Cargo Trailer Design help

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Cargo Trailer Design help

Postby mountainbike01 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:46 pm

Hi,
Excellent forum. So much information. I have been lurking for quite a while and finally registered and going to post. We havent camped since we first got married, and thought we never would. However our three year old talked us into it and we had a great time. Now we have to come up with a dry place to sleep. We borrowed a pop up from my dad and it leaked and putting it up and down was a pain in the rain. As much as I would like to build one from scratch and having a three year old who wants to start camping yesterday. I think converting a Cargo trailer is in order for us. As my wife is a stay at home mom our budget is very thin. I can get a Classic cargo Trailer 6 X 12 plus a V nose that adds a extra 3'to the 12' for about $3,500.00. I am thinking of a RV style door on the side and two swinging cargo doors in the back. The Ceiling and Side walls are white vinyl. I would have two windows installed on either side and a vent on top. Like I said our basic goal is to sleep dry and to camp easy. I need to know if the above mentioned would provide room for two adults under 6' tall a three year old and also tow dog kennels that are 24"X32" by 24"Tall. I would plan on cooking outside. Fold down bunks/beds would be nice as well. Would be nice to have space for a portipotty. I would love to hear your thoughts and if anyone has design ideas I would welcome them as would my three year old. " Dad when are we going camping?" Thanks for reading my post
mountainbike01
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gerdo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:28 pm

First off, WELCOME! Yes you can and it has been done by quite a few. I do like the V nose. It gets you some exter space without getting longer. I belive that you can get alot into a 6x12+. If I were you I would seriously consider building a galley inside the back doors. If you do this, think about a second way out of the sleeping area. (second door or a large window)
catrinka's attack cat
I would buy the trailer without the inside finished. This would alow you to wire, insulate and have a finished wall the way you want. It will be easier to add windows and vents. You could do a nice stained/polyed wooden walls and ceiling. This will give it a warm cabin like feel inside. Catrinka also has a floor plan. It is something to start with. Notice it has a porta poty in it. Go for it. Don't rush it and cut corners now that you will be sorry for later.
Last edited by Gerdo on Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:54 pm

When you first get it have someone take a hose to the outside, you inside. Look for leaks, now is the time to find them. Hose from underneith also and in the wheel wells. You should also be able to see light at any potential leaks from inside with the doors closed. Mark them and seal them. This is another good reason not to have a factory finished interior.

I've been helping a friend chase a leak in a cargo trailer thar he has. The hard part is that his has the factory interior and a bunch of shelves. When we drive in the rain there is a small stream running across the floor. It is black road water.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions