Conversion of my Blair Cargo trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Kankujoe » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:11 am

catrinka wrote:
Kankujoe wrote:Progress Report:

Also thinking about putting "skid plates" or strips on the bottom of the boxes, sofa/bed so that they slide easier on the carpet. .

Just be careful of how easily they slide. I took a trip before I had the bed frame fastened down and it migrated from one end of the trailer to the other.

Looking forward to seeing your trailer at Minden.

I'm trying to find a balance between something that will let me slide my sofa/bed combo easily on carpet but not so easy that it will be "skating" all over while in transit. I'm also trying to come up with a way to "lock" the pieces in place for transit.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

As far as seeing my trailer at Minden, please don't expect too much. Most of the TD/TTTs on this forum will far out shine my rig. My craftsman skills (or lack thereof) are very humble compared to what I've seen on the forum. Some of the woodwork, cabinetry & trim on these rigs is fancier than I put in my own home (by a long shot). There are "framing" (rough in) carpenters & there are "trim" (finish) carpenters. I'm a novice in the former group.

My main motivation (lame excuse - I know) is to have a functional rig that is sturdy enough to be banged around during my biking/hiking/kayaking treks.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Gambam » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:51 am

if you want something very easy, use the plastic sliders people use to move couches around. I have a set I use to remove the bench seats in my van. just set one under each corner and you can slide it anywhere.

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001418.php

these are the ones I have
http://www.ezmoves.com/
Gambam
Donating Member

Postby catrinka » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:58 pm

KJ, I totally understand what you are saying about woodwork. I started working on mine and then my dad took pity on me, hauled the trailer home to his place and finished it off for me. He did a much better job than I would have but its not exactly how I wanted it. For now I'll live with his way, and gradually change it to the way I want it (assuming I develop some skills :lol: )

See ya at Minden
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Kankujoe » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:14 pm

Progress Report:

Sanded Bed/Sofa & Storage boxes today and rounded off all the sharp corners. The main box (53x25x14) is quite heavy & the two Table/Storage boxes (26.5x25x14) are not light either so I decided to cut hand grab slots on all four sides in addition to the tops so that I can move them easier. What a difference a few extra hand grab points can make when moving these boxes!

Not sure if I'll get to paint them before Minden. I really want to make sure the paint is dry so it won't adhere to my new carpet or cushions in this humidity. Also decided to wait on the base board trim until I figure out my cabin wiring. I may be able to route some wires under the trim.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:48 am

I uploaded photos of the Sofa/Bed/Tables/Storage combo boxes I've been working on. I will use them "as is" until I get a chance to paint them and glue some light weight marine carpet on the tops.

This batch of photos has some spots on them... apparently I have some dust on my lens that I missed.

Now, where is that lens paper?

I'll repeat the photos after I get the boxes painted & carpeted.
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:56 am

Gambam wrote:if you want something very easy, use the plastic sliders people use to move couches around. I have a set I use to remove the bench seats in my van. just set one under each corner and you can slide it anywhere.

Gambam, Thanks for the link, how slippery are they? Do you think they would cause things to slide or shift around while towing?
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Gambam » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:41 am

Kankujoe wrote:
Gambam wrote:if you want something very easy, use the plastic sliders people use to move couches around. I have a set I use to remove the bench seats in my van. just set one under each corner and you can slide it anywhere.

Gambam, Thanks for the link, how slippery are they? Do you think they would cause things to slide or shift around while towing?

Oh yea, if you leave them under there, things would be flying around. I would just get a set and put them under the corners when you set up camp. With these things under a couch you can slide it around a carpeted room like it is on ice.

Just make sure you don't leave one laying around and step on it. You will go flying on your butt, just like when people step on Banana peels in the movies. Don't ask me how I know. :?
Gambam
Donating Member

Postby jagular7 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:59 pm

To hold things still, you could look into loops, picture hangers, jeep hood clasps, minivan seat tracks (rollers and lockdowns), simple pegs. A lot of these things will require another framing point to pivot against.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby brian_bp » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:55 pm

For the furniture movement issue...
How about fixed (non-swivel) caster wheels, and indents in the floor in both the couch and bed positions?

I was going to suggest a visit to a furniture store to see how they handle the same problem, but you already have boxes (rather than a folding frame), so I don't think their solutions would be directly applicable. If anyone at an earlier stage is curious, check out the IKEA PS Sofa-Bed.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kankujoe » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:54 am

I bought six D-rings that I will attach part-way up the side walls. I want to lock my sofa/bed/boxes in place when towing. Plan on using ratchet-binder straps to keep them in place.

Also installed a "Coleman - Wardrobe Caddie" on the right wall. It was something that I never used in my Tent Trailer but it will be handy in my TTT. I will use this to store my clothes & shoes. Also installed a cargo net on the opposite wall and a few storage pockets at the head of the bed.

Next, I have to construct a screen door. Still thinking about how best to install it. It will be a bi-fold. I may attach it with some sore of slide pins (used on French doors) to the stationary side in place. I may have to add a couple of 1x2s to the side walls to secure the screen door. I may use a combo or velcro & pins. Not exactly sure just yet.

In the past I've just hang the screen material from a wire with clothes pins (like a shower curtain) but the Mrs. wants something more secure if we sleep with the door open.
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Headed off to Minden tomorrow afternoon. I still have a lot of things to finish on my TTT but it is "campable." I'm looking forward to meeting others from this forum and seeing all the different TDs & TTTs. I hope to come home with lots of new ideas for my cargo conversion.
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:04 am

I'll spending part of my day today looking for new tires for my trailer. I did not know that tires have an expiration date. I always thought you replaced your tires based on wear & tear, condition and mileage.

Based on rough calculations I've put in excess of 15 thousand miles (30K total) & at least 5 more years of service on tires that have been expired!!!

Coast-to-coast 5-6 times, sometimes filled beyond trailer capacity and I've never even had a flat or used my spare. I guess I've been pretty lucky (or pretty dumb).

I hope I can find someone with Goodyear Marathons in stock who can put them on today. Or I guess I will not be headed to Minden.
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:50 pm

Kankujoe wrote:I'll spending part of my day today looking for new tires for my trailer. I did not know that tires have an expiration date. I always thought you replaced your tires based on wear & tear, condition and mileage.

Based on rough calculations I've put in excess of 15 thousand miles (30K total) & at least 5 more years of service on tires that have been expired!!!

Coast-to-coast 5-6 times, sometimes filled beyond trailer capacity and I've never even had a flat or used my spare. I guess I've been pretty lucky (or pretty dumb).

I hope I can find someone with Goodyear Marathons in stock who can put them on today. Or I guess I will not be headed to Minden.

Fortunately I found someone who had tires in stock & could mount them. Also had spindle bearings inspected & repacked.

Unfortunately our departure time was pushed back several hours which got us in rush hour traffic through Kansas City & Overland Park Kansas. Got to go to Minden but arrived Saturday at lunch vs. Friday evening. Spent the night in a Wally World parking lot somewhere north of Salina, Kansas.

At Minden, I got many ideas to incorporate in my TTT conversion. I'm glad I got to go, next time I'll plan better so we can be there more than 24 hours.
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:16 pm

Progress Report:

Painted bed/sofa & storage boxes and glued light weight outdoor carpet on tops (hunter green carpet... light beige paint).
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Tongue Box

Postby foolsfortune » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:00 pm

Where did you get/what brand is your tongue box?
foolsfortune
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions