Question on 12 volt refer (updated with some answers)

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Norcold DE0788

Postby Jeffmo63 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:36 pm

Well, now that it all has been said I ordered and took delivery of my Norcold DE0788 free standing 12 volt refer/freezer. Initial impressions are favorable. Back end looks like some nice well-made hardware. I have not been able to do any serious testing yet but I did temporarily wire it up and it got cold. Actually freezing in the freezer compartment. Has a mild compressor hum, but not objectionable. I left it hooked up over night and it was still chillin away 24 hours later. I'm really hoping for 50 hours + on a 115 amp group 27. As previously stated, I'm going to supplement with 80 watts of solar. Will continue to update status. Thanks all for comments.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby kstephenson » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:47 pm

Jeff

Where did you get it? About what cost?

Thanks

Kevin
Kevin
Georgia State Parks Canyon Climbers Club
Hunting - Fishing - Camping- Backwoods
kstephenson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jeffmo63 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:21 pm

kstephenson wrote:Jeff

Where did you get it? About what cost?

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin, I bought my refer/freezer from wholesale marine for about $980. Expensive but 3 amp current draw is the real prize here. Link is to the page at WM.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/NOR-D ... rator.html
jeff
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Kudos

Postby Engineer Guy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:26 am

10 +6 thanks to those who shared actual experience w/Reefers. +12 VDC, that is. It will allow many of us to make sound investments in off grid units.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Reminder

Postby Jeffmo63 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:49 pm

Just a little reminder. The 12v leads on this model (Norcold DE0788) are stowed behind a small access panel on the back of the refer/freezer. It took my a while of poking around to find the very small decal indicating the wires are behind the panel. Not covered in the instructions.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Mounting

Postby Jeffmo63 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Today I am mounting the refer/freezer in the trailer. I am using a 7/16 bolt and a coupling nut and another 7/16 bolt through (from the bottom) the floor. This should be more than adequate and will let a little more cooling air flow under the bottom of the refer.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

refer/freezer

Postby Jeffmo63 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Here is my refer/freezer installed and operating on 12 vdc. Wiring to be neatly bundled when lighting checks out. Overall, very pleased so far.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby Jeffmo63 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Well, it has been 24 hours off grid with the refer/freezer. I am very pleased with this product. It holds temperature within a degree of 36 with the thermostat set at 3 1/4 and partially filled. This is about what the instructions recommend (3) and I could probably back off a bit. Battery is 80% and that is with the Fan-tastic vent operating intermittently. As previously stated I want to get an 80w solar panel and that may allow me to operate nearly a week under optimum conditions and careful use of lighting. 3-4 days is probably a consevative estimate. Leaving for the Oshkosh Airshow for 10 days. Will keep updating.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby d30gaijin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Jeffmo63 wrote:
Kevin, I bought my refer/freezer from wholesale marine for about $980. Expensive but 3 amp current draw is the real prize here. Link is to the page at WM.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/NOR-D ... rator.html
jeff

For what it is worth, I have ordered a few things from Wholesale Marine and my experience has been wonderful. They are great folks to deal with. Very prompt shipping and excellent in getting the tracking info to you. A big thumbs up to them. :thumbsup:

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby d30gaijin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:08 pm

OK, after reading this thread I have a question as a relative newbie to CT conversions (am building my own). What might be the drawback to something like this (see URL below) if one mostly camps at locations with 110v AC (other than can't have it running while traveling) supposing one buys most of their supplies once they get to their camping destination or puts what they want to bring from home in an ice cooler until arrival at the camp ground/state park? Would shock/vibration during travel be an issue for a reefer intended for home use if the reefer is off during travel?

Just curious because it is a heck of a lot cheaper than any 12v compressor reefer.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04694689000P?prdNo=7

Thanks for any feedback,
Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Jeffmo63 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 pm

d30gaijin wrote:OK, after reading this thread I have a question as a relative newbie to CT conversions (am building my own). What might be the drawback to something like this (see URL below) if one mostly camps at locations with 110v AC (other than can't have it running while traveling) supposing one buys most of their supplies once they get to their camping destination or puts what they want to bring from home in an ice cooler until arrival at the camp ground/state park? Would shock/vibration during travel be an issue for a reefer intended for home use if the reefer is off during travel?

Just curious because it is a heck of a lot cheaper than any 12v compressor reefer.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04694689000P?prdNo=7

Thanks for any feedback,
Don

Don, given the conditions you describe I don't think there is problem with using one of the small refers for household use. I seem to remember that if you get these things off level too far they won't work for a while but I am unsure of any specifics. I have a small Black and Decker refer/freezer that works great but it draws my battery down too fast when used with an inverter. Sounds like not a problem with you. Good Luck.
Jeff

P.S. I have another thread under the Builders Journal titled Pace American 6 x 12. You can see some of the things I've done with my CT.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby d30gaijin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:06 pm

Jeffmo63 wrote:Don, given the conditions you describe I don't think there is problem with using one of the small refers for household use. I seem to remember that if you get these things off level too far they won't work for a while but I am unsure of any specifics. I have a small Black and Decker refer/freezer that works great but it draws my battery down too fast when used with an inverter. Sounds like not a problem with you. Good Luck.
Jeff

P.S. I have another thread under the Builders Journal titled Pace American 6 x 12. You can see some of the things I've done with my CT.

Jeff,

Again, thank you for your excellent advice. I have visited your thread in the Build Journal Forum, although I forgot I did also before. Be that as it may, it is a nice thread and I truly appreciate your postings and what you share.

I think I will go with the cheaper Sears reefer and see what happens. Today I can afford to lose $150. Tomorrow, well maybe not, but what the heck. I'll worry about that when...

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Jeffmo63 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:50 am

d30gaijin wrote:
Jeffmo63 wrote:Don, given the conditions you describe I don't think there is problem with using one of the small refers for household use. I seem to remember that if you get these things off level too far they won't work for a while but I am unsure of any specifics. I have a small Black and Decker refer/freezer that works great but it draws my battery down too fast when used with an inverter. Sounds like not a problem with you. Good Luck.
Jeff

Jeff,

Again, thank you for your excellent advice. I have visited your thread in the Build Journal Forum, although I forgot I did also before. Be that as it may, it is a nice thread and I truly appreciate your postings and what you share.

I think I will go with the cheaper Sears reefer and see what happens. Today I can afford to lose $150. Tomorrow, well maybe not, but what the heck. I'll worry about that when...

Don

I got mt slightly smaller Black and Decker at Walmart for about $90. They usually have a back to school/college sale in late summer and I guess these size refers are really popular for dorms. Either way, I think all we really want is to keep a few things cold.
Jeff
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby Jeffmo63 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Well, here goes on my first official report. Overall I am still pleased with my Norcold refer/freezer. Had an annoying rattle coming from the back and traced it to one of the copper referigerator lines rubbing on the case. I just rebent it slightly and noise is gone. I overloaded her with about 16 bottles of water to gain some thermal stability and it took the better part of a day to get the temperatures down to about 38. The freezer compartment kept my frozen meat rock solid however. Was initially concerned about the battery being drawn down by the refer, fan vent, and lighting but I wired in my new 80w solar panel and it is keeping up with load nicely. Next I will put some real food in there and see how she does. Here is my rig departing for 10 days of limited grid at EAA Oshkosh.

Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Vibration Isolation

Postby Engineer Guy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:48 am

Road vibration cumulatively can be tough on 'non-hardened' Appliances and misc. items. One trick is set such items on a square of select Foam with a piece of OSB on top of the Foam to distribute weight of the item.

Foam is rated in 'pounds' per cubic foot. There's 2 lb. and 3 lb. Foam, etc.. The latter is more dense. I've used a ~2" thick type that happens to be grey and relatively dense, say, to Bedding-type Foam. The 'right' density and Foam piece thickness prevents it from compressing too much under the weight of the Appliance while also providing good isolation from vibration. You might have to put a strap around the Fridge during travel, but it will be stable on the Foam & OSB once at Camp.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions