My Project a Cargo Trailer for back country camping

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby meach4x4 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:05 pm

ARIZONA GUIDE wrote:Why coudnt you use the same kind of tire mount as used on a jeep. That hooks to the frame of the door and not to the actual door. then it has its own hinges. You would have to mount the one side to the door, but it would only be the locking side not the weight bearing side. then just like on a jeep you unlatch the locking side swing it out of the way and oben the back doors.

I had thought about this method, and it is still a possibility. It's funny, but I have to change my thinking on what is a "big heavy spare" since the one hanging on the back of the Jeep is a 35". I hadn't been thinking of the spare for the trailer being that big at only 31" until Prem pointed it out. I am rethinking my ideas now.

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Gilberto,

What? You don't want a 9-foot wide trailer with duallies for narrow Jeep trails?

:R I was mostly razzing ya. (You could enter it in Monster Truck rallies.) 8)

Yeah. You had the right idea...the best idea in the first place: Put it low on the side rear. :thumbsup:

Prem
To be repatriated on Monday night :(
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:53 pm

Prem wrote:Gilberto,

What? You don't want a 9-foot wide trailer with duallies for narrow Jeep trails?

:R I was mostly razzing ya. (You could enter it in Monster Truck rallies.) 8)

Yeah. You had the right idea...the best idea in the first place: Put it low on the side rear. :thumbsup:

Prem
To be repatriated on Monday night :(

Ahhh, I'll try to feel sorry for you. I hear it is snowing up in Oregon this week. Probably not in Medford, though. Have a smooth flight.

Vaja con dios!
Gilberto
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:50 am

Gil,

What's new?

Trailer finished?

Prem :thinking:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:34 am

Prem wrote:Gil,

What's new?

Trailer finished?

Prem :thinking:

It is pretineer dun.

My wife gave me a nice workbench for Christmas, so I've been busy installing it and trying to clear out the garage (via ebay) so I can get the Jeep back in. I actually had to scrape ICE off the windshield one cold morning. That sucks!

I decided the siderails for the bed didn't have enough contact surface along the bottom edge of the bed platform. It's a tolerance stackup thing. I left 1/4" side clearance on the piece of plywood for the bed, figuring for 1/2" inch of contact with the 3/4" side rail. As it turns out, the 3/4" x 2 1/2" Clear Doug Fir I used for the side rails is actually 11/32" thick, and it has a 1/8" radius rounded edge. After assembling the bed in the trailer, I found that the bed tends to ride up against one side, leaving the other side riding on only 1/8" of the rail. I considered adding some Delrin shims along the sides to keep it centered, but then decided to take the easy route. I am going to sister a second piece of rail to existing ones.

Other work to do: I still have the Maxxaire vent cover to install, and the port hole window for the door. That's all that is on the list for phase 1.

Phase 2 will be things like lock 'n roll hitch extension, fuel and water cans, propane bottle mount, cooler mount, awning... and the list is already growing. Before phase 2 starts I have to do more camping.

Hopefully, I'll be taking care of these last few items in the next week, then it is time for a camping trip to check out what is next. I am thinking it is about the right time of year for a Death Valley run. 8)

So... hows the roundtail project going? :thinking:
Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:04 pm

Gil,

Not doing any work on ROUND TAIL until the sun comes out in March.

Death Valley run! Yeah.

Bed platform issue: Aluminum angle!

Hey, :P here's the party of the year for trailer folks. It's the International Redwood Gathering (IRG), third time (only happens every other year). You coming to it? Join us, but hurry. This thing will fill up fast:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=34203&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:36 pm

Prem wrote:Gil,

Not doing any work on ROUND TAIL until the sun comes out in March.

Wuss!

Prem wrote:Bed platform issue: Aluminum angle!

Evil minds still think alike. I thought seriously about aluminum angle, but then decided it would punish my delicate shins too much. :cry:

Prem wrote:
Hey, :P here's the party of the year for trailer folks. It's the International Redwood Gathering (IRG), third time (only happens every other year). You coming to it? Join us, but hurry. This thing will fill up fast:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=34203&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I went to the link here, then tried to go to the two links they gave. Found that it has not published on my DNS server. After reading through all the posts on the link you gave me, someone had posted an actual IP address, so that got me to the server for the forum, but then the next failure was the registration page wouldn't resolve. After filling out the registration and checking the "I accept" button, the "Register" button was still greyed out and inactive. I quit after about 30 minutes of losing it. Maybe later after it is fixed. I am interested. I planned on a trip up northwest this summer, and this could be a good way to either end it or start it, depending on other dates I put together. Let me know if they get the site running for those of us who do not have the domain in our local servers yet.
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:01 pm

I thought seriously about aluminum angle, but then decided it would punish my delicate shins too much.

:chicken:

Will PM you the other URL for registration.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Spare tire

Postby Olyspud » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Excellent postings. I just came across your build today. Thinking about a conversion on an Interstate 5X12. Just a thought on your spare tire problem. How about an adapter so you could use your Jeep spare on the trailer?
Olyspud
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Spare tire

Postby meach4x4 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:42 am

Olyspud wrote:Excellent postings. I just came across your build today. Thinking about a conversion on an Interstate 5X12. Just a thought on your spare tire problem. How about an adapter so you could use your Jeep spare on the trailer?

Originally I thought about using an adapter and the Jeep spare. The problem is I run 35's on the Jeep, and the largest the trailer can handle with the 4 inches of lift is a 31 inch tire. Now I'm thinking of putting the spare on the side, behind the fender.

I'll be posting some more pictures of the trailer now that I've camped in it. I spent the last 5 days travelling through Death Valley. I'm very satisfied with the trailer on the trip.

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:50 am

Gil wrote:

I spent the last 5 days travelling through Death Valley. I'm very satisfied with the trailer on the trip.

:applause: :woohoo:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 pm

I just returned from my first camping trip in my converted cargo trailer. It went well, and I'm very pleased with my decision to go with this type of base trailer for my project.

It was just over 200 miles from my home to the Furnace Creek Campground in Death Valley. I had never been to Death Valley before. Besides checking out the trailer I also wanted to explore the park for future trips there.

I arrived at the Hell's Gate entrance to the park after dark, so I decided rather than continue to the campground I'd just pull over at the information kiosk to sleep. The bed in the trailer was very comfortable with its combination of 3 inches of high density foam covered by 3 more inches of memory foam. It was a little cool out, but I didn't start up the heater. With just my little dog sleeping in his bed and me in my sleeping bag the trailer was quite a bit warmer than the cool air outside.

I enjoyed a nice hot breakfast cooked on my little backpack stove in the morning. I stepped outside to take a picture of the Jeep, trailer, and the nice scenery around my stopping place.

Other than the folding step stool, I didn't pull anything out of the trailer at this stop, since I didn't want to give the rangers the impression I was planning on camping out at the kiosk. I took a pic of the interior of the trailer with it fully loaded.

The 3kw generator set is the heaviest single piece of gear I am hauling, so I tried moving it anywhere from the front of the cabin to as far back as the front edge of the bed to see how much the change in tongue weight affected the handling of the trailer behind the Jeep. Underway, it was very little difference, but felt slightly better balanced with the generator back against the front of the bed.

Just a few miles down the road I came to the entrance of the 20 Mule Team Canyon loop road. It was a graded dirt road that appeared to be in excellent shape, so I decided to go ahead and pull my trailer through the loop. The road had several switchbacks and a fairly steep up hill followed by a corresponding downhill. The Jeep and trailer handled beautifully, so I was happy.

I moved on to Furnace Creek. After stopping at the general store, a guy pulled in and asked about my Jeep and trailer. He was driving a Farabee's rental jeep, and had one of their hats on. We visited for a while, and I learned he was Richard Farabee, the owner of Farabees Jeeps. They have rental locations in Moab, Sedona, and now in Death Valley. Richard had several tips on places to explore in the valley. A couple of them were places I planned on visiting.

I found a short back-in campsite by a mesquite mound in the middle of all the pull though sites in Furnace Creek Campground. Most of the big RV's in the pull throughs were pulling Jeeps behind them, so they were intrigued by the only Jeep pulling an RV in their midst.

When I started pulling out all my kit and kaboodle, they were even more intrigued. One of my neighbors asked if I slept in a tent, and I said, "No, I sleep inside on the bed." Soon, I had 4 campers on a "guided tour" of my little trailer.

With the exception of the dog bed, a rug, generator set, and cooler, all the gear fit under the bed. I was very happy that it all fit where I planned, and that I had more than enough gear for a 5 day trip. After the base camp is set up, all the gear that needs to be secured fits under the bed even while it is in the sofa position. Very tidy!

For those of you that may be like me, and want the details of how the trailer is packed, here is my packing list:

Trailer Tote (Large Rubbermaid Roughneck)
= 25 foot 30 amp cable
= 30 amp-15 amp converter pigtail
= 4 wheel chocks
= blocking for stabilizer jacks and hitch jack
= 2 gallons of gas for generator w/fill spout
= 4 pak of propane 1 pound tanks for stove, bbq, and Buddy heater
= Locking cable and padlock for generator

Fire Tote (Large Rubbermaid Roughneck)
= 2 bundles of firewood
= 1 bundle of split kindling
= axe
= swedish saw

Cooking Utensils (small Rubbermaid Roughneck)
= griddle for camp stove
= chopping board
= backpacking stove with 2 cans of fuel
= stainless mess kit
= stainless soup plates
= bbq tools (meat fork, spatula, and tongs)
= coffee pot
= coffee mug
= dish towel
= bio soap
= marshmallow/hot dog sticks
= flame thrower (lighter)
= plastic forks, knifes, spoons
= chopping knife
= can opener
= emergency matches

Food Tote (small Rubbermaid Roughneck)
= 1 loaf of bread
= 5 instant lunches
= 2 cans of mushrooms
= 2 cans of diced tomatoes w/green chiles
= 2 cans of corn
= 2 cans of green beans
= 1 can of pinto beans
= 1 bag of marshmallows
= 1 bag of tortilla chips
= 1 pack of tortillas
= 5 milk chocolate packets
= 5 coffee packets
= 12 individual packed dog meals
= 4 individual packed breakfast hot cereal
= salt and pepper

Cooler (Igloo 54 quart Marine Cooler)
= block ice
= 2 litre bottles of milk
= 2 2 litre bottles of juice
= 2 frozen chicken breasts
= 2 frozen pork tenderloin chops
= 1 bottle dijonaise
= 1 bottle mustard
= 1 bottle picante sauce
= 1 package frozen broccoli

Clothing duffel
= 3 changes of clothes
= hiking boots
= shaving kit
= first aid kit
misc. unmentionables (you really didn't expect a full disclosure, eh?)

BBQ duffel
= Weber BBQ
= BBQ cleaning brush
= bottle of propane

Luggable Loo
= 12 pack of WAG bags

Brief Case
= laptop w/power cord
= chargers for camera batteries

Coleman 2 burner propane stove
Pelonis ceramic 120 vac cube heater
Heater Buddy
Kipor 3000 inverter generator
2 camp chairs
small camp table
small bbq/stove table
sleeping bag
dog bed
2 dog bowls
3 extra blankets for dog bed
3 rubber backed bathroom rugs
2 Reliant 4 gallon water jugs w/spigot

I really enjoyed Death Valley, and the new trailer made it a very comfortable trip. The days were in the 60's and the nights dropped down in the high 40's. I fired up the Heater buddy once for about 20 minutes before going to bed, and the trailer was cozy all night.

The trailer still pulls easily at 65 mph, and on the steepest climbs I was able to stay above 50 mph. I didn't get the opportunity to weigh the trailer loaded, but I think I'm pretty close to 1,100 pounds empty and I figure the load to be around 400 pounds. So I think 1,500 is a close guess.

Fuel mileage pulling the loaded trailer is 13.5 mpg, compared to 14.9 empty. (The Jeep is lifted 3.5 inches plus 35" tires, plus a cargo rack on top. It also is running 5.13 gears in the differentials.)

Places I visited were Stove Pipe Wells, Scottie's Castle, Furnace Creek Ranch, Ryolite ghost town, Leadfield ghost town, Titus Canyon, 20 Mule Team Canyon, Zabrisky Point, RaceTrack and South Pass. That is just a good start exploring all there is to see in the "largest national park in the lower 49 states." I'll be back!

Gil 8)
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 pm

I like your style!

Sounds like a successful shake-down, and all the pre-trip homework paid off too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We carry very similar "loads" except for I often have the wife along, and two dogs, but the info. is very helpful. I also have a pick-up for a tow vehicle, with its storage in the bed for dog stuff, outside stuff, wood box, trailer tote, camp chairs, 5 gal. water jug, etc. It makes it easier to preserve trailer space.

One thought: Have you considered a spare wheel bearing kit and/or grease in your trailer tote? I ask because I carry one for my boat trailers on longer trips, but haven't yet decided for my cargo, with he wheels not being backed into the water regularly.

Blocking for stabilizer jacks I forgot to consider. Good idea! I have the rest of your list covered.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby meach4x4 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Gonefishin wrote:I like your style!

Sounds like a successful shake-down, and all the pre-trip homework paid off too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We carry very similar "loads" except for I often have the wife along, and two dogs, but the info. is very helpful. I also have a pick-up for a tow vehicle, with its storage in the bed for dog stuff, outside stuff, wood box, trailer tote, camp chairs, 5 gal. water jug, etc. It makes it easier to preserve trailer space.

Yeah, I could carry more in the Jeep, but I am using it for exploration out of base camp, so I keep it pretty light, with a small set of tools, a co2 cylinder for airing up, water jug, camera, coats, and recovery gear. If I was going cross country on highways, I'd probably move some load from the trailer, although the tools and stuff in the Jeep are pretty heavy for it's flexy suspension.

Gonefishin wrote:One thought: Have you considered a spare wheel bearing kit and/or grease in your trailer tote? I ask because I carry one for my boat trailers on longer trips, but haven't yet decided for my cargo, with he wheels not being backed into the water regularly.

On a long trip, I carry a grease gun, tire plug kits, and replacement axle u-joints in the jeep tools. I also carry a hi-lift jack, co2, air down kit, emergency blankets, and all that stuff in the Jeep, since I can use it in both vehicles if necessary.

I forgot to include it in my trip report, but I need to install some small tie down clips in the trailer to secure everything so it won't bounce around on the washboard roads. They were ok on this trip, but I didn't really cover much dirt, and none of it was really rough.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby Gonefishin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:49 pm

meach4x4 wrote:I forgot to include it in my trip report, but I need to install some small tie down clips in the trailer to secure everything so it won't bounce around on the washboard roads. They were ok on this trip, but I didn't really cover much dirt, and none of it was really rough.
Gil

I'm using screw eyes and small bungees to secure the light stuff and stop things on the wall like the folding table and hanging organizers from swaying. For my larger items on the floor, like the bed frame, cooler, and chuck box, I'm going to use flush mounted D-rings secured with multiple screws, and larger bungees.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions