Gadget Mans Adventure Trailer Photos

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Gadget Man » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Pete42
You mentioned something about a hanging closet. Well, here are a few shots of the cabinet that's in my bathroom. The bottom section is actually my battery box accessible through the front cargo door. Then there are two cabinet doors on top for towels and bathroom things. The open area in the center is the perfect height for hanging jackets or shirts. But it is this weird triangle shape, so you can only really hang full sized jackets on the right side.
Being a custom/ strange shape, I knew the closet rod would have to be custom as well. I tried to make something out of PVC pipe cut at an angle, but that just didn't work out and it was flimsy.
So that's when I thought of plumbing pipe fittings. I could have bought galvanized pipe, but found that standard black pipe was less than half price.
Check it out.

My local Menards Store had all the oak lumber on sale for 21% off.
so here is a picture of my sofa/bed.
I bought (8) 8-foot 1x8 oak boards (4) 8-foot 1x4 oak boards and (4) 8-foot 1x3 oak boards. I got all that for about $175.00
I have a pretty good idea of how the beds will look and think this is about what I will need to buy, so why not get it all on sale.

Gadget Man
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:49 am

2 floor flanges, 3 pipe nipples, two elbows=1 sturdy closet rod.
nice use of a space.

I have been looking at a cargo trailer either a 7X12 or a 7X14 for couple three years now.
made up my mind to order one this week when the snow and cold hit
so I have posponed the trip to Mi. until next week, unless something else comes up.
I will load it up with things I have aquired futon for bed couple of folding tables, coleman stove, porta-potty TV and I may even put in a small recliner.
couple drop cords heater and head off to Florida for a month or more.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gadget Man » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:31 pm

OK, today was the day I hauled all the freshly stained oak out to the trailer so I could assemble the new cabinet.
Thank goodness for all the Kreg pocket screws I used, it made assembly very easy. Also thank goodness for the new 36 in bar clamps that Santa Clause brought me, they came in very handy today.
As you can see my other clamps are just not long enough by themselves.
Everything is glued and screwed, typical Gadget Man overkill.
I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story...

Tomorrow I'll install some LED puck-light into the desk area and inside each cabinet.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:37 am

you will find a thousand things to use that desk for,
maybe add some hooks near the small shelves to hang keys,
small flashlight, dog strap many uses indeed, looks nice

Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 8ball_99 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:15 pm

looks good
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby jwhite » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:43 pm

I also built a desk area but not as nice as this one,it is one of the best things you can add to a trailer.
I found out I needed a place for my pillows sheets and bed spread,my bed folds up but I needed this space that is close to the bed for the bedding.
The desk area is also great to put thing you may need at night and easy to find,and the hooks are a must have I have them all over the place and they really are great at keeping the trailer organized.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Gadget man

I'm getting jealous you're knocking this thing out so fast. The quality of your work looks really great. I think I will order my next custom build CT from you. :thumbsup:
Maybe I can even bring my current project to your house for completion. I seem to be wasting too much time blogging and reading this form to make much progress on my project.

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/

Keep up with the great work.

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gadget Man » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks Guys for all the encouragement.

Pete, I'm all over the little cup hooks, I installed them today.
We have had some type of hook near the door of every camper we have ever had, why should this one be any different ?

I also installed one of the little LED light pucks in each cabinet. These are the same ones I have in the front upper cabinets.
Today I worked on a shelf to separate the front bathroom cabinet. It's the weird triangle shape, so I need to maximize every inch of space.
it's amazing how a simple shelf will double the interior usable space.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby droid_ca » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Your doing a good job on that trailer :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:17 am

I do like your build

I added a 12 volt light in the closet of my scamp it does make a world of difference
when your trying to find those poke-a-dot Bermuda shorts to wear on the beach in Miami Beach Florida,
those and my brown socks I wear with my sandals. :lol:
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GarArnett » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:50 pm

pete42 wrote:I do like your build

I added a 12 volt light in the closet of my scamp it does make a world of difference
when your trying to find those poke-a-dot Bermuda shorts to wear on the beach in Miami Beach Florida,
those and my brown socks I wear with my sandals. :lol:

At least your socks match, usually one is brown and one black for me. :shock:

And, great build!!
GarArnett
Teardrop Builder

Postby d30gaijin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Gadget Man,

Thank you so much for your build thread plus all the information and the detailed photos you have provided. A true wealth of information others, like me, can use. You are an incredible cabinet maker. You make it look so easy. Truly an inspiration to me as a person taking on, for the first time, something approaching only rudimentary cabinet making.

You have a beautiful build going. Please keep the photos and information coming as you progress with your build.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:10 am

I would like to echo Don's comments
and add of all the great builds on this site
your's must be near or at the top of the "great Builds" list.

:applause:

Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gadget Man » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Thank you guys;
It's all about helping others with their builds.
Don't think that I haven't paged through all of your build photos looking for ideas.
As far as my cabinet building skills...the Kreg pocket screw jig makes it so easy. That plus some glue and you're all set.
I have a basic 12 inch chop saw (with a great blade) for all my cutting.
Plus a $5.00 Black and Decker table top table saw (again with a real good blade) an older circular saw and a cheap old router.
The key is using the correct /sharp blade in all your tools, it prevents the chipping and tear-out problems that come with cheap dull tools.
Oh and a good pair of clamps are always a big help.

I love digital photography so sharing my build photos is something I enjoy.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby d30gaijin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Gadget Man wrote:Thank you guys;
It's all about helping others with their builds.
Don't think that I haven't paged through all of your build photos looking for ideas.
As far as my cabinet building skills...the Kreg pocket screw jig makes it so easy. That plus some glue and you're all set.
I have a basic 12 inch chop saw (with a great blade) for all my cutting.
Plus a $5.00 Black and Decker table top table saw (again with a real good blade) an older circular saw and a cheap old router.
The key is using the correct /sharp blade in all your tools, it prevents the chipping and tear-out problems that come with cheap dull tools.
Oh and a good pair of clamps are always a big help.

I love digital photography so sharing my build photos is something I enjoy.

Gadget Man

Gadget Man,

Thank you for the tip on the Kreg Pocket Jig. Did you buy the "Master System?" It looks like a great tool system. My skill in terms of woodworking is seriously lacking but I am learning as I go thanks to my CT conversion. Metal, on the other hand, is something I have worked with most of my life. I find it much more forgiving than wood i.e., it takes a lot more effort (using basic/rudimentary hand tools) to screwup a metal fabrication effort.

I have most of the basic woodworking tools you describe; chop saw and cheap table saw but no router. When you talk about a using the "correct/sharp blade" in the chop saw and table saw can you suggest any specific blade brands you might recommend? I have had a heck of a time getting a clean cut on my oak plywood.

Also, since you admit you're a digital photography enthusiast care to share what camera you use for your build pics? Not that it really matters because a good photographer can use any camera to make great photos but I am sort of a camera junkie so like to know the details behind the shot. The bulk of my thread pics were shot with an Olympus m4/3rds Pen camera but I also use a Canon 5D and, of late, a Pentax Q.

Thanks for all your help.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions