes that screws things up and means that you have to have the high pressure hose for the heater and the low pressure regulated for the water heater. You can T off of the tank and run both but I am betting there is a way to do a conversion so both can run off of the low pressure by removing the internal regulator on the heater. Call them and find out.

On my Big Buddy heater there is a quick connect that bypasses the regulator. The manual " http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newslett ... _rev_a.pdf says
"GAS PRESSURE AT HEATER IS REGULATED AND FIXED AT 11” W.C. WHEN USING A REMOTE HOSE CONNECTION TO HEATER TANK SWIVEL(S), DO NOT REGULATE OR REDUCE PROPANE TANK SUPPLY PRESSURE TO HEATER.
• WARNING: ANY HOSE CONNECTION TO A QUICK DISCONNECT FITTING ON HEATER MUST BE REGULATED TO 11” W.C. PRESSURE
• REGULATOR IN HEATER MUST ALWAYS BE IN PLACE DURING OPERATION"

The hose that you showed is an adapter for replacing the 1 lb tanks. Mr. Heater recommends Part # F271803 - 12 ft. PROPANE HOSE ASSEMBLY w/quick disconnect fittings and 11” W.C. regulator w/Acme nut or (F271802 has a 3/8" flare nut instead of the regulator).

So, if you hook up to the heater through the quick disconnect, you can use the regulator at the tank and supply both the heater and the water heater. There should be a plate on the side of the water heater valve giving the specs for the heater. I wonder if you could use a regulator for a gas grill? Have you checked with your local LP gas distributor? A lot of them have a large variety of parts and accessories. The BORG used to carry the hoses, they are probably on season-end clearance right now.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby Xtremespeed » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Thanks for the info. I forgot about the quick connect on the Buddy heater, and I didn't realize it bypassed the regulator. That solves that issue nicely. Now if 11" wc is acceptable for the water heater, I'll be set.
Xtremespeed
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:15 pm

Found the PDF for the heater which shows the internal regulator.http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newslett ... _US_BL.pdf
Single stage regulators are suitable for such items as your heater but are not for RV applications such as your water heater. RVIA standards call for a two stage regulator. To answer ALL of your questions a copy of the RVIA standards http://www.bustropolis.com/files/downlo ... mation.pdf
The function of a regulator is to reduce pressure and You might be able to use it with out removing the existing internal regulator, it would interesting to see what Mr Heater has to say.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Engineer Guy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:42 pm

All Regulators should be outside, and have the Vent Screen down to avoid Rain. There's high and low pressure Appliances out there, and all fall into one category or the other. Turkey Fryers vs. RV Appliances, for example...
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby Xtremespeed » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Since the quick connect fitting on the heater bypasses the internal regulator, I no longer have to worry about that part. I just need to get the correct regulator for my water heater and I should be good to go. I also need to find a good source for the flexible lines.
Xtremespeed
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Xtremespeed » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:20 pm

What's everyone's opinion on using the stainless braided, flexible propane hose under the trailer? It seems like it would be a lot easier to work with and more resistant to the vibration than the hard pipe. It woud also give me a lot less connections since one hose could be routed from the regulator all the way to the tee under the floor where my heaters are located. The only problem I see is finding a store nearby that carries it. May have to order it.
Xtremespeed
Teardrop Advisor

Postby parnold » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:25 pm

I would be afraid to use it below the trailer. I'm using it in the trailer, but below, I'd still be worried about road debris.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby BC Dave » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:33 am

Xtremespeed wrote:What's everyone's opinion on using the stainless braided, flexible propane hose under the trailer? It seems like it would be a lot easier to work with and more resistant to the vibration than the hard pipe. It woud also give me a lot less connections since one hose could be routed from the regulator all the way to the tee under the floor where my heaters are located. The only problem I see is finding a store nearby that carries it. May have to order it.

I have a 10 ft propane hose connected to a 20 lb tank with a low pressure valve and quick connect gas gauage to an internal heater that is a seals combustion fireplace unit vented to the outside; I wouldnt risk using a buddy heater inside; gas and water vapor are released in an enclosed space and oxygen is used up; despite the saftey features; or any other heating unit unless its venyted to the outside as per your water heater also.

The 10 ft hose, just like the one in your first pic; is used as a detachable hose so propane and hose are disconnected during travel; the shortest length is feed through a small hole in the floor to the heater connection; (maybe 6 inchs?). I didnt know this but others here pointed out that propane is a very small gas molecule so leaks through any hose ... so we must be carefull on any internal hose; propane is a very volitile, explosive gas and is heavier than air and collects in low spots (thus not recommended for boats). I have noticed the external casing on the hose has cracked where it is wound around the front trailer A frame and has been exposed for 2 yrs to the heat / cold and weather; but does not leak gas. So steel braded would be better but may crack under the brading also.

ow...wait a minute; brainwave... you could protect the hose with 1/2-3/4" electrical PVC; gas hose threaded through and your all protected ... but dont know about the leaking gas issue; humm ... conect the PVC under the trailer with some screwed galvanized U clamps! ... humm.

What water heater are you using?

oh ... I leant some stuff from others in the plumming and propane section on this site ...

ok good luck just be carefull with that propane .... and combusting gases ... as you already seem to know.

you have to post pics of the finished product.

cheeers bc Dave

:beer:
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions