Its sort of mine!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Here it is I hope.

Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Re: Predator Generators
Magnumtd: As someone who also has many thousands of hours on Chinese generators -I have actually owned, not just speculated about- I must concur with your statements. The last one read 1752 hours on the meter when it suffered a nylon cam failure. No biggie. HF 79.5 cc just happened to be the exact same engine as one used on UST 1350 generator. (Save the FACT that the Predator engine has a steel cam instead of a nylon one.)

With a 20% off coupon I bought a HF engine for $87 SHIPPED to my door. I swapped the tapered shaft crank and side discharge muffler from the old gen onto the HF engine, set speed on govenor and it is running at this moment with about 600 hours on it already without a problem. All I do is change the oil weekly (not a biggie at about 1/2 a quart) and add a strong magnet to drain plug.

I own an old Kohler 4.5 KW and a U.S. military surplus Lombardini 6.5 KW gen that I use for my high power needs, but running on generator as my primary source of power I am much more interested in fuel efficiency and running time per tank. I get between 12-14 hours of gen power from a 1.1 gallon tank.

I've had FAR more problems in far fewer hours on both my Kohler and my surplus gen. A new automatic choke for my Kohler is priced at $234! The wiring on my USA MADE surplus gen (with Baldor gen head) was absolute CRAP that melted into a blob on the connector between gen head and output panel. (US mfg used CRAP 9A MOLEX connectors on 20 A circuits. My springtime project will be to fully rewire output using 40 A barrier strips between gen head and output panel.)

I wonder just how many hours actual running time -without any failures- all these China bashers are getting on their beloved Onans and Kohlers. I KNOW I can count on getting well over 1000 hours of REAL DAILY USAGE out of my cheap Chinese crap. And then buy TWO replacement engines for less than one Kohler replacement part.

I guess everyone is entitled to their own delusions.... I just choose to base mine upon actual experience instead of heavily biased speculation.

Let the flames begin!
Doc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:36 pm

So the 8 started first pull the 3 was hard to start. That lead me to more info on them. Like a carb swap!

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:58 pm

McDave
I tried sending a message but couldn't so please read this!
I thought I read online 1800 but that may have been for the 2 stroke.
I bought a new book that includes OHV engines. Haven't had time to read all of it but did find some good pointers. Image
I am going to try the crank swap just for a learning experience. I took it out already, just thinking yesterday of possibilities. Didn't know I was on the right track then . If it runs I did good if not I'll learned a 100$ lesson. But I saved more than 100$ on the 8 that is to big and heavy for the walk behind leaf blower. I do feel bad about someone being ripped off, & hope they catch the person using the cards.
By the end of week I should have ring gear and starter motor, for my big generators. I'm really hoping that they fit. My ability to start them isn't always reliable ! Was very surprised that I was able to, for test run. With the wind and freezing rain we've been having I worried about power outages. Thankfully we haven't had any -yet.
Well thanks have a good day !

PS
I don't understand the need for an inverter type could you explain on my thread?
Thanks again
Cherrie

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Crankshaft swapped and exhaust. Test running

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Generator is not working. After tearing down a new engine and installing used crank, engine runs. Hooked up "head" and started engine plugged in a light no workie! Circuit breakers aren't out. Out off ideas .

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:01 am

Don't you be giving up just yet. That's not your style. Take a breather and let me get caught up to ya. I've been preoccupied with a issue on the wife's car. It's just been so cold that I can only work in short bursts before the fingers are frostbit, and we keep getting snow. I spend hours almost every day just moving snow, but you have to keep up with it or you'll regret it for the rest of the winter, which could be 3 or 4 more months.
I got the car squared away, I hope. But I'm worn out. I meant to get back to you Sunday but just had my hands full.
I'll get some rest and get back with you tomorrow. We'll see what we can come up with then.
Hang in there kiddo.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:22 am

Thanks,
I'm working the next few days so I can't play with it. Well I'm working if I can get down the ice rink that's my road. Got an hour before I need to try. I'm hoping it will be better than.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Don't know what was different. I took it back off engine and reinstalled the same way.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:27 pm

Success! Just like a pro. I like it. :thumbsup:

You, are an amazing individual. ... ;)
Great job.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Thank you
That video plays for me hope others can view it too.
Here is finished unit.

I actually think the RPM's weren't high enough before. The throttle is very stiff.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Great Job Padilen! It pays to be handy and know a few things about stuff. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Thank you
But I don't know much. I haven't a clue what you are doing to that AC of Tommy's. But I like taking things apart and putting them back together.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Padilen wrote:Thank you
But I don't know much. I haven't a clue what you are doing to that AC of Tommy's. But I like taking things apart and putting them back together.

I learned a lot of things by taking stuff apart myself over the years. My parents use to get mad at me for taking all my toys, bicycles, and anything that had a motor apart. The first thing I did when I got my first watch was take it apart because I was curious how it worked... I am sure you know a lot more than you give yourself credit for.. Most folks would not even attempt doing what you have done with your CTC and etc..
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:51 pm

Got my HF step today. .
Thanks to all that shared.
I was excited yesterday when I traveled 45 miles south. For my first injection in my neck. No snow cover just push piles. And was told, tapping of maple trees is suppose to start tomorrow. Only for snow and cold and high winds for today. Bike is still in pieces, but I believe all parts needed and unneeded are here. I can re assemble rear end as soon as I cleanup frame and back end of bike.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Tapping of trees was completed yesterday. Sap is slowly trying to run. New pump house is ready. New chimney is on evaporator. New addition to bottling room unfinished and a mess.!
But, I got to use the new tractor today
And McDave, remember when you thought Liza may not like to pose ?
Here she is showing off.

Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions