5x8 Pace Trailer conversion underway with one trip down

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

5x8 Pace Trailer conversion underway with one trip down

Postby Salivanto » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:49 pm

Hello again everybody.

I was active here about two years ago or so and got a lot of good advice. Here's what I've been up to.

I chickened out of my original plan of building a teardrop on an old trailer chasis I have and decided to convert a 5x8 box trailer which I bought new specifically for this purpose. I already owned two Camp-Inn door kits with windows, and I've got one side basically installed, but with some tweaking left to do. I also installed a roof vent (it did not come with one.) With the trailer set up like this, we threw a mattress (and some other camping gear) in the back and went camping for three nights.

I'm very pleased with how the project is going so far. I would have preferred a more "classic teardrop" look, but I can see that this is going to function very much like a teardrop would. I went for the smallest cargo trailer I could easily find, and although it's a little taller than I might have ended up with if I'd built from scratch, I'm happy with how it looks and how it tows. I'll post pictures when I can -- right now my home computer is down and I'm posting from the library computer.

Several people have mentioned the drag of the boxy trailer -- and I suppose that is a concern, but I'm curious how much of this concern is speculation and how much is based on real-world (or wind-tunnel) tests of actual rigs with different tow-vehicles. This trailer is more narrow than my van (and only slightly more boxy) -- I got about 16 mpg on this last trip. I don't know what I would have gotten without the trailer.

I would have mentioned before, but I have 3 small children who all want to be the first to sleep in the trailer. At some time I plan on getting them out into their own tents, but the trailer will include a bunk or two.

I'm sure I'll be back with questions, but I wanted to mention that I've started this project. The next step after finishing this door will be to shop for more windows. (I want 4 in total when I'm done - two in the door and two in the wall.) For doors, I used a kit from Camp-Inn. Since the Camp-inn is made of of 3/4" plywood with an aluminum skin, I had to cut out one of the steel ribs (or "studs") in the wall of my trailer and replace that section of wall with plywood. It went fairly well, and I expect it to go very well indeed with the other side now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing -- although I don't plan on cutting any major holes in the trailer again soon since we have another trip planned soon. I'll only cut into it again when I know I can take my time making it weather tight.

In another message, someone talked about being afraid about cutting into a good trailer. I know how that is, but I'm getting used to it. :-)

More later.
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kankujoe » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:04 am

Hello Thomas,

Good luck with your conversion. You should not have too much trouble installing your windows and outfitting your trailer the way you want.

The 16mpg you reported is pretty good for towing a cargo trailer. I wish I got as much but I average 13-15 depending on the grade of the road & my travel speed.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your progress.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Salivanto » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks, Kankujoe,

I realised today that the 16 mpg included two unladen trips to the
swimming pool / playground. Still, that's got to be about right. I recall
I get 22 or 23 mpg without a trailer. Yeah, that sounds right.

I suppose it also makes a difference how full the trailer is.

I haven't made any real progress since the first trip -- in part because I wanted to rest, but in part because I didn't want to start something that I'd have to finish in just two weeks.

I've got a new computer on order, so I should be able to include a picture soon.

I chose this particular trailer model in part because I happen to live close to the store and could see it every day and get ideas ... but it also turned out to be one of the easily available trailers in that size with double doors in the back. I like the idea of having two doors because anything I mount on the door will be within reach of the galley, which will be in the back.

The skin is held on by torx screws ... or so I thought. After I bought the trailer, I found out that they were 8-pointed stars. I was momentarily panicked that I'd have to find some security bits ... till I found out that a square drive turns them just fine.
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:26 pm

Wow Thomas, it has been a long time, hasn't it.

Good to see you again.

Hope you get your home computer fixed as we are all looking forward to seeing your pics.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Salivanto » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:41 pm

mikeschn wrote:Hope you get your home computer fixed as we are all looking forward to seeing your pics.

Mike...

Okay, the new computer is here. I've got netzero installed. I've looked through some photos and found one worth sharing (but hardly), so let's see if I remember how to post it.

We've got some newer photos which I'd like to post but the new computer with a five-slot "universal" connection doesn't have a connection for the old memory cards for our camera!! We've got to take them to my Mother In Law to burn to CD, and then I can post. Would you belive I'm an IT professional? I'll get to the 21st century one of these days.
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kankujoe » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:03 am

I'm looking forward to seeing some more photos. It looks like you are installing traditional teardrop style doors on you cargo trailer... I'm interested in your plan for the doors & windows.

Also, how tall is your trailer?
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Salivanto » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:00 pm

Yes, they're Camp-In style doors and windows made from parts bought from Camp-Inn. The trailer is 5 feet tall inside. The door works, but it needs some finishing touches. Just got back from our second outing in it... and the kids punched out the screen. gotta repair that before starting on the next door.

I want to put a galley in the last two feet or so, so that when you open the back doors you're looking into the galley. A small space at the bottom of the galley will be for my feet to extend from the normal sleeping area.

Got almost 17 mpg this last trip (16.8).
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions