Haulmark type cargo trailer as a shell

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby toyota_mdt_tech » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:10 am

elmo wrote:Hopefully you aren't getting too overwhelmed. If I would of know you would of gotten that busy I would of asked if it was alright first! Sorry...I owe you a beer.

Elmer

Elmo, no problem. I'm having fun! Heck, now i"m looking around in here for more ideas now. See what you started. I told the wife I was done spending $$$ on this, but maybe...just one more... :thumbsup:
American Tragedys
12/07/1941 * 09/11/2001 * 11/04/2008
toyota_mdt_tech
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brian_bp » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:28 pm

S10CHEVY wrote:U-Haul has on their site, used ones for sale. After a time they replace older, or damaged trailors with new ones, and sell the ones they are replacing on their web site. It might be worth checking out.

That's an interesting possibility, but I would be concerned about three things:

- I've seen U-Haul trailers which are still being rented; by the time U-Haul thinks a trailer is worn out, it must be pretty bad

- U-Haul cargo trailers are probably built for much higher loads than required as a small travel trailer, and are thus likely quite heavy

- U-Haul has used some deliberately unusual components (mostly hubs and wheels), allegedly to reduce theft; that can make later restoration and maintenance more expensive and difficult than necessary.

I notice that U-Haul did make and rent moulded fiberglass travel trailers, but got out of that business years ago. The trailers are still out there, with some very enthusiastic owners. Too bad they're not available from U-Haul as retired units any more.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby toyota_mdt_tech » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:02 pm

brian_bp wrote:I notice that U-Haul did make and rent moulded fiberglass travel trailers, but got out of that business years ago. The trailers are still out there, with some very enthusiastic owners. Too bad they're not available from U-Haul as retired units any more.

Brian, I actually rented one of those way back in the early 90's. A buddy and myself rented one for deer seaon on the other side of the state. It was comfy. Not a bad rig. There is a company that makes the ones that look identical to the U-Haul ones. Not sure if this was the same vendor that built them for U-Haul. You are right about U-Haul having everything unique or marked. Even the tires on it had the famous U-Haul logo molded right into the tire.
American Tragedys
12/07/1941 * 09/11/2001 * 11/04/2008
toyota_mdt_tech
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brian_bp » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:46 pm

Another thing about U-Hauls: if the trailer is heavy enough (based on loaded rating) that they think it needs brakes (meaning over one ton is my guess), they are equipped with hydraulic surge brakes. Lighter cargo trailers have no brakes at all. The surge brakes might be a good feature (if you like them), or not, but should be considered. The lack of brakes on a "smaller" trailer could be an issue, since those of us looking for a very light travel trailer probably have a light tow vehicle.

toyota_mdt_tech wrote:...Brian, I actually rented one of those way back in the early 90's. A buddy and myself rented one for deer seaon on the other side of the state. It was comfy. Not a bad rig. There is a company that makes the ones that look identical to the U-Haul ones. Not sure if this was the same vendor that built them for U-Haul...

That would be Burro, who are no longer in business. I do not think there was any connection - just the common practice of copying a body design (and not the frame design). U-Haul apparently made the travel trailers themselves.

toyota_mdt_tech wrote:...You are right about U-Haul having everything unique or marked. Even the tires on it had the famous U-Haul logo molded right into the tire.

... and stamped into the wheel, and in the case of the travel trailers, moulded into cabinet doors. You don't forget that you're camping in a U-Haul!
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MikeDrz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:14 pm

Greetings... this link seems to be broken?

toyota_mdt_tech wrote:
Nytewyng wrote:Jim check this post for ideas http://home.ix.netcom.com/~ssauer40/cargomate.html

Wow, I'm humbled. This site is mine and the trailer was the one I built. I was flooded with members asking me questions, yet, had no idea where they were getting their info from o rwhere they heard of my trailer. I had it posted to another forum, but I would get PM's from that forum regarding questions. Now I'm getting emails. So now I guess I'm a member here also! :thumbsup:
Michael Drzewiecki
--------------------------------------------------------
Teardrop Dreamer - Cargo Converter

Click here to check out Cargo Conversions...its hip to be Square!!!

:)
MikeDrz
Donating Member

Postby Mook » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 pm

You're right. Toyota tech changed ISP's and the link went down. I did find where he put the page back up using his comcast account.

I found it by looking through another forum he frequents. The forum is www.thumpertalk.com (by the way, they have a section on that board that is chock full of trailers that guys have customized from cargo trailers).
The main thing to remember; is to keep the main thing, the main thing.
Mook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MikeDrz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:36 pm

Cool! do you have the link handy?

Mook wrote:You're right. Toyota tech changed ISP's and the link went down. I did find where he put the page back up using his comcast account.

I found it by looking through another forum he frequents. The forum is www.thumpertalk.com (by the way, they have a section on that board that is chock full of trailers that guys have customized from cargo trailers).
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

link

Postby prohandyman » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:46 pm

Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

cargos

Postby prohandyman » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:52 pm

Man
Some of these guys are dropping serious coin on their cargo conversions to haul their motorcycles in
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Re: cargos

Postby MikeDrz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:53 pm

I.was just thinking that as well.

prohandyman wrote:Man
Some of these guys are dropping serious coin on their cargo conversions to haul their motorcycles in
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions