Conversion of my Blair Cargo trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Kankujoe » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:40 pm

packerz4 wrote:i think insulating will help if the heat issue is daytime: i.e. when sun is pounding the roof.

the thing about the roof vents is hot air rises, and you'd be releasing it out the top.

i find that my 12v fantastic fan does a great job pulling fresh air in from my windows and venting the heat out the top.

if you don't want to place a hole in the roof, maybe some of walmarts cheap $14 battery powered fans could get your air moving enough to make it comfy? place one facing out the window or door, and one facing at you. trick is to get the trailer "breathing"/exchanging air.

at least that's the way i see it.

tk

:)

Thanks for the info.

About the Wally-World fans... I have two of the black DC powered clip-on types. They do help but they are so noisy & they only have one speed... I can't seem to take the noise pitch for more than a few minutes at a time.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:07 am

Wally world's O2Kool fan is great 12v dc , 120 v ac and has it's own battery pack. Runs quiet has 2 speeds. About $38 and worth every penny in my book.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kankujoe » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:37 pm

bobhenry wrote:Wally world's O2Kool fan is great 12v dc , 120 v ac and has it's own battery pack. Runs quiet has 2 speeds. About $38 and worth every penny in my book.

Thanks for the info. I give one a try.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby brian_bp » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:56 pm

I don't have specs for the type of fans used in computers, but I doubt the ones people are adapting to trailers flow anywhere near as much air as the RV ceiling vent fans.

For the RV vents, see the MaxxFan or Fantastic Vent products spec pages.

For instance,

MaxxFan:
Provides over 900 CFM of airflow on High using 4.4 amps, 730 CFM at 2.5 amps and 500 CFM on Low at 1.4 amps

Fan-Tastic Vent (all models)
Code: Select all
       SCFM   AMP DECIBELS
High    920  3.00   40
Medium  653  2.29   39
Low     478  1.86   39
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kankujoe » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:54 pm

brian_bp wrote:I don't have specs for the type of fans used in computers, but I doubt the ones people are adapting to trailers flow anywhere near as much air as the RV ceiling vent fans.

For the RV vents, see the MaxxFan or Fantastic Vent products spec pages.

For instance,

MaxxFan:
Provides over 900 CFM of airflow on High using 4.4 amps, 730 CFM at 2.5 amps and 500 CFM on Low at 1.4 amps

Fan-Tastic Vent (all models)
Code: Select all
       SCFM   AMP DECIBELS
High    920  3.00   40
Medium  653  2.29   39
Low     478  1.86   39

Thanks Brian! The info you posted is just what I'm looking for. Now to find the best source to buy one of these and to figure out the best way to install it with the least weakening of my thin fiberglass roof...
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:34 pm

Decisions - decisions....

There are several brands & models of RV ceiling fans & vents...

Do I need one that reverses? Is a variable speed better than a 3 speed? High profile or low profile? Standard dome or flat dome? MaxxFan? Ventline? SHURflo? Fantastic Vent? Where do I buy? Or should I buy an elCheapo off of eBay?
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby asianflava » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:04 am

When I bought my Fantastic Fan from Scott he stepped me thru the process. I'm pretty shure all the Fantastic fans reverse, I got the cheapest one and it does.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:04 pm

Fantastic Vent likes to sell a bunch of different models, while MaxxAir just sells the one with all the features (other than remote control).

The Fantastic Vent lets rain in when open, so they sell an automatic rain-sensing closer option. The MaxxFan has an integral hood which keeps rain out, so you just leave it open and running if you want. One of those is a complex contraption, and one makes sense to me... you guess which is which.

Okay, guessing over... I like my MaxxFan. If it never rains where you are, the Fantastic Vent products have a lower profile.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kankujoe » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:32 am

brian_bp wrote:Fantastic Vent likes to sell a bunch of different models, while MaxxAir just sells the one with all the features (other than remote control).

The Fantastic Vent lets rain in when open, so they sell an automatic rain-sensing closer option. The MaxxFan has an integral hood which keeps rain out, so you just leave it open and running if you want. One of those is a complex contraption, and one makes sense to me... you guess which is which.

Okay, guessing over... I like my MaxxFan. If it never rains where you are, the Fantastic Vent products have a lower profile.

I'm not sure why the need to run a fan when it is raining? Usually rain cools things down considerably and cracking the windows would likely provide enough ventilation. Am I missing something?
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby brian_bp » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:20 pm

Kankujoe wrote:I'm not sure why the need to run a fan when it is raining? Usually rain cools things down considerably and cracking the windows would likely provide enough ventilation. Am I missing something?

Humid = unpleasant, especially if it is hot and humid. Since being in the trailer adds humidity, bringing in outside air (even if it is just as hot) can help. This is more of an issue for travel trailers - with cooking and washing activities inside - than for a teardrops.

Also, the rain-hooded approach is just simpler. I would like to be able to leave the vent open when I am away from the trailer and not worry that the magic auto closer thing works when it has to in order to prevent water coming in. Less to go wrong is more reliable. Of course, if the weather never changes while you are away, this isn't an issue.
;)
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:42 pm

bobhenry wrote:Wally world's O2Kool fan is great 12v dc , 120 v ac and has it's own battery pack. Runs quiet has 2 speeds. About $38 and worth every penny in my book.

Picked up a few of these on clearance. One uses standard batteries for $7 and the other was the recharageable for $25. Both work great. Thanks for again for the info.
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:08 pm

I have decided on Ventline's Northern Breeze (V2501 $147) roof vent/fan. But since the weather is cooling somewhat I may put it off until next Spring/Summer.

Still trying to decide the best way to install a roof fan through 3/16" thick fiberglass that has strengthening corrigations every 10" which are 1.5" wide & 1" deep. It doesn't appear to be favorable for a nice water tight seal. Sure wish the fiberglass roof shell was completely flat or that the corrigation ribs were spaced farther apart. :thinking:
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:12 pm

Towed my TTT down to Table Rock SP, south of Branson, MO this past weekend. Had a great weekend of bicycling, kayaking & camping. The weather was wonderful. Broke in my new tow vehicle (2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/ 5.7L V8 Hemi). Just like my 2005 (now the Mrs' vehicle), I hardly knew it was behind me even up & down those Ozark hills.

I think I really need to figure out the installation for a roof vent/fan. It was comfortable for the most part but a few hours it was a little warm in the trailer. I thought that I could wait until next year for the fan but I really want to get this done... still just not sure how to overcome the roof corregations.
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:13 am

Haven't posted in this thread for quite some time... thought I would give it a bump...

Since last October I've reworked my hanging mesh cargo bags, bought several little camping do-dads to carry in my camper and I've made several weekend trips to the various State Parks in Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas & Oklahoma. With the fuel costs this past year I've made most of my trips closer to home.

I've also recently, upped my kayaking interest (buying both a new solo kayak & new tandem kayak) and have added kayaking to my cycling/camping adventures while lodging in my TTT/cargo conversion. If the Mrs is up for it, we take the tandem, if not, I use the solo.

I wish I had been more serious about the cargo conversion years ago since it gives me the best of both worlds. Teardrop like camping with room for more toys, all in a small low-maintenance package.

Back to my cargo conversion efforts... I still haven't gotten around to installing a roof fan/vent, nor have I finalized my 12V electrical system. Been too busy traveling to nail these down. I guess like teardrops, a cargo conversion/TTT isn't ever finished...
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:39 am

I just got back from a 3300 mile, 11 day trip with my TTT. I drove from Kansas City to Philadelphia for 3 days then down to Virginia (Williamsburg area) for 7 days, and back to Kansas City. This was a solo trip (my wife was busy working on her doctoral dissertation & needed alone time).

First night, western Ohio rest stop (14* cold, thank goodness for my 0* sleeping bag), next 3 nights indoors at my parent's house (20 miles outside of Philadelphia), then onto Williamsburg VA. Stayed at Cheatham Annex, US Military Campground & RV Park, Williamsburg, VA (satillite unit of Norfolk Naval Base/Yorktown Naval Weapons Base). It is a beautiful wooded RV park, campground & cabins on the York River located in the middle of the Colonial Historic Triangle (Yorktown, Williamsburg, Jamestown). I stayed here 6 nights while visiting Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown. Also visited Langley AFB, Fort Eustus Army Base & Norfolk Navy Base. Too much to see & do there, I wish I could have stayed another week.

Traveled back to Kansas City via I-64 (very mountainous through VA, WV & KY). Spent my last night at a Kentucky Flying-J truck stop.

A TTT is great for travel. Just pull over anywhere and you're home, no set up. I was pretty comfortable the whole trip even in the middle of winter. My electric heater got a work out (at the RV park) for an hour or so before bedtime & in the morning. The other two nights I stayed warm with my 0* sleeping bag.

I am now thinking about insulating my TTT walls & roof so that I can do more winter camping/travel.
Joe

Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions