CGRotorhead' 6x10 base camp build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: CGRotorhead' 6x10 base camp build

Postby Padilen » Wed May 06, 2015 3:50 pm

CGRotorhead wrote:Thanks for the input everyone:thumbsup: :beer: I'm pretty sure I tried the square #2 right after I tried the torx bits and it wouldn't work. I seriously had no problems using the screw extractors though and would recommend them to anyone esle. Maybe I'll go look for a different brand of #2 square :thinking:

Yea I tried all mine too. Went to local RV dealer and he showed me a square and a screw. I stopped on my way home and got 2 new squares that worked perfect.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby CGRotorhead » Thu May 07, 2015 12:32 am

Cool I think I will have to do that then cause I do have a couple that are a little loose on front
   HE WHO LIVES WITHOUT DISCIPLINE, DIES WITHOUT HONOR.
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby CGRotorhead » Wed May 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Well theses should help me stop a little easier.
EBC Stage 3 kit:
Green stuff pads
Dimple and slotted rotors
Extended brake lines for the rear
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby CGRotorhead » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:25 pm

So I won't be down to San Diego as early as I was supposed to be. The  ferry broke down in Whittier,AK before it could make it to me here on Kodiak, but let me tell you it totally fucked me. I was surprised at how little ALASKA marine highway company could cared and  how little they did to help us out.  So instead of leaving from Kodiak tomorrow for the relaxing 6 day cross golf to Bellingham WA, I am now leaving next saturday for Homer, AK. From there I will be doing the entire ALCAN now and on to San Diego pulling a 6x10 cargo trailer. I did get my truck ready for a 1100 mile drive but not a 3700+ mile drive that i will now be doing. So im going to get some last minute work done by Green Tree Fab in Anchorage, AK so I have a little piece of mind. My plan for the trip is as follows:
Ferry to homer
Homer to Anchorage (spend 2 days in anchorage and get some work done by GFT)
Anchorage to Tok
Tok to Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Whitehorse to Dawson Creek (that will be the longest day at like 16hrs)
Dawson Creek to Vancouver
Vancouver to Eugene,OR
Eugene to Sacramento CA
Sacramento to my moms house in Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach to my house in San Diego

Just did fresh oil and diff fluid changes, having GTF change out my worn Light Racing  uca bushings, cleaned air filter/throttle body,  put some newer tires on and upgraded my brakes to drilled and slotted rotors and green stuff pads from EBC. I also picked up an Alaska/Canada Milepost travel planner. I will be bringing four 5 gal gas cans for extra fuel, a couple extra quarts of oil, and I went and bought a height adjustable hitch to level out the trailer a little better.

I wish I had more notice because I would have added some Firestone ride right airbags and daystar craddles cause my rear sags pretty good with all that weight from the trailer. I still have 3" to my super bumps touch, but it would have been more piece of mind rather than necessity and it would push my rear up helping my front end not be so light.

I plan on doing the whole 3700+ mile trip including the one over night ferry to the mainland of alaska and the 2 days in Anchorage, AK in 11 days total. Pictures to follow once I get wifi and will be able to photo dump.
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:23 pm

CGRH, Howdy;

Might want to check on extra tires for both truck and trailer. I've
read about some folks needing more than one spare before they
could find a fix-it shop.
Ya might also want to clean-up the 3rd word second line down. Not
everyone here is a "crusty" sailor type. Understand your frustration,
try hitching from an Aircraft Carrier in the Bay at Naples, It. to
NAS Jacksonville, Fl. ..... Only took 3 days once I got it set-up.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CGRotorhead » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:09 am

I do have one full size spare for both the truck and trailer as well as a patch kit if needed
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby CGRotorhead » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:29 am

So I bit the bullet and bought some Firestone ride rite airbags and daystar cradles. More for a piece of mind for the upcoming trip. Here is a pic with the trailer fully loaded and I'm still going to be adding 20 gal of gas and a full ice chest of food and ice. They should help to smooth out the ride and level the truck back out while supporting the load.
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

CGRotorhead' 6x10 base camp build

Postby guardcompany » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Are you running stock Tacoma leaf springs?
guardcompany
Teardrop Builder

Postby Little R » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:12 pm

Some type of mudflaps on the back of your pick up would really help save the front of the trailer. I know from experience! :cry:
Little R
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CGRotorhead » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:43 pm

No I am running the two stock tacoma mains with two chevy ones under them for 1 1/2" of lift. But I think the Toyota mains are shot and sagging. They Chevys just add lift not carrying capacity which is good for offloading not towing, I'm going to upgrade to Old Man Emu packs when I get down there. I also have some Firestone RideRite air bags and Daystar cradles waiting for me at home once I get to california. I should have just gone with my gut and ordered them earlier :x but I thought I was going to be driving 1100miles not 3700+ that I am doing now. so I'm just going to take it slow and I should be good :worship: .

As for mud flaps I still have the stock rear

This is what it's looking like loaded up
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby guardcompany » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:42 pm

The stock toyota springs suck, mine only lasted about 2 years and then I bought a second set and those only lasted another year. I went with All Pro Offroad's Expedition springs. They are made to carry 400lb in the bed at all times, so it worked perfect with all my recovery gear in the bed. I matched those with some King 10'' and some custom hoops and it handles amazing offroad and when I'm towing my trailer I only see about an 1'' drop tongue weight and that even at max weight, really not even noticeable. Personally I would stay away from anything Old Man Emu, well unless you never go offroad.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/zp- ... ld.203140/
guardcompany
Teardrop Builder

Postby CGRotorhead » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:00 pm

guardcompany wrote:The stock toyota springs suck, mine only lasted about 2 years and then I bought a second set and those only lasted another year. I went with All Pro Offroad's Expedition springs. They are made to carry 400lb in the bed at all times, so it worked perfect with all my recovery gear in the bed. I matched those with some King 10'' and some custom hoops and it handles amazing offroad and when I'm towing my trailer I only see about an 1'' drop tongue weight and that even at max weight, really not even noticeable. Personally I would stay away from anything Old Man Emu, well unless you never go offroad.

Oh dang that's your build :thumbsup: I'm uscg2008 on tw. I was thinking about maybe some all pro standards since I normally don't have Rear plate bumper or much weight in the bed often paired with the bags. Right now I have a pair of old man Doug's packs that he makes with the Chevy leaves they have been good but I'm going to need something new now that I've the trailer and the Toyota mains have sagged more
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby CGRotorhead » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:15 pm

Teaser from the road. We are a little over 1850 miles into the trip, almost halfway there! Just went over 90k on the truck and have been averaging 11-12 mpg. Been trying to take it easy going through the mountains the highest temps on the tranny I've scene on my scanguage is 223* for about 2min while climbing through a pass at 4300 feet. I have been averaging about 170*
                                  
CGRotorhead
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:43 pm

Wow 11-12 MPG

I get 12- 13 on my 5.7 ltr Tundra, towing my 7,000 lbs 7 x 18' city or highway average, staying around 55 mph

I was thing you would get 18-20 MPG on yours

Cheers OTTCT
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby guardcompany » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:30 pm

CGRotorhead wrote:
guardcompany wrote:The stock toyota springs suck, mine only lasted about 2 years and then I bought a second set and those only lasted another year. I went with All Pro Offroad's Expedition springs. They are made to carry 400lb in the bed at all times, so it worked perfect with all my recovery gear in the bed. I matched those with some King 10'' and some custom hoops and it handles amazing offroad and when I'm towing my trailer I only see about an 1'' drop tongue weight and that even at max weight, really not even noticeable. Personally I would stay away from anything Old Man Emu, well unless you never go offroad.

Oh dang that's your build :thumbsup: I'm uscg2008 on tw. I was thinking about maybe some all pro standards since I normally don't have Rear plate bumper or much weight in the bed often paired with the bags. Right now I have a pair of old man Doug's packs that he makes with the Chevy leaves they have been good but I'm going to need something new now that I've the trailer and the Toyota mains have sagged more

Yeah you should be fine with the standard all pros if you have bags. I know those packs Doug makes, they are popular for a budget solution but as you know the weak link is the toyota springs.
guardcompany
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions