Air Conditioner in Cargo Trailer Conversion?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Air Conditioner in Cargo Trailer Conversion?

Postby MikeDrz » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:32 am

Who's done it, and how did you do it?

Pictures helpful.
Michael Drzewiecki
--------------------------------------------------------
Teardrop Dreamer - Cargo Converter

Click here to check out Cargo Conversions...its hip to be Square!!!

:)
MikeDrz
Donating Member

Re: Air Conditioner in Cargo Trailer Conversion?

Postby southpennrailroad » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:27 pm

MikeDrz wrote:Who's done it, and how did you do it?

Pictures helpful.

I found with only a screen door, that I was able to be in my trailer any time of the day and not be heated out by the summer heat. I just used the ceiling vent and a fan plugged in. I am not even considering an AC unit. My next install will be water addition to the inside. My wife always wanted to be in the sun but I always wanted the shade. Now that she went to be with the Lord I will be staying as much as possible in the shade under trees. See my avatar from last years trip to Harrisburg. This was her favorite site.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Air Conditioner

Postby JFJR55 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:11 pm

It is easy if you have a vent in the roof already. They fit in the same size hole as the vent. You should have double roof bows were the vent is if you are puting the A/C in. I have put them in with out double roof bows for customers. The only thing is with out the double roof bows the roof flexes up and down a little bit more. Have not in three years of installing them has anybody come back to me with a problem. Some trailers will come with bouble roof bows so A/C can be put in later. I work where we sell Halmark and Pace trailers. If you have no vent in roof you can cut a 14 1/4 " x 14 1/4" hole with a jigsaw. Draw it out on the roof from the inside, then drill the four corners with a drill dit a little larger then the blade on the jigsaw blade and cut. No putty to seal is needed. The A/C has a gasket made to the bottom. you have to be"VERY CAREFULY WHEN MOVING A/C SO NOT TO TEAR THE GASKET." We get our A/C from a local RV dealer.
JFJR55
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Air Conditioner

Postby MikeDrz » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:32 pm

I did order the trailer with the basic vent, so the 'hole' will be there.

not sure I want the profile of the unit on the roof though.

JFJR55 wrote:It is easy if you have a vent in the roof already. They fit in the same size hole as the vent. You should have double roof bows were the vent is if you are puting the A/C in. I have put them in with out double roof bows for customers. The only thing is with out the double roof bows the roof flexes up and down a little bit more. Have not in three years of installing them has anybody come back to me with a problem. Some trailers will come with bouble roof bows so A/C can be put in later. I work where we sell Halmark and Pace trailers. If you have no vent in roof you can cut a 14 1/4 " x 14 1/4" hole with a jigsaw. Draw it out on the roof from the inside, then drill the four corners with a drill dit a little larger then the blade on the jigsaw blade and cut. No putty to seal is needed. The A/C has a gasket made to the bottom. you have to be"VERY CAREFULY WHEN MOVING A/C SO NOT TO TEAR THE GASKET." We get our A/C from a local RV dealer.
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

Re: Air Conditioner in Cargo Trailer Conversion?

Postby MikeDrz » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:38 pm

SPR... sorry for your loss.

You make a good point, I was thinking of getting a ez-up awning to cover the trailer & give a shaded area next to it to relax.. that may be enough.

southpennrailroad wrote:
MikeDrz wrote:Who's done it, and how did you do it?

Pictures helpful.

I found with only a screen door, that I was able to be in my trailer any time of the day and not be heated out by the summer heat. I just used the ceiling vent and a fan plugged in. I am not even considering an AC unit. My next install will be water addition to the inside. My wife always wanted to be in the sun but I always wanted the shade. Now that she went to be with the Lord I will be staying as much as possible in the shade under trees. See my avatar from last years trip to Harrisburg. This was her favorite site.
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

Postby MikeDrz » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:25 pm

Ok.. did a bit of surfing on the internet, and saw that these units can be used for heat as well. Since that plays into the K.I.S.S. rule, any idea what size (btu) I should get? I would like one with a residental style thermostat on the wall, do they make them like that?

JFJR55 wrote:It is easy if you have a vent in the roof already. They fit in the same size hole as the vent. You should have double roof bows were the vent is if you are puting the A/C in. I have put them in with out double roof bows for customers. The only thing is with out the double roof bows the roof flexes up and down a little bit more. Have not in three years of installing them has anybody come back to me with a problem. Some trailers will come with bouble roof bows so A/C can be put in later. I work where we sell Halmark and Pace trailers. If you have no vent in roof you can cut a 14 1/4 " x 14 1/4" hole with a jigsaw. Draw it out on the roof from the inside, then drill the four corners with a drill dit a little larger then the blade on the jigsaw blade and cut. No putty to seal is needed. The A/C has a gasket made to the bottom. you have to be"VERY CAREFULY WHEN MOVING A/C SO NOT TO TEAR THE GASKET." We get our A/C from a local RV dealer.
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

Postby JFJR55 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:35 pm

I have never done that with the thermostat but I am sure it can be done. I would get the smallest unit you can find. We ask the customer what size they won't. I know when I test them they get cold fast. The heat part is a add on, they clamp on in side and plug in. control is there for heat most of the time.
JFJR55
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MikeDrz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:37 am

Thanks... i'll keep searching... I just hate the thought of no themostat on this. with such a small airspace, rapid changes in temp ( either direction ) would be possible.

JFJR55 wrote:I have never done that with the thermostat but I am sure it can be done. I would get the smallest unit you can find. We ask the customer what size they won't. I know when I test them they get cold fast. The heat part is a add on, they clamp on in side and plug in. control is there for heat most of the time.
Michael Drzewiecki

MikeDrz
Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:34 am

I ran into this cargo hauler conversion while looking into information on
the Honda EU2000i Generator.

This link might help someone doing a conversion as it seems well
documented and Rick who made it is responsive @ his email addy as well.

16'x7' conversion with pictures
http://home.comcast.net/~ssauer40/cargo ... omate.html

A/C Unit used in the conversion
Low Profile RV Air Conditioner-
7700 Btuh Coleman Polar Cub ....

Fits a 14" fan hole with the upper unit and ceiling assembly:
http://tinyurl.com/2pd3j
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Arne » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:52 am

Boy, that is a heck of a conversion... I guess if I had a heavy hauler, I would think differently... would be great to have a bed AND a recliner, but I digress.

For years, I thought I would like to have an r/v, but initial cost, taxes, sitting unused for many months at a time, just turned me off..

Two days after I first 'found' tear drop trailers on the net, and then this forum, I was ordering parts.... 4-5 weeks later, I had it done.. and headed of on a 5,000 mile trip (planned well before the t/d build and the reason for the rush)...

Anyway, every once in a while, I start to think bigger and still wind up back at a t/d as being what I can afford and really need.

Ergo, the pet cool (after the 5,000btu mounted in the front wall, I wanted it outside) and maybe the 2,000 honda generator....

Still want something I can tow with m current minivan, and something that won't bother me if it just sits there unused for a few months..

Excuse the rambling thoughts, but, hey it is Sat a.m., and I've yet to get my butt in gear.. think I'll pay a few bills, then head out and do a bit of work on the new tear, aero-1 (aka, Mrs. C)
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby brian_bp » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:01 pm

Heating and cooling in one unit can be one of two things:

A normal air conditioner with a "heat strip", which is just a resistance heating element like any electric heater, added in to use the A/C unit's fan. This is what JFJR55 described.

A heat pump, which is an air conditioner which can be reversed to pump heat into the interior from the outside. Works great unless it is too cool or damp outside, and when it works it is more efficient than actually making the heat by just putting electricity through a resistor. Airstream trailers come with heat pumps, and many houses use them in moderate climates.

If you can get enough heat on available power with a heat strip, that's certainly the cheaper and simpler way to go, although I find it painful to suggest a less efficient option...
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby johnm_10 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:55 pm

MikeDrz wrote:Ok.. did a bit of surfing on the internet, and saw that these units can be used for heat as well. Since that plays into the K.I.S.S. rule, any idea what size (btu) I should get? I would like one with a residental style thermostat on the wall, do they make them like that?

If you find a unit with a seperate thermostat, make sure you don't put it right on an outside wall. Often times the outside walls will not be the same temp as the air inside the trailer, and it will confuse the thermostat and you to no end :)
johnm_10
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions