I took the leap...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Thanks to gwan2cruz, Jo, 4x4, prem, Boodro, GPW and Pete42 for the replies. I really feel like part of something special here in this forum.

gwan2cruz, I spent about a year and a half lurking and following other builds and the common thread of advice that I saw consistantly was to fully evaluate what your camping needs are and go from there. In my case I needed room for my Sportster. That's 8 ft of lenth. A 10 footer could have worked but there would be very little room with it loaded. The extra 2 ft, plus the v-nose would give me just what I need.
Also important is your tow vehicle. make sure it will tow safely whatever your final choice would be.

The trailer that I bought was manufactured by South Georgia Cargo in Pearson, Ga. The 4 and a half hour drive each way was well worth it for me.

I'm going to document my build here but please be patient. I'll post at every upgrade but I have time and budget constraints that keep holding me back.
This is going to be so much fun! :D

The next upgrade is....
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:57 pm

I had planned on painting the roof of the trailer with a mobile home roof sealer but the temps were going to be too low to do that.
I decided to work on a sleep system that I had been considering for over a year.
Hammocks. The ENO hammocks are lightweight and I believe perfect for this application.
http://hammockcompany.com/eno-hammocks.php?gclid=CITE7P2orKYCFaE65QodUC3hmg

Here is the initial install.
I used 2x4 deck hangers turned sideways. I tried them upright but the pull on the 2x4 was too much.
This is all the space it takes up after being taken down and only weighs a few pounds.
I may even have room to sleep in the hammocks with the Sportster loaded up.
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby HIPPYHUNTER » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:54 am

Intersting hammocks; I have not seen those before.
HIPPYHUNTER
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:11 am

DP, yes that is a cool idea !!! Light, stow-able ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:20 am

No one else is uneasy with the combined weight of two people and the stress it will place on the walls, let alone the 2x4?

:thinking: :o

Talk me down - I need it.

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:08 pm

I was very uneasy with the 2x4 sitting up. When I layed it flat and turned the brackets sideways it turns out very strong. The first two pieces I used were relatively cheap lumber and now that I know this configuration works I'll spend a few more dollars and get a better quality with no knots. I weigh 190 and my wife weighs...... much less :) and it held very well.
I'm still considering steel pipe and some type of heavy duty u bracket for it to sit in.
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby Prem » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:23 am

:thinking:

Yeah, this arrangement is not strong enough and the stresses on the walls are too much.

Seems to me it won't hold for long before the 2x4s break and the sleeping is abruptly ended with a crash to the floor. Not pretty. Could end in wife never going camping again...and/or broken tail bones and concussions.

So why not use hardwood 3x3s (white oak, hickory, maple) and notch them into wider, vertical boards (also hardwood) that carry the compression force down to the floor? You could just lift the 3x3s out of the notches when taking down the hammocks.

With lumber, a table saw and epoxy, you can make any dimension boards that you want.

You could mount the whole arrangement a bit lower for more safety.

Best wishes.

For what it's worth,

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:22 pm

Angie and I took the Cargo Trailer out this weekend for a dry run, or so we thought.
We scrapped the hammock idea for inside the trailer. Not because of strength concerns but because the support boards really got in the way. I even tried putting them near the ceiling but then the hammocks were uncomfortable.
I now have two cots. They take up little space when stored and are ok to sleep on.
Here is something we did learn. We have been using the big plastic bins with the lids for tent camping. We didn't like them for the trailer. Whatever it is that we want or need is on the bottom of the bottom of two stacked bins that also have a hot pot of coffee brewing on them. :o

I had thought that the bins would be perfect. Stack two high and you have a nice table. That is until you need something inside one. Great on paper, not for us camping in the trailer. So either shelves or cabinets are now in the plans.

I'm a slow learner so I think that I'll need to keep taking the trailer out as often as possible. maybe get one idea each time out. :thinking:

As you may have noticed, I haven't done much to the interior yet. I have insulated the ceiling and I'm glad I did that.

On our one night campout the tornando sirens went off two times during the first day and then at least twice during the night. That morning we were hit with a strong thunderstorm and hail the size of peas that was coming down very hard but the insulation kept the noise down.

We had a great time (despite the weather) and I'm looking forward to doing a few things then taking the CT out to tweak it again.
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:44 am

Looks like Fun Dave !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 am

Super deal! Looks like mine! Now the real fun begins. :thumbsup:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Hey GPW! The fun started when I asked my better half if I could buy one and she said "Yes".
I ran and got one before she could change her mind. ;)

Hi Gonefishin
It's an honor to have your comments on this thread. I was following your CT thread and encouraged by what you were doing well before I finally took that leap. I still go back to it every now and then and read it from start to finish as well as several other threads.

And yes to all, "This is gonna be fun!".
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:01 pm

I would have had many more pics but we were so disorganized, we had a mess.
But that's one of the reasons I wanted to get out a few times before we take our first week long trip. (Coming up in May)
I wanted to see it in action, how we moved around and where stuff was located. I got a lot of ideas and problems still yet to be solved in just one night. I consider that a success.
Early on is where I can afford to make any major challenges before it becomes permanent.

Well, it sounds good in theory. :thinking:
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby DavidInPalmetto » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Duh, that's "changes", not challenges. :oops:
DavidInPalmetto
Teardrop Builder

Postby pete42 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:39 am

At least you have one and are using it while I sit and twiddle my thumbs.

In reality things have not been going well here health wise myself and it

seems everyone around me including GF's doggy.

so it's a work in progress you and your wife seem to be enjoying yourselves.

any pictures are welcome we all love to see what others have done or are doing.

Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:56 am

Dave , yeah , you really have to seize those "agreeable " moments that the wife might occasionally have ... ;) :lol:
One night of camping in it is worth more than a months camping discussion ... Soon as you do that , you know what you Really need , and what you dragged along for nothing ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions