This is great!!!!!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

This is great!!!!!

Postby 57speedster » Thu May 31, 2007 12:21 am

So I left this forum for a while because I was getting away from teardrops cause they don't fit my lifestyle. I started thinking about a 7x14 cargo toy hauler for my dualsport bikes and started drawing plans and adding up prices. Then T&TTT starts this topic. This is great! Thank's to you all! Wil :applause:
Dualsports, Adventure riding, and Street bikes. Get out and ride your 2 wheels.
www.my2wheels.com
57speedster
Teardrop Inspector

yup

Postby tba02 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:10 pm

Wil, I agree! I've been lurking on this board for a couple of years now. I've been using a 6x12 cargo trailer as a camper for almost three years quite comfortably. I drifted away from here for a bit and was also pleased to see this section emerge. As best I can tell it was around March.

Many of the TD and TTT innovations carry over quite well. I only wish I had the space I used to have to work on it. I live in the heart of San Francisco with no garage or driveway so it is sometimes tough.

Oh well, I should probaby move this ramble to the Intro section or start a new thread.

A long way of saying, I agree with ya!

--
grover

(I'll post some details and pictures soon)
--
grover
tba02
Teardrop Inspector

Re: This is great!!!!!

Postby Joanne » Thu May 31, 2007 10:44 pm

57speedster wrote:So I left this forum for a while because I was getting away from teardrops cause they don't fit my lifestyle. I started thinking about a 7x14 cargo toy hauler for my dualsport bikes and started drawing plans and adding up prices. Then T&TTT starts this topic. This is great! Thank's to you all! Wil :applause:

Hey, another Vegasite!

Just the other day I was trying to figure out how I could haul my KLR and my trailer... One of my riding buddies wants me to tow the "Dawg" with my SUV and he will tow the bikes with his truck. That way we can camp in style and ride too! Of course I think he want me to do some DO cooking so he can eat it.

I hope you do your build! My next door neighbor is trying to figure out how she can rebuild her 16' travel trailer so she can haul her quad like a toy hauler. Now that you mention it, she would have been better of doing a cargo conversion into a minature toy hauler.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Kankujoe » Thu May 31, 2007 11:28 pm

Wil,

I'm pretty new around here and I'm glad that there is a CargoConversion section on this forum. I don't have a TearDrop. I am in the process of converting my well used, 15 y/o, 5x10 cargo trailer into a TTT. I have learned quite a bit about turning my trailer into a small camper from reading posts here and looking through everyone's photo albums. Some of the teardrops are pretty incredible and are a treasure chest of good ideas that can easily be applied to my cargo-conversion. Someday I may build a true teardrop camper but for now my cargo trailer has lots of possibilities, in addition to standing & sitting room and lots more space for my toys and my quick overnight type camping. Another strength of a TTT is that I can be pretty much self-contained if I want and I don't have to "set up" camp for cooking, changing, eating, cleaning up or using a porta potty (in a pinch).

From what I've seen so far, most TearDrop campers (the people, not the trailers) also set up camp with additional shelters, changing booths, and everything else tent campers set up except for the tent.

Most of my "camping" involves getting somewhere to hike, bike or kayak. Quick set up, quick break down and not always at a "campground."

Initially, I came within hours of purchasing a slightly used small teardrop but someone else beat me to it. I'm glad they did because for my current needs my square box is doing just fine and as I continue my conversion it is getting better & better. Since I'm not radically changing it's over all structure (except for windows) I can remove everything to use it as a "cargo trailer" when needed and I can easily modify the internal build if better ideas come along.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Re: This is great!!!!!

Postby tba02 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:55 pm

Joanne wrote: Now that you mention it, she would have been better of doing a cargo conversion into a minature toy hauler.
Joanne

That is exactly what I did.

Yes, I am in SF, but and ex-desert rat from the Phoenix area. Quads and dirt bikes :)
--
grover
--
grover
tba02
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions