Gadget Mans Adventure Trailer Photos

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Gadget Mans Adventure Trailer Photos

Postby pete42 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Gadget Man wrote:Pete, So where are you on your build?
I read once that you ordered a trailer, but then canceled the order? is that correct? :o

Gadget Man

yes I did order one but I had to go into the hospital several times in the past month or so
I'm still looking but can't spend much at this time.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:22 am

Gadget Man,

What a great build! Very inspirational!

I just re-read your thread from the beginning to catch up what I've missed the past several months. I've been doing some extensive adventure motorcycle travel (30,000 miles this past year, about 75% on-road - 25% off-road). Since my wife is not up for the megamile riding trips.... next year we'll be trailering our bikes to National Parks and taking day trips out from our campsites.

Last week on a ride I found a used 2012 "custom motorcycle" 7 x 14 V-nose tandem trailer at an RV dealership. It was a trade in on a large 5th wheel camper/toy hauler. After some back & forth negotiations over the past week I brought the trailer home. Now I'm trying to decide what to change, what to keep. It has heat/AC, lighting, outlets, side vents, insulation, the walls & ceiling are finished in aluminum, floor & ramp are covered with checkerboard lanolium, plus several other add-ons..... It is a nice custom trailer but I need to make some changes. I would like to keep the "motorcycle customizations" but add living space for 2 people. First, I want to add windows, next a Max Air roof vent/fan, and permanent bedding. Also need to beef up the 12V wiring system, the A/C electrical system seems fine.

We hope to try it out for a shake down trip during Thanksgiving, getting ready for a 2 week trip at Christmas & New Years.

There are lots of your ideas I hope to borrow. I especially like the fold down beds/sofas, kayak slings & the ramp patio. Of course your carpentry skills are wonderful (I won't be attempting that level of finish).

Thanks for posting your build.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby David_L6 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:08 am

Kankujoe,

What kind of bike do you have?
David_L6
Donating Member

Postby CaptD » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 am

Nice to see some other adventure/dual sport riders on this forum. Capt D.
2015 Pro Line 7x7x24
2001 Ford E 250
2011 WR 250R
2007 KLR 650
2007 TW 200
CaptD
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:58 pm

David_L6 wrote:Kankujoe,

I currently have four:

2012 Suzuki V-Strom ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan, and a 2008 Yamaha TW200. Another is on the way (2013 Honda CRF250L) just a soon as my local dealer has one in stock. My wife has a 2009 TW200. She plans on getting a V-Strom after she gets more experience.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:54 am

Kankujoe wrote:

I currently have four:

2012 Suzuki V-Strom ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan, and a 2008 Yamaha TW200. Another is on the way (2013 Honda CRF250L) just a soon as my local dealer has one in stock. My wife has a 2009 TW200. She plans on getting a V-Strom after she gets more experience.

Sold the Vulcan & bought the Honda CRF today.
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby crumvoc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:10 am

Kankujoe wrote:
David_L6 wrote:
I currently have four: 2012 Suzuki V-Strom ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan, and a 2008 Yamaha TW200.

TW200! That was my first scooter. What a great, simple bike. Sort of the motorcycle equivalent of a farm tractor! It was fun, and a great bike to learn on. But one day I got on a larger dual sport and realized that I did not have to be in a crouched position all the time! Legroom, what a concept! Anyway, on thing led to another, and now I have a 1996 KLR with about 15,000 miles on it. Great bike, which came to me fully farkled. The way I think of it is if, in the 1980's, the soviet politbureau told soviet industrial designers to build a one-size-sort-of-fits-all-bike for the army, farmers, loggers, distance riders and commuters, they would have come up with a KLR (that leaked oil all over your garage floor). Stout, simple and capable (the US Marine Corp has a diesel version of the KLR). Aint' bikes fun!
Living in the high-desert.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby David_L6 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Kankujoe,

You definately have the kind of bikes that I'd like to have. I've been considering a KTM or Yamaha. Recently saw that KTM may be bringing an 1190 over next year.
David_L6
Donating Member

Postby crumvoc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Kankujoe wrote:

I currently have four: ...2011 Kawasaki Versys,

I have loitered on a Versys at the dealer, and like what I saw. Seems like it is a little more road oriented alternative to a 650 v-strom. I wonder how a Versys would do on gravel roads if you put more aggressive tires on it?
Living in the high-desert.
crumvoc
Teardrop Master

Postby Kankujoe » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:34 pm

crumvoc wrote:
Kankujoe wrote:

I have loitered on a Versys at the dealer, and like what I saw. Seems like it is a little more road oriented alternative to a 650 v-strom. I wonder how a Versys would do on gravel roads if you put more aggressive tires on it?

My Versys does fine on dirt & gravel fire trails & jeep trails. Wouldn't attempt single track with it without major mods. Same with the V-Strom although it does a little better in the dirt.
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby David_L6 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:09 am

Kankujoe wrote:
crumvoc wrote:
Kankujoe wrote:

My Versys does fine on dirt & gravel fire trails & jeep trails. Wouldn't attempt single track with it without major mods. Same with the V-Strom although it does a little better in the dirt.

We have 4 bikes for single track stuff (two CR250s, a KDX200, and a TT-R230). Just need something that's street legal and dirt capable.
David_L6
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:36 am

Gadget Man, Howdy;

WOW !!!

One question, where is the propane supply for your
heater ???

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gadget Man » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:14 pm

Hank:
You had to bring that up....It's the biggest mistake I made on my entire trailer, I should have ordered the extended tongue.
I really don't have a spot to "mount" my 25 pound LP tank, so I have the furnace on a flexible stainless hose that runs out a special hole in the floor, I then just set the tank on the ground, locked to the tongue. I have measured 100 times and just can't get enough room to mount one up front. I have seen those tall skinny 11 pound LP tanks. I could make one of those work, but haven't gotten there yet.

This picture was when I was testing the furnace. I since have made a hole in the floor out of a piece of PVC pipe glued in place with a fitting for a screw on cap. So now the fuel line come out the bottom and i can shut the door.

My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Gadget Man » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Crumvoc
Kankujoe
David_L6

Hey Guys, I'm so sorry I missed all your last questions about the Bikes, I've been super busy with a new job and haven't been on here in almost 2 months.
I can't believe it, I hope we can re-start this conversation. My two favorite topics right now, my bikes and my trailer project.

David_L6;
I used to own both a Yamaha BW-200 and a TW-200, And get this, I also owned a Rokon. check it out here. http://www.rokon.com

Kankujoe;
This is exactly why I built this trailer, my wife will not do the long days on the bike anymore, so we trailer to campgrounds and use that for our base camp for day trips.
We ride a big Yamaha Road Star when we go together. Some times I'll just bring my BMW 650 if I'm going to go explore some fire trails on my own. It is an equal trade off, my wife gets her book reading time and I get to go ride. Win-Win for all.
But my plan for 2013 is to sell both of those and buy a Suzuki V-Strom. I have been researching that bike for over a year, and feel it's the way I want to go now.
How do you like yours? Do you often ride 2-up on it?

Here is a picture of the BMW inside the trailer before we mounted the Sofa Beds.
I was measuring for the 20th time.

Merry Christmas Everyone.
Gadget Man
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:33 am

Gadget Man, Howdy;

he,he,he, Just so's ya know someone out here really IS readin' these massive posts...

Good to know about the extended toungue, I'll be sure to ask about that.

Thanks again,

hank

Oh, by-the-way, how well does that Jack tv ant. do??? Do those little arms extend???
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions