Journey V-Nose 5x10 Toy Hauler / TTT

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Journey V-Nose 5x10 Toy Hauler / TTT

Postby MikeDrz » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm

Greetings!

I am going trailer shopping this weekend.. the front runner is a Pace American 5x10 with a V-Front. I would be interested in what other people have done converting the cargo trailers..

Pics will be posted as progress is made..
Last edited by MikeDrz on Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Drzewiecki
--------------------------------------------------------
Teardrop Dreamer - Cargo Converter

Click here to check out Cargo Conversions...its hip to be Square!!!

:)
MikeDrz
Donating Member

Postby Trackstriper » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 pm

I've also toyed with the same idea for a while now. Have you looked at Wells Cargo? Their Wells Cargo line has a 5' wide v-nose cargo trailer called a Service Wagon. This is a nice, high quality cargo trailer. One step down is the Road Force which also has a 5' wide v-nose that can be built 10' long. Minor differences between the two lines. I was impressed with the V shaped cap on the front, fiberglass as I recall and somewhat translucent so light will come through. Both trailers are nicely done. The only v-nosed Pace trailers that I have seen have a square top edge between the sidewalls and the roof. Which model Pace were you looking at?
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby MikeDrz » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:21 am

I was leaning towards the Pace as the dealer is local. The model I am going to look at is Journey.

http://paceamerican.com/trailers/journey/

I did check out the Wells Cargo website

http://www.wellscargo.com

Not sure where a local dealer is as you have to fill out a form, which I did.

They do look like nice trailers though.
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

Postby Trackstriper » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:04 am

Think I've got a rough idea about what you want to do from looking at previous posts. Not a bad idea and a lot less work.

About four years ago I bought a standard-front Pace Cargosport 6x12 (model CS612SA) to build into a camper. I had them add 6" extra height so I could stand up in it, side door, 15"x30" windows in the sides, electric brakes, etc. It was a nice beginning, or so I thought. I have a full-sized van that is my work van/daily driver. The extra height got above the van's profile and I could really tell it was there when I pulled it around; I put maybe a hundred miles on it. Also, because the wheels/fenders are on the outside of the box it felt very "wide" (7'-9") behind my van. In reality it was no wider than the distance across my side mirrors, but I was concerned about having to pay a lot of attention to lane discipline while driving as all that width was behind me.

I also bought a small 4X6 Pace Journey that I still use for "overload" purposes if my van can't fit all my work stuff for a particular job. When towing this trailer I don't even know that it's behind me, even with 1000# of extra cargo. I can't see it in my side mirrors, so I have to wag it once in a while to be sure that it's still there. All this to say that the frontal area, shape, and hiding in the profile of the tow vehicle can make a huge difference. The loaded 4x6 was heavier than the empty 6x12 so weight was not the issue. That was my lesson learned and I sold the trailer to my brother who uses it today, it is a fine trailer, I just didn't like pulling it.

Next, following Andrew's discussions about aero drag, the v-nose may not be all that it's cracked up to be, but it has got to help a bit (I also would go that direction.) There is an issue with the sharp transition between the sidewalls and the front walls. Having rounded edges between the roof and sidewalls will help, though. Planning the interior space utilization with a v-nose is a little tricky, I've played with it in CAD in the past.

I would suggest towing an empty cargo trailer (or two) around so you know what it will be like, pull it at highway speed. Give it a test drive, like buying a car. I didn't and it cost me a grand to learn this lesson. Be sure you know what it feels like and see if it will work for you. The weight you'll likely put in it won't be much of a factor except for braking. You might consider electric brakes, depending on your tow vehicle.

This aero drag issue might not be an issue for you if your trips are short distance. I have to travel a lot and tend to think in terms of "what will it be like to pull this trailer 300 miles, or 800 miles?"

Now for some details for you to think about. The Pace Journey trailer you are looking at will have a spring axle unless you go to the Journey Plus model. The axle will probably be a 3500# beam with 3000# or 3500# springs. The trailer capacity is somewhat derated to 2990# to get by with many states requiring brakes at 3000# GVWR. The point here is that you probably won't be putting much weight in the trailer and it may tend to be oversprung for you loading and have a rather harsh ride. The Wells Cargo axle is a 2000# Dexter Torflex and will probably give you a smoother ride. The Pace might be able to be ordered with a down-rated axle. I know they had a 2500# Torflex in their 5x8 several years ago...I could not get that axle in the 6 foot wide trailer though. Notice the cargo handling capacities of the different trailers. For resale, or as a multi-purpose trailer, the higher capacity will be helpful, but not necessary good to baby your Cannondale while you own the trailer.

Do you need a side door? I had a side door with an RV latch system, plus the stock locking bar setup. This would be good for storage security, but I was concerned that someone could lock me inside and planned to have a way to lock that bar in a neutral position when I was "camping." I would think that you could modify the latching system of the right rear door to provide all the access you need. Build a galley inside the left door, there is plenty of vertical height.

By the way, how long is your tandem bike? How many people to sleep in the trailer, seemed like there was mention of kids' bikes too? Would your bike fit in my current design (see my album.) This tiny travel trailer is designed to fit behind my van and is a 6x10 body with a drop floor in the rear, interior galley, porta-potti in shower, closet, AC, etc. with enough headroom in galley for my 5'-5" wife, stooping height for me. Guys are tough. This will be an ambitious build so I am presently counting the cost.

Hope your shopping goes well.
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby MikeDrz » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:19 pm

Wow... Thank you for the insightful post!

I think I need the 'plus' based on your thoughts..

As for the side door, Pace only uses the Cam lock bar setup on the Rear.

the stock door can be opened from both sides.

there is an "RV" door option I am considering.

http://www.paceamerican.com/media/options/Doors.jpg

I think that just adds a window in the door though, looks like same latch.

Here is the spec sheet on the 5x10 Pace Vnose

http://www.paceamerican.com/media/PDF/generated/JV510SA.pdf

I will have to get the measurements to be sure, but our Saturn Relay blocks a lot of wind.

The tandem is right around 8' long -- I'll measure that again as well.

[url][/url]
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

Cargo conversions

Postby prohandyman » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Mike
I installed a rv latch on my cargo, with just a little difficulty. My door thickness is shy by about 1/4", but I can build that up with a wall panel. The framing around the door was a liitle tough to cut into for the latch to strike thru. And I plan to remove the cam bar altogether and fill the holes. I also would like to put rv latches in the rear door.
I only wish it were 10 ft long, as the cabin will be snug. Good thing the wifey and I still like each other. I am trying to calculate weight so I know if I need to move the axle or not. It seems a little forward. This pic still has the cam bar attached.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

It's ordered!

Postby MikeDrz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:44 pm

Its ordered!

Journey V-Nose 5x10

Options:

Roof Vent

32" Side Door with Flush RV style latch

Dome Light

Dome light Switch

Double Rear Doors 'Barn door' style

Spare Tire

Plus Package.. which includes :

Dexter ITS torsion axle

EZ Lube Hubs

3/4" Plywood Floor

last but not least... Color!

Hemmed and hawwed on this, so decided to go for a 'fun' color.

So.. its YELLOW. :)

just like Mr. Smiley here :thumbsup:
Last edited by MikeDrz on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

Postby Gerdo » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:50 pm

Pictures when you get it!
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MikeDrz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:09 pm

I Plan to Gerdo.... but 6 - 8 weeks for delivery! :cry:

Gerdo wrote:Pictures when you get it!
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

Re: Cargo conversions

Postby MikeDrz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:49 pm

How about the windows? I think thats going to be on my short list

prohandyman wrote:Mike
I installed a rv latch on my cargo, with just a little difficulty. My door thickness is shy by about 1/4", but I can build that up with a wall panel. The framing around the door was a liitle tough to cut into for the latch to strike thru. And I plan to remove the cam bar altogether and fill the holes. I also would like to put rv latches in the rear door.
I only wish it were 10 ft long, as the cabin will be snug. Good thing the wifey and I still like each other. I am trying to calculate weight so I know if I need to move the axle or not. It seems a little forward. This pic still has the cam bar attached.
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

windows

Postby prohandyman » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:58 pm

Mike
These windows came from an rv surplus dealer in Indiana. They were $20 each, not bad , virtually new condition, with interior trim
Dan
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Re: windows

Postby MikeDrz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:10 pm

Good deal... no issues putting them in?

prohandyman wrote:Mike
These windows came from an rv surplus dealer in Indiana. They were $20 each, not bad , virtually new condition, with interior trim
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:00 pm

No issues, just made a template and started cutting with the ole jigsaw. It never ceases to amaze me the feeling you get when you are about to cut into something like this, though. Kind of eery! :worship: :worship:
Dan
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby luluyug » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:40 pm

anxieux to see how you are going to design the interior i saw one on a camping last year. the guy had the ramp door in the back. he put 4 jackstands on the ramp and had a custom screen room mad to open with the ramp that is were he has dinner the seats and table were fixed to the ramp. very cool :thumbsup: are you thinking of a front galley v shapped and a rear bed... how watertight are those rear doors... keep us posted please. bye
luluyug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MikeDrz » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:03 pm

Did you take Pics?

I did not get the ramp door, I figured the barn doors would be the easiest access. I have a picture in my mind of the top of the bar doors having an awning across the top when opened. or even a tent flap for a standing privacy area.

I am thinking of an galley in the back, but nothing firm yet.

once I get it in and start measuring/playing will know better.

will probably take it to camp this year as a shell, so i can see some other trailers for ideas.

luluyug wrote:anxieux to see how you are going to design the interior i saw one on a camping last year. the guy had the ramp door in the back. he put 4 jackstands on the ramp and had a custom screen room mad to open with the ramp that is were he has dinner the seats and table were fixed to the ramp. very cool :thumbsup: are you thinking of a front galley v shapped and a rear bed... how watertight are those rear doors... keep us posted please. bye
Last edited by MikeDrz on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions