Question on 12 volt refer (updated with some answers)

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Thanks all.

Postby Jeffmo63 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Thanks all for the informative and sometimes entertaining posts. I should have made my intentions a little more clear. I visit the EAA up in Oshkosh every summer and camp out. As some of you may know there is no water and no electricity at the sites; just a really nice piece of grass and a small tree to mark each space. So while in years past I did the super cooler block ice thing, I was hoping to try something a little different (and as some of you noted, more complicated) this year. This year I will be without 115vac for upwards of 11 days so a refer/freezer with a low current draw is essential as will be 80+ watts of solar augmentation. I have picked the Norcold DE-490 stand alone to meet my requirements. Will keep you all posted on the install and operation.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Propane refrigerators have gotten a lot better in thirty years. They don't need to be any more level than what is comfortable for sleeping. Since you're doing a cargo conversion, you could make one work easily. Ours will run for a month on a 20#s of propane without using any power. Its a 3 way so it can run on AC and DC as well. Even though its only 1.9 CU Ft, its amazing how much food you can put it in when ice isn't taking up most of the room.

Dometic clicky

And it costs about the same as a good DC only fridge.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Thanks

Postby Engineer Guy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Many thanks for the Fridge update and the real world testimonial! If you have any observations on running your Fridge on PV Panels/Batteries, please let me/us know.

Nice rig that you built, there, and all the features are very original and very kewl.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:47 pm

The Dometic is an energy hog compared to an Engel; it uses 10 amps when running on DC. There's no duty cycle either, there's a resistive heater that's constantly on to drive the absorption cycle. I have enough PV capacity to run it but it I never do when dry camping as propane is so much more efficient by comparison. I only run it on DC when in transit.

The AC option works the same way as DC in that a heater is on constantly. However, its nice to run it on AC the day before a trip to pre-cool the fridge.

The fridge does need to be vented correctly in order to get a proper draft. Venting Clicky. I have mine set up in the "Almost Good" configuration but its worked great so far. I've also got an electric fan with speed control to supplement the natural draft but haven't needed to use it.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Karl » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:58 am

I got a message from someone asking why I deleted the text from my post on this thread. The reason is that I am sooooooooo tired of the condescending attitudes of some people on this website. Yes, the comments on this particular thread were nowhere nearly as bad as others I have seen but still, these comments were wholly unnecessary. Rather than simply allow people to state what they do and why they do it without negative commentary or ridicule (aren’t many of us on this forum to exchange information and hopefully learn new things???), some people feel the need to prove how smart they (think) they are by posting their alleged “expertâ€
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Postby parnold » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:25 pm

Karl:

:applause: :applause:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:38 pm

I would be perfectly happy with a gas/DC/AC refrigerator if it came in a horizontal unit that does not spill all of its cold out when you open the door and on top of that I want it portable :). I have played with the idea of constructing an eutetic refrigerator using one of the Dan Foss compressors and a marine Igloo cooler. A eutectic system still uses a compressor but incorporates a tank filled with liquid that continually freezes and then defrosts. As the liquid freezes in the tank, its cooling energy is stored. This stored cooling ability is then released as the tank defrosts drawing heat from objects in the cool box. When the tank has almost defrosted the compressor starts again to freeze the liquids and repeat the process. This process is called a Eutectic phase.

Refrigeration systems are more efficient when heat rapidly saturates the evaporator, and as the eutectic evaporator is in a liquid it can rapidly absorb heat and lower temperatures. By comparison aluminum plate evaporators cooling the air run at much less efficient temperatures where the refrigeration systems coefficient factor is very low. (Put a hot can of drink in ice water and another on the shelf of a fridge at the same temperature. You will be drinking the one from the ice water ten times sooner!) So not only is the system operating in much more efficient conditions, it does the job so much quicker and with the eutectic hold-over, runs much less often. An aluminum evaporator plate system will typically cycle say 10 minutes on 20 minutes off. (Two cycles per hour or 48 cycles per day while the Eutectic system runs once per day or twice in hot conditions.)
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Karl » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I would be perfectly happy with a gas/DC/AC refrigerator if it came in a horizontal unit that does not spill all of its cold out when you open the door and on top of that I want it portable :).

My EdgeStar FP860 and my Waeco FC-040 are both portable units that open at the top. I've only had them a short time but am pleased with both thus far. I use the smaller unit (the Waeco 40 quart) for keeping things frozen and the larger unit (the Edgestar 86-quart) for refrigeration. Both can keep temps between zero and 45 degrees or thereabouts. The Edgestar has a digital readout and can be controlled to whatever temperature is desired while the Waeco has a 1-8 setting on its knob. But, since I use the Waeco just for freezing, I just turn it on full blast anyway and don't really care if the temp is zero or +5 degrees. Neither unit has propane capabilities, which I admit would be really nice if I were camping very often without AC being available. My Edgestar can be plugged into both AC and DC at the same time then if the AC fails, the DC kicks in automatically. The Waeco is DC but at a campground, I plug it into a converter, which is plugged into shore power. Some other brands of similar coolers/refers/freezers for you to consider would be Engel, Arb, and Dometic (which owns Waeco) although I don't know if any of them have propane capabilities.
Your second paragraph was very informative, by the way. Thanks.
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Holdover systems!

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:43 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:A eutectic system still uses a compressor but incorporates a tank filled with liquid that continually freezes and then defrosts. As the liquid freezes in the tank, its cooling energy is stored. This stored cooling ability is then released as the tank defrosts drawing heat from objects in the cool box. When the tank has almost defrosted the compressor starts again to freeze the liquids and repeat the process. This process is called a Eutectic phase.

Refrigeration systems are more efficient when heat rapidly saturates the evaporator, and as the eutectic evaporator is in a liquid it can rapidly absorb heat and lower temperatures. By comparison aluminum plate evaporators cooling the air run at much less efficient temperatures where the refrigeration systems coefficient factor is very low. (Put a hot can of drink in ice water and another on the shelf of a fridge at the same temperature. You will be drinking the one from the ice water ten times sooner!) So not only is the system operating in much more efficient conditions, it does the job so much quicker and with the eutectic hold-over, runs much less often. An aluminum evaporator plate system will typically cycle say 10 minutes on 20 minutes off. (Two cycles per hour or 48 cycles per day while the Eutectic system runs once per day or twice in hot conditions.)

Having seen and used "holdover" systems on boats a lot of the above is not consistant with my understanding and experience with marine use of holdover systems. The reason holdover plates (containers filled with a eutectic solution which in marine refrigeration systems is a solution of salt water or antifreeze that freezes below 32 degrees f) is that you only have a limited time each day (when you run your engine) to make cold. Commonly an automotive type air conditioning compressor is used, with a HUGE capacity for a short time to make a block of frozen solution that melts over the course of the day to keep the icebox cool. Given that the latent heat of fusion is used (melting a solid into a liquid absorbs lots of heat) a short freezing cycle can keep the icebox cold all day. Typically 30 minutes or so of run time a day. The key to this is the huge capacity of the compressor and refrigeration system to remove a whole days worth of heat infiltration into the icebox in a short time and the ability to store "cold" in a frozen solution.

Any compressor system will have to remove the heat that infitrates an ice box over time. A small DC compressor will cycle on and off all day and get the job done a little bit at a time. A "holdover system" will cycle once a day, doing the job quickly, and storing the cold in a frozen solution to be utilized all day long. In the end, if the iceboxes are similar, they will be required to remove the same amount of heat during the course of a day. The soda can example above is kind of the same idea. It's going to take so much energy/cold to cool the soda can from warm to frosty cold. If you surround the can with air, the compressor will cool the air, which cools the soda and it will take a bit of time. The compressor will cycle on and off to keep the air cool as it absorbs the heat from the soda. If you surround it in ice water (which conducts heat about 25 times better/faster than air) you can turn off the compressor, and it will cool the soda down faster because the soda is sitting in ice water and the melting ice will consume the heat. When the soda is cooled, you will have less ice, but the remaining ice will still have capacity to keep the icebox cool as heat infiltrates. In the end, however, each system (small compressor long accumulated run time versus holdover system with a huge compressor and system and a single short run time) will require roughly the same amount of energy to cool the soda.

The primary reason to use holdover systems is to minimize the compressor run time and the entire system is designed to produce a lot of BTUs of cooling power quickly, make a block of "ice" (no matter what the ice is made of), and spread the use of this cooling power over the lenght of a day. Large compressors are used for a short period of time. Using a small compressor to make a block of ice inside the icebox will not, in the long run, improve the efficiency of a system running on battery power or shore power.

Not sure if what I'm saying is clear, but I can't see any advantage in using a small DC or AC compressor to make a block of ice, unless power for the compressor is going to be unavailable for long periods of time requiring the cooling power of the ice to keep things cool in between compressor runs. The system will have to remove the same number of BTU with or without the ice.

If I'm missing something, please let me know.

A number of people are reporting good results with the small DC compressor powered units with batteries/solar/converters/tow vehicle charging. Energy use is proportional to the temperature differerence between the inside (of the cooler) and outside enviornment. If your icebox is 40F inside, the temperature outside averages 70F you'll use X amout of amp/hours of juice. If the temperature outside is 100F, you'll use about 2X amp/hours or more (efficiency will drop at higher temps). You, can't, however, argue with success!

From what I've seen, a lot of full size RVs seem to use three way systems. Propane, AC, and DC.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:14 pm

One of the reasons I became interested in the eutetic system is the use by a couple of the Australian caravan makers and in the efficiency, power source for them is primarily solar.
I am aware of the marine applications, a number of which use water to cool the coils and even purpose built components are way expensive and I can buy a Whole Lot of ice. But then get a 12V Danfoss compressor for about 250$...
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:29 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:One of the reasons I became interested in the eutetic system is the use by a couple of the Australian caravan makers and in the efficiency, power source for them is primarily solar.
I am aware of the marine applications, a number of which use water to cool the coils and even purpose built components are way expensive and I can buy a Whole Lot of ice. But then get a 12V Danfoss compressor for about 250$...

Everything in life is a compromise depending on what your limiting factor is. I've heard that Danfoss compressors are "state of the art" and very efficient. The compressor is only a fraction of the cost of an entire system. Scrounging always reduces costs though. Unless you won't have power available for long periods of time and this is when you want to utilize the capability of "holdover plates", I don't think incorporating holdover plates is going to buy you much in terms of overall efficiency and you will lose volume in your icebox to the holdover plates. The compressor system will still have to remove the same amount of heat over a given period of time.

If you like, post or PM exactly what you have in mind and I'll run it past some "experts" in marine systems and heat transfer and get their thoughts to help you decide your "path forward'.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:23 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:I would be perfectly happy with a gas/DC/AC refrigerator if it came in a horizontal unit that does not spill all of its cold out when you open the door and on top of that I want it portable.

Done!

Your dream fridge

And it's on sale!

:lol:
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:38 am

...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Thermal 'Flywheel' Mass Used In Refrigeration

Postby Engineer Guy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:33 am

Folks living off grid with +12 or +24 VDC Fridges sometimes use thermal mass to 'coast' the Fridge through power outages, or to reduce Compressor cycling. Some use cases of Beer; some use Concrete Pavers in the bottom of the Fridge; others get even more creative.

My own vision is to put a 'bit' of mass in the bottom of our future CT Fridge or a horizontal 5 day Cooler. This will get us through cloudy days, when boondocking off of PV Panels. It will let us 'charge up' this mass on good Solar days, or from the TV while driving.

The 6" Concrete, Earth-coupled Floor w/insulated Footers in our almost-finished Solar House serves the same 'thermal flywheel' function. Along with passive solar gain ingress, the House never drops below 50 F degrees, even in a CO Winter. The payback in a thicker Slab paid for up front is via greatly-reduced Heating/Cooling costs over House lifetime. In a similar manner, a couple of PV Panels and sizeable Batteries purchased up front will reduce CT Fridge power consumption and Propane costs over Trailer lifetime. CT and Fridge super-insulation is also part of the equation.

More importantly, my very 'personalized' Fridge solution respects the excellent [and shared] viewpoint espoused by Karl above. My solutions herein need only work for me. Snarling critics, devoid of Forum etiquette or well-thought out ideas, can go pound sand. This Forum has generated plenty of super ideas, and examples of astounding craftsmanship.

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/US ... taid=81813
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Re: Thanks all.

Postby NathanL » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:05 am

Jeffmo63 wrote:Thanks all for the informative and sometimes entertaining posts. I should have made my intentions a little more clear. I visit the EAA up in Oshkosh every summer and camp out. As some of you may know there is no water and no electricity at the sites; just a really nice piece of grass and a small tree to mark each space. So while in years past I did the super cooler block ice thing, I was hoping to try something a little different (and as some of you noted, more complicated) this year. This year I will be without 115vac for upwards of 11 days so a refer/freezer with a low current draw is essential as will be 80+ watts of solar augmentation. I have picked the Norcold DE-490 stand alone to meet my requirements. Will keep you all posted on the install and operation.

I attended in 1992. Like a lot of people we camped under a wing with a tarp fastened over it.

The person I went with took a coleman type 12v "cooler" and had a solar panel that was flexible they put on top of the wing. I saw several others with a similar set up.

I say "cooler" because it won't freeze stuff and really won't work like a refrigerator but it kept it cool. More like a way to keep the ice from melting faster.

If you live near an area that has offshore boats you see a lot of horizontal refrigerators/freezers that I assume wither work off gas or 12v power that they put on the back of the deck to hold stuff. Mostly on boats too small to have a full size one and no 110v eletrical system. Just something to look into or google up.
NathanL
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions