Question on 12 volt refer (updated with some answers)

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

feedback

Postby Jeffmo63 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks Engineer Guy. Excellent feedback. Wher I bolted my refer/freezer to the floor of the trailer I dimly sensed that some type of isolation would be in order. I was thinking rubber "pucks" between the frame and floor. I will continue to explore this as I am not completely satisfied with the installation. I also like your reference to hardened appliances. These refers are supposed to be able to withstand a marine environment and boats can take a tremendous beating. More to follow.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Re: Vibration Isolation

Postby d30gaijin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Engineer Guy wrote:Road vibration cumulatively can be tough on 'non-hardened' Appliances and misc. items. One trick is set such items on a square of select Foam with a piece of OSB on top of the Foam to distribute weight of the item.

Foam is rated in 'pounds' per cubic foot. There's 2 lb. and 3 lb. Foam, etc.. The latter is more dense. I've used a ~2" thick type that happens to be grey and relatively dense, say, to Bedding-type Foam. The 'right' density and Foam piece thickness prevents it from compressing too much under the weight of the Appliance while also providing good isolation from vibration. You might have to put a strap around the Fridge during travel, but it will be stable on the Foam & OSB once at Camp.

Engineer Guy,

Once again some great information. Thank you! :applause:

Any thoughts as to where one might find the dense foam you refer to? Would this be something I can find at Lowe's or Home Depot? I did a Google but came up with thousands of links of no use as to where to actually find the stuff. Sometimes I feel so helpless, thank God for TTTT and folks like you who are willing to share your knowledge here.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Foam On The Range

Postby Engineer Guy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 am

Don ~

I ran across dense Foam in my various Techno lives, and recycled it from applications mentioned below. I got educated on the matter of Foam density being measured in lbs/c.f. by a Foam Bed Manufacturer/Reseller. They put dense Foam in the middle of a Foam 'sandwich', and lighter Foam on both sides. When we were shopping for Foam Mattresses WAY back when in the pre-'Sleep Number Bed' days, we laid on various Foam densities and chose the most dense [3 lbs./c.f. center]. Initially, they're insanely 'hard', but feel great for snoozing. Those Beds are still the best for our post-Whiplash Necks. Today, 'Memory Foam' over some other Mattress achieves the same results. So, any Biz that manufacturers/resells Foam is a place to surf. I'm a hard core Dumpster diver, so look around these sorts of Businesses; I've worked in all of them:

1. Any Biz shipping/receiving sensitive Optics, Weighing [Lab Scales], Computer HDs, etc.. They cut out sections of Foam in which to then fit assemblies being shipped, and can't recycle the Foam. When you hit pay dirt on such Foam, you'll likely find a LOT of it. Often, you'll also find decent pieces of shipping crate lumber to recycle into interior Trailer framing; outside Kitchen Tables, etc..

2. ATA Flight Cases holding Pro Sound Gear use this Foam between the 19" Rack Mount Electronics and the outer Case. You roll in the Case; pop the front and back covers; and start cranking out the dBs. Electronics failing on stage in front of 20k folks is not an option, so protection matters.

I used dense Foam to protect very pricey Pro Sound Electronics and Mics hauled around in a large CT we seriously customized.

3. Styro Peanuts are used to ship 'one off' items. But, any Biz shipping/reselling mass quantities of Glass, Ceramics or fragile items might have such Foam in their Dumpster so that they don't have to think about shipping damage or custom packaging.

4. Boat/Car Seat/Couch/Office Chair cushions use pretty dense Foam. Dumpster dive at those Businesses.

When you find dense Foam and pick up a piece, the best relative measurement device is your hand as you exclaim 'whoa, this s**t is heavy'! ;-)

Cut whatever you find with a Bread Knife; it works great.

I wish I could post a link, but I don't know of one.

Removable pieces of Foam are great to set under non-hardened DVD Players; Satellite Receivers; etc..

~ Dennis ~
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby pete42 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:04 pm

I have use a dorm refer for over 30 years started using in tent then pop-up and also truck van. never had a problem I never ran it using invertor just plugged into 120.
I use to be an EAA member years ago I started a veri-eze, sold it to a air force colornal, then I built a smith sidewinder father died and I turned garage into living quarters for my mother it is now my ham radio room.
I hold a commerical with multi engines & Interstument rated we were regulars at rockford and Oshgosh for many years. Neice lives in Appleton.
we have flown in and camped, van camped and stayed with neice.
I'm now handicapped and it takes to much effort. hope you had fun.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions