Have a design idea... help pick it apart!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby BC Dave » Wed May 26, 2010 1:42 am

Kixwy2 wrote:...... found an adapter kit for the Mr. Buddy heaters that allow it to hook up to a larger propane tank.

General Note - Im sure you know this; but propane produces CO2, oderless tasteless, it displaces Oxygen when bunt in enclosed spaces; yes buddy heaters have low oxygen shutoffs; but leave an upper and lower vent open while using them in enclosed spaces; I beleive CO2 is a heavier gas and sinks to the bottom .... there are countless suffocation deaths in RV's due to people using stoves to heat on colder days ....
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Minutiae

Postby Engineer Guy » Wed May 26, 2010 10:10 am

Kix ~

I'm not in the Sound Reinforcement/Mixing biz right now, but may return to playing Bass around what we call the W. Slope once we downsize to one house from several. If you're looking for ATA Flight Cases or Hardware, I assume it's all still out there and more competitively-priced than in the olden days when 1 or 2 pricy companies were dominant ['Anvil' for one].

You've certainly got the skill set to build your own cases. Glue and screw stout Plywood after squaring; contact cement on the scuff covering; cut and screw on the metal edges and lift-away hinges; screw in 19" rack mount stock; and Saber Saw out for latches. Add casters if req'd. I rolled my own Case for a >kiloWatt, bi-amped Bass rig w/Nady Wireless. As with a TD or CT, it's nice to customize and save some shekels.

Read here about one of my Neighbors still doin' it. His last local '08 Concert was just great. Here's the corrected Link:

http://www.deltacountyindependent.com/i ... 4&Itemid=0

http://www.cocker.com/

Einstein, here, about gassed myself and a pal staying in our Avion Land Yacht after I put a new Furnace P.C. Board from 'Dinosaur' electronics in the aging Furnace. Besides being cold inside, insulated Water Tanks and plumbing freeze w/o heat! Note to myself: plumb a CT to gravity drain completely out of one tee'd Valve. This Board tries 3 times to light the Furnace, and then times out until +12 VDC power is power-cycled. This upgrade saved the dual Batteries, since Furnace Fans eat Battery Amps for breakfast. I somehow forgot to un-plug the drafty, through-wall exhaust pipe after this repair, and the CO Alarm warned us. I think the leaky Jalousie Windows saved us, too. Live [ideally] and learn... Catalytic heaters rock WITH a [heavier-than-air] Propane Detector in use. The Propane adpt. hose you found also might fit items like a Coleman 2 Burner Stove, too; mine does.

We took Showers many times in Scotland in Campsite Bathrooms at ambient temps [and humidity]. You feed consecutive 10 pence coins [their Dimes] into demand 'flash' Heaters to keep the Shower hot. You can stay very warm in ~35 degree temps. I never could get my head around a 220 VAC Flash Heater IN the Shower Stall, but that's how they do it. Consider an outside Shower with a low flow Shower Head and push button shut off. For privacy, make a half-arc, quick disconnect Shower Rod [made of old Electrical Conduit?] w/opaque, weighted Curtain to hang off the Trailer. Perhaps a removable, fold down shelf that holds a Cook Stove could double duty as a support for Shampoo and 'stuff'. For my outside gravity-fed Shower [a black Bucket w/Hose pulley'ed up in a Tree] while in a Tent Trailer, I stood on a used Car Mat on a Pallet. An 8' RV Water Hose and 'pistol' Garden Sprayer that shuts off completely did the trick, and has LOTS of siphoned flow. I'm a hard core Recycler. Though noisy, a good ole Shurflo Pump also works fine. For barter, I replaced a hand pump Sink Faucet [& other stuff] in a borrowed Tent Trailer; one pump approach to moving Sink water only.

Some wizard herein uses a Pressure Cooker heated up and monitored w/a pressure gauge for his pump-free Shower Hot Water. Simply brilliant.

We use Evaporative 'Swamp' Coolers at a couple of our places. I plan to at least frame in the CT roof for this Cooler linked below. I like fresh air coming in - even in 'Fan Only' mode - and the low Amps draw over time. They work best in dry climates. It's PV Solar compatible. Come time to add PV Panels, shop for imperfect 'blems'.

http://www.turbokool.com/

For long term Camping off-Grid, I plan to 'bring the mountain to Mohammed' [the CT], as the old saying goes. A cassette Toilet dumped safely will be the preferred 'take away' sewage solution. A backup, larger, potable pumped water tank in the covered Truck bed will be the 2nd half of this solution to avoid moving our CT once set up.

I grew up in the Orange Groves of La Sierra, and my Dad worked in 'San Berdoo', as we called it. You've definitely got the plethora of RV/Trailer joints around you; a great thing. There's a HUGE set of RV Dealerships where Hwy. 60 and 91 intersect in N. Riverside. It's a real plus that you can stand up in a standard ceiling Trailer; not my luck. My fave Desert spot for minimalist Car Camping was around China Lake and Trona. As in W. CO., night skies back then were to die for. Out east of Pala and Mt. Palomar is very kewl, too, but you'd want a group around you out there for safety, I would think... Old news to you, I'm sure. 'Frontiertown', by Yucca Valley, is kewl.

http://www.palagems.com/mining.htm
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions