6x14-V Featherlite Horse Trailer Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x14-V Featherlite Horse Trailer Conversion

Postby Hiflyer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:41 pm

another summer, more progress is made

A buddy and I had installed the Dickinson Newport P-12000 (old model from a few years ago rated to 9500 BTU's) a couple months ago but apparently didn't post pix. Worked awesome for some early season backcountry mountain camping :)

Now that summer is here I decided to work with some Ikea shelves. We already use them as dressers at home (with baskets in) and seemed like maximum storage for minimum space

more to come this week :)
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:06 am

Glad to see you had a nice summer camping! I really like your heater and the use of Ikea furniture.

If/when I get to do a CTC, I plan on using a considerable amount of Ikea items.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Rainier70 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Love the heater.

Nice shelf system too. How do you plan on keeping the bins in on rough roads?
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hiflyer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:17 am

Rainier70 wrote:Love the heater.

Nice shelf system too. How do you plan on keeping the bins in on rough roads?

Thanks to you both :)

I ended up just stringing across the fronts to screws on each end. Worked perfectly and easily done and undone.

I still need to fasten them to the walls but I have pix to go from & should be easy to tie them in to structure
Last edited by Hiflyer on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby akula1 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:54 pm

I apologize, I must have missed it. I love your wall finishing. What is it, and was it cost effective as compared to other wall coverings?

Thank you,
John
akula1
Donating Member

Postby Hiflyer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:13 pm

akula1 wrote:I apologize, I must have missed it. I love your wall finishing. What is it, and was it cost effective as compared to other wall coverings?

Thank you,
John

It's 1/8" zebra wood plywood. A little more than standard 1/8 ply but works better with our subtle horse theme
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby Hiflyer » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:37 pm

New pic of the modular awning I did last year but forgot to take pix of

It's a MEC tarp, with 4 loops per side. Used 3/4 pvc pipe and fittings to build a frame to match and stretch it out.

It goes on the roof when camping for a length and overhangs the sides by a good 3' or so. It gets tied down to the trailer on the sides and to the ground on all 4 corners into big stakes.

It also helps hugely in keeping the trailer cool. I'm guessing it's good for 10-15 degrees difference :)

Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:23 am

Oooooohh,
I like that idea A LOT! Can 1 person assemble and install? Also, approx. cost of materials? How long to set up?
Now you have got the wheels a turnin' ... :applause:
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Hiflyer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:50 pm

McDave wrote:Oooooohh,
I like that idea A LOT! Can 1 person assemble and install? Also, approx. cost of materials? How long to set up?
Now you have got the wheels a turnin' ... :applause:

One person can setup. It takes 2 to get it up there I'd say. 3 makes it easy :)

Fittings from here:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page ... 58&p=67332

I used 3/4" but maybe would recommend 1". Definitely don't try 1/2". Waaaaay too small for the spans I'm doing

Nothing was glued for past two years but now when I rebuild it I will glue the main trusses but not the crosspieces / end gables

Another point is I am currently researching polyurethane foam as I want to spray the insides of the tubes for added rigidity. Think of a bone.
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby wanabxtrm » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:50 pm

-so I've stole your ideas on the unistrut bed, I ended up using gas struts vs ropes to offset the weight and it works fairly well, so thanks for the contribution! That said I get some binding between the bed frame and the vertical rail during movement if it flexes or one end is raised above the other. I'm curious if you physically have the bed frame attached to the vertical rail, or just have the supports it sits on attached.

Cheers.
wanabxtrm
Teardrop Master

Postby Hiflyer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:50 pm

wanabxtrm wrote:-so I've stole your ideas on the unistrut bed, I ended up using gas struts vs ropes to offset the weight and it works fairly well, so thanks for the contribution! That said I get some binding between the bed frame and the vertical rail during movement if it flexes or one end is raised above the other. I'm curious if you physically have the bed frame attached to the vertical rail, or just have the supports it sits on attached.

Cheers.

The bed is a floating frame that just sits on the 4 support brackets

I use Allen key bolts that are round and slot right into the unistrut bracket holes "locking" it into place

I also run 3 runners between the sides to support the plywood / mattress. 2 wasn't enough

i also tied in the plywood via the 4 eyelets thru the plywood and unistrut - one on each corner

Got any pics of your setup?
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby wanabxtrm » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:24 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (24.71 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
I think I have mine worked out but still have some binding issues if they get out of alignment. In the end I over estimated the bed weight so I need to physically pull it down vice pushing it up. Extended I can walk underneath. Compressed I can sit under, and still have enough space overhead to lie in it. Haven't camped in it yet (still under construction) but if the range of motion proves to small I'll double up the struts by tiring them end to end to double the range of motion.
wanabxtrm
Teardrop Master

Postby Hiflyer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:24 am

wanabxtrm wrote:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I think I have mine worked out but still have some binding issues if they get out of alignment. In the end I over estimated the bed weight so I need to physically pull it down vice pushing it up. Extended I can walk underneath. Compressed I can sit under, and still have enough space overhead to lie in it. Haven't camped in it yet (still under construction) but if the range of motion proves to small I'll double up the struts by tiring them end to end to double the range of motion.

Looks good - very well done :)
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions