Haulmark type cargo trailer as a shell

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Haulmark type cargo trailer as a shell

Postby jimqpublic » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:08 pm

If I didn't already have a trailer I'd want to start camping right away.
If I didn't live in a mild climate and/or have a garage for storage I'd want something that could be left outdoors for years without worry.
I'm afraid of the amount of work required for finish carpentry so the idea of someone else making cabinets is appealing.
After renting a U-haul cargo trailer last week I realized how I miss my pickup but the trailer was even better for hauling a dining room set.

Where is all this rambling going? To a non-teardrop shaped TTT that would be affordable, quick to get camping, and versitile. Zero issues with weatherproofing, hatch seals, etc. As fancy or simple as you want inside.

It starts with a 5'x 8' or 10' utility trailer. They cost about $3,000 for a top quality base model around here but the prices go up as you add options. Almost new but used on Craigslist I've seen them for about half that. Stock ceiling heights are usually about 60" with an 18" deck and 81" overall height for garagability in a standard 7' door. From looking at various models from Wells Cargo, Haulmark, Hiway Cargo etc they apear as aerodynamic as possible for a basic box.

These trailers are available in even foot width increments. If you want to sleep crosswise the 6' wide version gives 69" between the interior paneling. If you eliminate the paneling in the bed area and use thin foam for insulation glued to the aluminum sidewalls you could get 71" clear. Otherwise you need to go 7' wide for crosswise sleeping or plan on sleeping lengthwise, in which case it makes more sense to go back to the 5' width if you're towing with a car.

If ordering new you can get all sorts of options like different roof heights, RV style side doors & windows, insulation packages, etc. Prices are fairly reasonable for these upgrades. I tried pricing out a Haulmark Cub 5x10 with dual rear doors, 6' headroom, full insulation, RV side door with window & screen door, roof vent, some aluminum tread plate goodies like stone guard and side panels, three 29"x26" radius torque RV windows and electric brakes for about $4600.

You could throw your mattress and camping gear in and head out right away. Then as time permits you could finish out the interior.

With a side door for bedroom access you could do a full teardrop style rear kitchen and even include cabinets on the rear doors. Cabinets could be had from Home Depot or a custom cabinet shop.

I trust these cargo trailers to stand the test of time a lot better than typical RV's. Although not as cute as a TD, the look appeals to me better than a conventional RV. They offer drop floor areas or if buying used you could retrofit. With some creativity I could get one with 67" interior headroom that would fit under my 89" garage door then do a dropped floor area to get standing headroom. Keeping it small enough you would still get that "you sleep in that!?" response from the big RV crowd.

The base trailer for a 5x10 weighs about 1000 pounds. Obviously options and interior appointments add up- I think it would be reasonable to end up with 1500 pounds before adding your gear.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby rasp » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:25 pm

i have seen several that have been converted to campers.
Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking
rasp
Teardrop Master

Postby jimqpublic » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:20 pm

Haulmark actually offers a toyhauler type package that they call the "Escape Package". The advantage is the trailer isn't huge & tacky looking like most toyhaulers. Price is over $8,000 for the package.

I think $3,000 to $4,500 is reasonable for the cargo trailers but no way is the interior worth $8,000 to me. Of course it does include lots of expensive RV components.

http://www.trailersforless.com/escape_trailer.html

It's good to see how they've done it though. Gives some ideas.
Jim
2 kids and a Dear Wife
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby jimqpublic » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:48 pm

I did it again- got carried away. TINY TRAVEL TRAILERS. Okay 5x8 or 10. Not 6x12. sounds reasonable on paper but in person that's too big behind a car if you're doing a lot of miles. That extra foot of width behind my narrow car would add a lot of drag.

I rented a 5x8 Uhaul last Saturday and put 750 miles on it. Mileage behind our Subaru Forester XT was 17.5 at a pretty steady 64 mph. It towed fine with just a couple hundred pounds in it. According to Uhaul it was 900 pounds empty. Hills seemed like nothing compared to our normal camping load with four in the car and 2400 pounds in tow. The same type of trip with the camping trailer would probably result in the same or 1 mpg worse, without towing it would be about 24 mpg.

The Uhaul had a LONG tongue and with fairly high ground clearance the top was probably close to 7' high. Other than the garage issue I think once you're at 5' of box height you might as well make it standing height- either with a higher roof, dropped footwell, or both.
Jim
2 kids and a Dear Wife
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby Nytewyng » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:00 pm

Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby rudyfalcon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:29 pm

Saw this the other night on ebay.
rudyfalcon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cwm » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:53 pm

I have been thinking for a while that it might be cool to take a 5x8 cargo trailer, remove the rear doors, and make a slideout bedroom in the back. With a slide out you would have plent of room for a kitchen, toilet, and shower. If I could make it fit the budget I would try it.
cwm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Marck » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 pm

Okay 5x8 or 10. Not 6x12

Hold yer horses there son.....the 6-pack measures exactly 6X12 and is most definatly a teardrop 8) ;) :thumbsup:
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Danzer Trailer 6x10

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:12 pm

Check out my set up. It is a 6x10 and a queen size bed, (the one seen is only set up for twin, I removed part of the bed for transporting displays I was doing that weekend in Somerset, Pa.) added electric for heat and toaster, as well as lights. A porta potty that is on a heavy duty drwer glide that slides beneath the bed. A small counter is in the front and I want to eventually add water with a sink. I also added a 20" tv screen which includes a DVD player. Wife went with me on two trips and actually suggested some ideas for trips next year. She even said she likes sleeping in the trailer.

Wife happy! You're happy!

Last edited by southpennrailroad on Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Re: Danzer Trailer 6x10

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:15 pm

Do you have some inside photos of your setup?

Mike...

southpennrailroad wrote:Check out my set up. It is a 6x10 and a queen size bed, added electric for heat and toaster, as well as lights. A small counter is in the front and I want to eventually add water with a sink. I also added a 20" tv screen which includes a DVD player.

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:18 pm

Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby toyota_mdt_tech » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:44 pm

Nytewyng wrote:Jim check this post for ideas http://home.ix.netcom.com/~ssauer40/cargomate.html

Wow, I'm humbled. This site is mine and the trailer was the one I built. I was flooded with members asking me questions, yet, had no idea where they were getting their info from o rwhere they heard of my trailer. I had it posted to another forum, but I would get PM's from that forum regarding questions. Now I'm getting emails. So now I guess I'm a member here also! :thumbsup:
American Tragedys
12/07/1941 * 09/11/2001 * 11/04/2008
toyota_mdt_tech
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:10 am

toyota_mdt_tech wrote:
Nytewyng wrote:Jim check this post for ideas http://home.ix.netcom.com/~ssauer40/cargomate.html

Wow, I'm humbled. This site is mine and the trailer was the one I built. I was flooded with members asking me questions, yet, had no idea where they were getting their info from o rwhere they heard of my trailer. I had it posted to another forum, but I would get PM's from that forum regarding questions. Now I'm getting emails. So now I guess I'm a member here also! :thumbsup:

Hi NRA,

Welcome to the forum. Neat job you did on the trailer. Lots of great ideas there. Thanks for sharing.

Mike....
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby elmo » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:04 am

toyota_mdt_tech wrote:

Hopefully you aren't getting too overwhelmed. If I would of know you would of gotten that busy I would of asked if it was alright first! Sorry...I owe you a beer.

Elmer
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby S10CHEVY » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:56 pm

U-Haul has on their site, used ones for sale. After a time they replace older, or damaged trailors with new ones, and sell the ones they are replacing on their web site. It might be worth checking out.
S10CHEVY
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions