Professors 7x14 Toy Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Professors 7x14 Toy Hauler

Postby Wookie97 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:37 pm

That's a really nice set up. I've been searching everywhere also looking afew bed ideas. I might try a version that lowers from the roof, not sure though. I want to keep as much room as possible when bed is out of the way. Still have a few weeks before my trailer gets here though.
Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:19 pm

Will the air mattress fit in the up position when it's fully inflated?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Rocky5000100 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:25 am

The bed looks great! I also was going to use that extra space under it for storage when I build mine.
Rocky5000100
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:16 am

Very nice.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby professorkx » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:12 pm

rebapuck wrote:Will the air mattress fit in the up position when it's fully inflated?

Nope. the trailer is as tall at the wall as it is wide, and since the bed goes across the back of the trailer, it must be folded in order to get the bed up off the floor. As a result, you must deflate the mattress, fold the last 20 inches over, strap everything down with web straps to be able to fold into the wall. We are on our way to town to buy webbing and buckles, so I will take a few more pictures of the bed read for sleeping, and the process to fold into the wall.

If we leave the bike at home, we will travel with the bed down so we can just crawl in and go to sleep when we get tired of driving. We will also keep the bed folded down once we arrive at a camp spot if its nice outside and we intend to ride a fair amount, as this will save the time folding and unfolding the bed, but still allow us a lot of interior room for dressing and cooking.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby funengineer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Nice build professor. So how do the legs for your bed connect? I don't see them when the bed is folded up?
funengineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby professorkx » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:21 am

funengineer wrote:Nice build professor. So how do the legs for your bed connect? I don't see them when the bed is folded up?

Sorry for the late response, but been working on another project, so had to jump off this one for a few weeks.

The legs actually screwed into plates that are attached to the bed platform. Here is the link to the plates I used:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-He ... /100390125

I originally thought that I would mount the plates on the outside, but let's face it, the plates are not very pleasing to the eye, so had to come up with a new plan. I eventually drilled a 3/8 inch hole through the platform and mounted the plate on the mattress side of the bed platform. This meant I needed longer bolts (the ones with a lag bolt on one end and machine thread on the other end I bought from Home Depot) in order to go through the 3/4 inch plywood and screw into the plate. I recessed two of the plates into the plywood using a router, but decided this was not necessary since I covered both sides of the bed platform with carpet, the mattress side only there to protect the air mattress from getting punctured. Although there is a little hump where the plates sits, you will never feel the hump through the air mattress, mattress cover and 1 inch memory foam. I used 4 legs, but since the mattress distributes the weight well, I think I could get by with the two legs at the end of the bed.

Once I had my legs cut to length, I used a 2 5/8 inch hole saw and cut large round washers out of scrap aluminum. I drill two small holes on the outside edge of the round washers, 180 degrees apart, and drilled the center hole to 3/8 inch. The washers have been installed on the outside of the folding bed platform, using two number 4 screws to hold in place. The washers will keep the leg from fraying the carpet as I install and remove the legs for camping. Since they are aluminum, the match the color scheme of the trailer, so blend right in.

One final note. I was originally concerned that I would weaken the support area for each leg by mounting the plate on the mattress side, but the 1 1/2 inch diameter leg, coupled with the large aluminum washer is sufficient to keep everything in place since the 3/4 inch plywood platform is sandwiched between the leg and the screw plate.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby professorkx » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:54 pm

First camping trip is in the books, so thought I would share what was learned and a few pictures from the trip. Since winter is not quite over in the northwest, we expected to hit some snow, so left the dual sport motorcycle at home. This meant we could fold the bed down and make it for the duration of the trip, but more on that later.

The first stop was for gas. My tow vehicle is a 2014 Jeep Rubicon X with 4.21 axle ratio, so it tows the trailer just fine at 70 mph in 6th gear with its 285 HP motor.

The folding bed provides a lot of storage underneath the bed, which was nice since the trailer is only 14 feet long.

This was actually the area of our first revelation. My initial thought was that we would have to fold the bed each day to provide sufficient room to adequately access the kitchen and eat breakfast inside the trailer. This didn't turn out to be the case, mostly because the bed is across the back of the trailer instead of along the wall, so we gain room since the bed is longer than it is wide by almost a foot and a half. Here is a picture of my wife of 35 years working in the kitchen with the bed in the down position. She was actually my 8th grade girlfriend, and I'm lucky she still likes me. 8)

The Bed is 5 feet, the kitchen counter is just over 5 feet, which leaves 4 feet between the bed and the kitchen area. This was the area of our second revelation, organization. While we have a lot of organization in the cabinets, I had not allowed for coats, and we didn't want to keep dragging them out of the Jeep or from the tub inside the cabinets. This was easily remedied with a stop by Walmart, where I purchased 4 satin coat hooks. The area under the window on the left side was underutilized, so by attaching the four coat hooks to the wall just under the window, we had a place for Sandy's purse, coats and keys. I purchased two additional hooks and installed high on the wall by the toilet for towels.

The water jug under the sink worked great, but I will eventually locate an inexpensive water tank that is 5" deep, about 60 inches long, and no more than 24 inches wide, as this is the dimension that will allow mounting under the rear of the trailer.

I also installed a flat screen TV on the wall at the end of the bed next to the plug I had installed high on the wall for the TV. I used a locking RV mount I purchased from Camping World like this:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... mall/51564

I was nervous about leaving the TV installed while travelling, so removed prior to moving each day. The tilt part of the mount uses two thumb screws to attach the TV to the mount, so removal took less than 2 minutes, including putting the TV inside the original box for storage. I had neglected to wire the TV plug to the inverter, so had to use an extension cord for the TV that plugged into the coffee plug that is wired to the inverter. I remedied that problem last night, so now the TV can run off shore or inverted power.

With temps in the teens at night, and a storm coming into the area, we were greeted with snow on the last morning.

We have a small electric heater that will run off the 2000 watt generator, and since we were boondocking with no neighbors, I ran the generator until the wee hours of the morning when it ran out of fuel. Since I have not yet insulated the floor, it was going to get pretty cold inside the trailer after the generator ran out of gas, so used a Mr. Heater inside propane heater for the remainder of the night. I wasn't sure about using a vent-free propane heater (I've read several posts here that are not in favor of vent-free propane heaters), but my research supports the safety of this unit, and a friend of mine used one for 3 years while he traveled the US in his converted cargo trailer after he retired. I have installed a smoke detector, CO detector and LP gas detector in the trailer, but still cracked the window and the vent a little during the night. After using the heater all weekend, I am comfortable with the choice.

Finally, this trip was to visit several Ghost towns in Montana, and although we both came down with horrible colds that required an early return, we still had a great time, so thought I would share a few pictures.

I worked on the trailer a little more so it is organized for day trips when we just need to haul the motorcycle to a dual sport location, or for a one night trip for some exploring on the bike in the mountains or desert. My goal is that the trailer is useful for more than just camping trips, so required a little thought to get things like the spare tire, chairs and table affixed to the wall with a strap so they are ready to go without any additional work. Some of our best (and most extreme) adventures have been spur of the moment, so I need the trailer to accommodate that part of our life.

I leave you with two pictures, a before and after in one grouping. The first one was taken the day we took delivery of the trailer from the lot, and the second is the trailer fully completed. Like others have said, you are not really ever done, but given that everything worked as expected during our first outing, I think the changes from this point forward will be refinements, so are unlikely to be noticed by the casual observer. Thanks to everyone for all the guidance while I plowed through this project.

Last edited by professorkx on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby Deediggler » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:22 pm

That's a great looking set up you got there Prof, and I include your lady friend in that statement.

So what is the one thing that you would have done differently if you had to do it all over again?
Deediggler
Teardrop Advisor

Postby funengineer » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:30 pm

Thanks for the info on the bed legs Professor. This was a great solution opposed to using folding legs. Great pictures of the trailer during your trip. Sounds like a trip I need to add to my list.
funengineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MtnDon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:59 pm

We have what appears to be the same TV mount under a different name. We leave our TV (28") mounted all the time. We use a snap buckle strap to restrain it while under way. A small square of headliner material is glued to the corner of the TV that contacts the wall when strapped in place. That has worked fine during our travels. The arm is firmly attached to a 1x6 using tee-nuts from behind, and that is solidly affixed to the wall framing.

Looks like this when folded and strapped.

Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby professorkx » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Deediggler wrote:That's a great looking set up you got there Prof, and I include your lady friend in that statement.

So what is the one thing that you would have done differently if you had to do it all over again?

Deediggler, I almost included that with the last post, so excellent question.

The one thing I would change would be to move the refrigerator to the location of the sink and the sink to the location of the refrigerator. The only reason is weight. Once you fill the fridge, I suspect total weight is close to 100 pounds, so getting that weight off the tongue and closer to the axle would have helped tongue weight. I had originally contemplated this design on one of my layouts, but was concerned the tall cabinet by the window would make the trailer look smaller. I still believe that, but tongue weight is an important factor.

To accommodate the fridge weight, I have a quick disconnect on the Optima battery in the tongue box so I can move it by the rear door while traveling. This meant I had to install a normal, small, cargo trailer battery in the tongue box to activate the brakes in an emergency. The Optima battery weighs 60 pounds, so that weight transfer to the rear reduces tongue weight by almost 100 pounds. So, with the fridge up front, I have found a way to adjust that's not too obnoxious.

As for my "lady friend", yup, she still turns heads. She's tiny with a nice figure and we are both in great shape, and at almost 6'5" and 220 pounds, I look like a giant next to her. Each evening, I lead a core workout, and during the workout, she always tries to hold her planks longer than I can do pushups (I add pushups to increase stress on my muscles to level the playing field), but for now, I'm still winning since I don't start to struggle until I hit 60 pushups. During the day, we both hit the gym and she includes pilates at least three times a week. I've watched many friends age and fall out of shape, and observed that it's easier to stay in shape than it is to get into shape as you get older (I'm almost 60), so we just push each other by working out together to stay in shape. I have all 4 of my daughters using a FitBit and competing with each other and Sandy for highest daily steps (Sandy almost always wins), in hopes that this enhances their health. I want them all to be around at least as long as me...
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby professorkx » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:15 pm

MtnDon wrote:We have what appears to be the same TV mount under a different name. We leave our TV (28") mounted all the time. We use a snap buckle strap to restrain it while under way. A small square of headliner material is glued to the corner of the TV that contacts the wall when strapped in place. That has worked fine during our travels. The arm is firmly attached to a 1x6 using tee-nuts from behind, and that is solidly affixed to the wall framing.

Looks like this when folded and strapped.

I think adding straps like you did is the hot ticket. My TV on weighs 12 pounds, but I was concerned about it bouncing around during travel. However, if your experience has shown it can stay in place, that saves the room to store the TV in the box during travel. I will add a strap and put a video camera inside the trailer to see how much it bounces on the first trip. Thanks for the advice...
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:34 pm

Nice trailer. Nice work. You should be proud.

Oh and thanks for pointing out the issue with the weight of the stuff inside the refrigerator. I never gave that problem any thought.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Gunman9 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:37 pm

nice work professor. I plan on making the same murphy style bed you did. Any suggestions? My trailer is only 6 feet wide so I know im gonna have to cut down the memory foam mattress to fit. Im debating making my horizontal though. Im gonna put in a full size mattress.

How is the chemical toilet? Looks like a thetford? any odor problems or problems emptying?
Gunman9
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions