Poppy's Toybox / Toyhauler Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Poppy's Toybox / Toyhauler Build

Postby Dirtclod » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Oh yeah and somewhere along the way I installed a Dometic 13.5 Roof Mount AC unit. Anybody here have a newer Dometic roof mount with the ne R410 refrigerant ? This thing just doesn't seem to get real cold. It blows cold as long as the compressor is kicked on and running but it seems to kick off before getting very cold in the trailer. The after 20 minutes or so it kicks back in. Short cycling. This thing is all but brand new. I took if off my Dads 5th wheel when he got it home and realized it wouldn't fit in the barn. Its only been used 3 times this year and it just doesn't seem to ever cool the camper off to me. I have had to run a fan all night to stay cool.

Anybody else have troubles cooling their trailer with a roof top AC??
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Dirtclod, Howdy;

Have you checked the Thermostat... maybe it's placement
Most problems with RV a/c's are due to problems with that.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dirtclod » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:57 am

Hi Hankeye,

The thermostat is in the intake area of the unit. I thought that maybe the cold air was somehow getting to the thermostat and telling it to cut off but I made sure teh outlet was sealed with the gasket and also added aluminum tape to the outlet to make sure that all the air was gouing to the vents. Heck I even put a styrofoam block over the thermostat probe hoping that it would stay nice and warm and keep the compressor on longer. Still didnt make a difference.

I am supposed to call the dealer that sold the 5th wheel to dad today and see if he can look it over and cover under warranty if there is an issue. The thing is less than a year old, should be still under warranty, we'll see what he says.
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby tnriverluver » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Dirtclod wrote:
tnriverluver wrote:Just a suggestion, but replace those hex bolts in your tie-downs with carriage bolts. Those are going to be very unpleasant to step on when you have to get up in the middle of the night barefooted! Nice build so far! Looks like you have the exact same carpet on your walls as I have on mine.

Hey Tnriverluver, The interior of your trailer was definitely an inspiration on the build. :thumbsup: Just wait ..Mine is not quite a twin of yours but is at least a distant relative ...

Yeah I Realize those bolts are kinda big. The plates are countersunk too but I couldn't find bolts in a hurry before the Rally in Tellico at the time. I still plan on swapping them out ... One day ...

More pics later.

Glad I could be an inspiration to someone. I truly love my carpeted walls and will do it again if I ever have to build another. Saves a lot of time and has held up just like new after nearly 5 years of heavy use now. Also gives something soft for your head and hands when tossing around in bed at night.
tnriverluver
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:03 pm

I picked up a 3X5 laminate sheet at the local big box hardware store and made a countertop for the cabinets on the front. For some reason I didnt take a pic of that but you can see it in some of the other pics.

Beds:

I wanted 2 fold up beds that were big enough that you didnt feel like you would fall of if you rolled over so I went bought a King size Spa Senstations mattress Wallyworld and cut it into 3 pieces, 2 @ 30 inch wide 75 long and one at 20 wide 75 long. The idea was that I would have 2 foldout beds 30 wide if me and the boys go and a 20 inch piece that I can set in the middle and make a king size bed for me and momma when she goes. Made them out of 1/2 plywood with additial strips on the bottom for strength and allow for the hinge screws. I added carpet to them so the cushions wouldnt sit on wood and gate latches to hold them up. Side peices are 2X8 that were carpeted and bolted to the wall. Top pieces are the same laminate i used for the countertop and really come in handy for nightstands. Great place to put your glasses, book, beer, whatever before falling asleep

I added Tnuts to the plywood beds and made legs that had a threaded insert that screws into the plywood for legs. (still needed to be painted at this point)

All folded out.

You might have noticed that I also bought some really slick diamond plate crown molding to hide all the wiring. Really came out nice and matches the back splash

Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:51 pm

I had a RV shop do the upholstery work for me and they worked out pretty well. Were a bit loose so we added some fiber batting to them and that helps the upholstery from getting all wrinkled when you get up.

Add this middle section to make a King size bed. (still needs painting)

This bed was very comfortable on our week long trip to S Carolina !!

Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Well thats about where I am today.

My latest project is coming up with a way to make a couch like this.

Right now its just the middle board leaned up against the wall and the middle sction leaned up against it. Open to any suggestions. Perhaps some sort of hook that I can hang that middle board on ?? ??
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby cornfused » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Take a look at the linkage on this setup. I was planning on trying to recreate it, but I think I am going a different rout now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Trailer-Roll ... ca&vxp=mtr

cornfused
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:20 pm

WOW

Did you throw this thing mostly together since Oct 4th ?
That's when you had bare walls.
Then this is a world record built :lol: :shock:

Jerry
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dirtclod » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:20 pm

OverTheTopCargoTrailer wrote:WOW

Did you throw this thing mostly together since Oct 4th ?
That's when you had bare walls.
Then this is a world record built :lol: :shock:

Jerry

I wish. This is the reason that I didn't post updates as I went. I bought the trailer last November so this has been ongoing for almost a year. :?

My wife asked the other day if I was almost done and I don't remember who here said it first but I told her I would NEVER be finished.

Cornfused,

I like those tumble couches but I don't have the metal work skills to pull that off. I was thinking about somehow making some kind of wall hinge that can be store behind the cushion. Its ideas like this that make the above statement true. I may never get finished.

I have a few more projects that I am working on ... like removable bunk beds / shelfs using the E trak in by the ramp doors. I made the ends fold up so its easier to handle and put n the Etrak brackets

You can see how they fit in, this way I can sleep up to 4 guys or 3 guys and have a big shelf to store stuff. They still need carpet added n the pics.The 2X4 with eyebolts is put near the floor and used for tying down bicycles.

Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:05 am

I think I want a more wood tone interior in mine, but these pictures really test my conviction. Your trailer sure looks great and has got me thinking of the carpeted walls. Nice Job! Looks very professional.

Bob
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Dirtclod » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:44 pm

llrowe,

I decided early on that I wanted to keep the "toy hauler" theme and went with the gray / black look.

Lowes did have a beige color carpet in the same texture that might look pretty good. The carpet really gives it a clean look. Covers screw holes up really well too. I have run screws in the wall for temporary blinds and pulled em back out and you cant even see the hole.

Had some time this afternoon and made a way to mount the spare to the wall in the closet. Used some oak I had laying around and bolted to the wall and built up 3 pieces of oak with a T nut in the stack, used an eye bolt and a round piece of 1/2 plywood and bolted the tire to the wall.

Also put up some mini blinds last week. Still need to make some valances covered in black vinyl

Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby Tahoe Neil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:18 am

Details + Thought + Time + Money + Skills = GREAT BUIILD

Congratulations :applause:
Tahoe Neil
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dirtclod » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Tahoe Neil wrote:Details + Thought + Time + Money + Skills = GREAT BUIILD

Congratulations :applause:

Thanks Tahoe

Details - Check
Thought - Too Much
Time - Almost a Year so far
Money - Too scared to add it up
Skills - Still learning
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby roadinspector » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Impressive! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions