Recirculating Toilet

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby shortycas » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Looking great! Gonna be nice and fancy! Love it
shortycas
Teardrop Builder

Thanks

Postby ho-do » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks for the comments. I posted my little rant when no one had responded after almost a week after posting the pics. So I am very glad some of you have noticed the post.

As stated I have more work to do, and I will post more pics when I get items done. Let me explain why we are doing this project:
1. We have had several normal RVs over the last 21 years and I was always paying dealerships BIG MONEY to work on them. In our area, it is now $110/hr at the dealerships. So I wanted something that I could easily work on myself and that I could find parts for at any Home Depot or Lowes. (one exception is the recirculating toilet, but we already owned it before the conversion).
2. I wanted to "simplify" the RVing exerience to what my wife and I call the bare basics.
3. I was scared every time I road my 650lb scooter up the ramp into the back of my F250 truck!!

So we saw someone up in Nashville that had done a cargo trailer conversion and I got started on plans.

total cost for our rig plus conversion will be $7000. If we had to buy the toilet, that would have been an additional $500. A lot better than the commercially available Toy Haulers we looked at.

Del
ho-do
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jst83 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:38 pm

Welcome to the forum Del
Does look good :thumbsup:
I don't get down into the cargo area often as I'm working on a teardrop. I'm glad you stayed around this really is a great bunch of people.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Matap » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Looks good. I'm re-motivated to get myself a cargo trailer and start converting it to. I however would like a shower in mine, plus all the stuff you have. My intentions are to make by bed fold up and out of theway just in case i needed to hual two bikes.
Matap
Teardrop Inspector

Shower

Postby ho-do » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:38 am

We have camped in 42 states now using an RV, and have found that we like using the showers at the campground better (usually more room, the humidity is not added into the rig..), but I know that it is nice to have one when one is not available at the spot you are camping. We plan on taking two solar shower bags with us. We will fill each one up and then let it sit out in the sun during the day. This will provide both of us with a shower.

I hope you will post pictures when you start your conversion. I wish I had known about this forum before I started mine.
ho-do
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Thanks for the shower tip ... that will be the first thing to be crossed off the list ... ;) Always got a bucket and soap , just in case ... :lol: Then there's always those rentable truck stop showers ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Crazylegs » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Nice job. How is it working for you.
:applause:
Crazylegs
Teardrop Advisor

How is it working...

Postby ho-do » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am

So far so good. We just added two vent covers on the roof so that we can leave the vents open when driving and when parked at home. Also, built a three shelf unit at the foot of the bed to hold the TV/Radio/CD player and misc odd-n-ends. Also built a small box under the microwave that holds two pull-out utencil containers [one for cooking utencils, one for eating utencils]. And my wife didn't require anything fancy... I was able to use a bungee cord across the front of the box to keep the containers in place instead of making a locking door for it.

Still have to: trim, paint, add one light to kitchen area, make an "arm" coming from the wall to hold my sccooter in place while in transport [we have tried every possible strap tie-downs with no luck].
ho-do
Teardrop Builder

Postby d30gaijin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Del,

Your CT is twice as long as mine and 2' wider but I bet we're just as thrilled with our conversion as I suspect you are with yours. Be that as it may, thank you for posting the pics of your conversion and what you're starting with. There are some good ideas I've gleamed from your conversion. I hope you'll post more pics as you progress.

We are new to RVing (bought our Jayco 165 a year plus two months ago and recently bought our 6x10 CT to convert). The reason being (for the 6x10 CT buy) is we only have a 4 Liter engine Jeep Cherokee to haul the Jayco and it doesn't do well hauling it up mountain roads, not to mention we'd like to take our Harley Davidson with us up into the mountains of Idaho and the Jeep hauls the CT, no sweat. Who knows, maybe the Jayco will go away and we'll just use the CT conversion... naw, the wife loves the little Jayco. :lips: We'll get a bigger rig to haul the Jayco sometime in the future, just not now.

Enough of my rambling on. Please keep the photos of your conversion coming.

Don
Last edited by d30gaijin on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Soon?

Postby ho-do » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:59 am

We have been working a lot on the rig and are in the process of painting the interior as I type... I am at work but my wife is at home doing the painting. I hate painting!! Anyways, We will take pictures soon and post them. Del
ho-do
Teardrop Builder

painting done!!

Postby ho-do » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Well I just posted a few pictures in the album for an update. In them you can see the shelving for the TV, and whatever, at the foot of the bed, the box we made to hold cooking and eating utensils under the microwave, and some rails we made for the shelving in the kitchen. The shelves were already there, but had no way to keep items in them when traveling.

And my wife did all the painting!! I didn't even lift a brush!!!
ho-do
Teardrop Builder

Postby kenman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:48 pm

I am getting ready to start a 7 X 14 and you have gave me several good ideas.
I am like you I want to keep it relatively simple yet comfortable.
I will be hauling a VTX 1300, possibly a couple of small bikes also.
I may even figure a way to hang a couple of kayaks inside on occasion. I like how you put the bed to the side. I had thought about putting mine in the rear but doing it dinette style so the bike would go thru the middle.....
hmmmmm...What do I do? I really like yours.
Great job!
kenman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ho-do » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:24 am

We only have one large 650cc scooter to carry, so we were able to have the bed permanently set in the rear on one side as pictured. If we had two "bikes", we would most likely have made the bed so that it would come down from the wall.

Your idea of doing the bed where the middle can be taken out so that the bikes can ride down the middle of the trailer is a good idea! Of cource you would have to have three sections of mattress material, but it would work.
ho-do
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions