6x10 cargo trailer conversion in progress

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

6x10 cargo trailer conversion in progress

Postby jtaltman » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:51 pm

Hi all again.
This is the third time I'm attempting to post pics in the message. I understand the concept but my itchy little finger keeps hitting the red X just as I'm about to post!!! :x

Ok I'm composed again. Deep breaths. :worship:
Here we go!
Jan

jtaltman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gerdo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:16 pm

Lookin good.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:17 pm

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup:

Hey that works great. Keep it up and get camping.

GitRdun :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Progress update

Postby jtaltman » Fri May 04, 2007 6:22 am

My computer died :( and I'm borrowing my son's old laptop to get on the internet, check mail etc. Until mine is fixed I'm without my regular programs.

Things are going smoothly on the camper though. I was able to cover the air mattresses. I hate the feel of the plastic so I took one full size bed sheet for each mattress and made an oversized pillow case for it. Out of the excess fabric I made two cushions for the side cabinets. I'm pleased with the results.

I also stained the walls with Oak stain. It made the inside look a bit more finished.

I've got to get the camper usable because we're going to give it a dry run on mother's day weekend. Just a quick trip to Indian Island in Riverhead. I'm looking forward to it.

I was delighted to see a quilt topic in this forum. As a quilter, I love the idea of a quilt made especially for the camper. I've got to get thinking on that idea. ( Pieced or applique? :roll: Oh!, if only my computer was working. I'm going through EQ5 withdrawal! LOL)

That's all for now.

Jan
jtaltman
Teardrop Inspector

Dry Run

Postby jtaltman » Tue May 15, 2007 9:04 am

Hi everyone,

We took the trailer out for an overnight trial run. It worked out fine. We had to get a little creative with the 9x12 tarp. I would like to have a better way of attaching it to the trailer. Bungee cords draped over the top and hooked to the underside worked but didn't seem very secure.

I had an interesting conversation with the county park attendant. She told me that cargo trailers, homemade trailers and any trailer that was not from an RV manufacturer would not be allowed to rent an electric site. We were dry camping so it didn't impact us this time, but it does concern me if we decide to put shore power in. Has anyone ran across this problem? How did you get around the restrictions?

I think the next thing we should be looking at installing is the windows and some sort of screen for the door.

I had plans for taking pictures but I got side tracked and never took them.
That's all for now.
Jan
jtaltman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dovaka » Tue May 15, 2007 9:43 am

i can say no one has ever told me that before but im sure there saying it because of safety they dont know if you wired every thing properly and there just covering them selves the only way around it i can think is to make it look factory and claim you bought it or just carry around a generator
i plan on building a small compartment in the tear for a generator just because we do alot of off grid camping
dovaka
The 300 Club

Postby jtaltman » Tue May 15, 2007 3:13 pm

That's an option that I hadn't thought about. It makes sense as I'd rather be in the no utilities section anyway. Usually there is more space, shade and views.

I'll have to do some investigating for a small generator. I like the idea. Thanks.
Jan
jtaltman
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Dry Run

Postby Gaelen » Tue May 15, 2007 4:25 pm

jtaltman wrote:I had an interesting conversation with the county park attendant. She told me that cargo trailers, homemade trailers and any trailer that was not from an RV manufacturer would not be allowed to rent an electric site. We were dry camping so it didn't impact us this time, but it does concern me if we decide to put shore power in. Has anyone ran across this problem? How did you get around the restrictions?

Hi, Jan...I've camped in several upstate NYS parks/state run campgrounds: Allegany, which straddles the NY/Penn border in the southern tier, Moffitt Beach in the West-Central Adirondacks, Taughannock Falls near Ithaca, Delta Lake near Rome and Sampson State Park on Seneca Lake. I've also camped in Brookfield, a NY DEC campground east of Norwich which doesn't have any electric. But I've never heard of any 'restrictions' about who can rent a powered site in a NY state managed campground. I don't have a teardrop or other trailer (yet), but I often rent an electric site while tent camping so that I can run lights outside the tent to exercise dogs, make coffee without a campfire first thing in the morning, run a crockpot, etc. I've also tent-camped in private and state run campgrounds in North Carolina, Virginia and Pennsylvania, and in Ontario, Canada while attending dog shows--and you can bet we rented electric sites to run the grooming equipment and the box fans to get the dogs ready for the ring and keep them cool.

Different regions may have different rules, but in the Central and Western Adirondack regions, and whatever region Allegany is in, if you can pay the fee and the electric spot is available, you can rent an electric site. I've never been refused unless the electric sites are all sold out, no matter whether I was in my tent or in a rented manufactured RV. I can't see why they'd willingly rent an electric site to a tent camper, but deny it to a non-manufactuered trailer. Heck, sometimes in Sampson people camp in converted two stall horse trailers, most of which do NOT have power right off the assembly line.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby jtaltman » Tue May 15, 2007 4:51 pm

Gaelen-
Thanks for the imput. It was good to hear that the parks in the ADK's allowed it. Next year we will be relocating to the NY north country and it would be a bonus to have electric if available.

Perhaps the gal was reacting to the recent trailer fire that took place. I don't know. What I will do is call the County parks office before attempting to rent an electric site to really find the "rule".

Jan
jtaltman
Teardrop Inspector

Welcome to litigious camping.

Postby Steve Nikkel » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:01 pm

In order to CTA, with their liability providers, for several years now private campgrounmds along the Sacto.River here in Nor. Cal have demanded an RVIA sticker---or you're not welcome in the Campground.....now you can go the Wally world, buy a pup tent or two and you're now welcome as a tent camper, just no sleeping in non-approved RV's......My altitude was screaming at about 500 ft------I was in an early Johnson Bros Silver eagle from pre sticker days. Same problem at the next 2 campgrounds. Said the Heck with it and drove all the way to Oregon and SURPRISINGLY had no problems. When kibitzing with the Oregon owner, he remarked"It's the Assn. recommendation to save our Insurance coverage. And He was going that way prior to his next renewal.
Steve Nikkel

I'm Draggin-----Draggin the Main once more
With a Peroxide Blonde in a hopped up model Ford.
(Brian Setzer)
Steve Nikkel
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions