No windows?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

No windows?

Postby Salivanto » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:30 pm

I had a conversation with a guy this week who was camping in a large cargo trailer. He said he owns a travel trailer, but wanted to bring his motercycle with him, so he put a bed and some other things in his cargo trailer. I'd noticed that he'd made a second door for the trailer, so I asked him about it. It has one window and a spot for an air conditioner. He said it's pretty comfortable and he can blow air through the trailer and out the vent on top.

I'm surprized that he doesn't have any windows. Maybe he didn't want to cut holes in his trailer.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it's not at all uncommon to sleep in a cargo trailer or even outfit one quite nicely for camping, but that in most cases, the trailer is still seen primarily as something to haul cargo, motorcycles, etc.. Actual conversion of a cargo trailer into a camping trailer is much more rare, even if it's not unheard of.
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kankujoe » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:06 am

There are several people who use cargo trailers for camping. Some have them all decked out where they look more like an RV than a box trailer. Many are just a box with a vent or air conditioner. But most are probably something in between.

I am one of those in betweeners... I want my trailer to be pretty much self-contained like an RV when using it for travel/camping, but also I want the option to quickly and easily remove everything inside for use as a "cargo trailer" when I have need for one. Because of this I have decided not to have built in cabinets or structures that can't be removed quickly.

I have a rather nice Coleman Tent Trailer with all the bells & whistles that is becoming very lonely... I find it so much easier to use my TTT. Not that my pop up is difficult to set up or take down... it is just so much easier to travel when I'm not restricted to a "real" campground. There are many beautiful destinations & parks (even some rest stops) that aren't near a campground or one that isn't always filled up. And many parks & camps require a two night minimum in order to make a reservation. :cry:

Another big advantage is that I can take my TTT places that I can't take my pop up. Some of the back roads & trails would tear it apart. On long trips I can just pull over to nap for an hour or two... head out on a trail for a bike ride or a hike or slip my kayak into a lake, stream or river... and have a "cabin" to come back to clean up, change clothes, rest or have a snack (or even spend the night) before moving on to the real campground or park. :)
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby southpennrailroad » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:29 pm

I just got back from a weekend x 2 vacation camping on the old section of the Pennsylvania Turnpike east of Breezewood and just dropping off the 6x10 made it great to get out and know that the trailer was just set up upon returning to the site when finishing exploring.

Above: Facing west view of Breezewood from atop the Rays Hill mountain.

Above: This is the wake up view facing east at Pumping Sta. Rd.

Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions