New Guy with New Question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New Guy with New Question

Postby Harley » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:00 am

Hello Everyone!

First let me say this is an awesome site! There is so much information here it's incredible.

I am new to all of this, I just got my first ATV, a sportsman 500 EFI x2 Deluxe. Along with this I purchased my first Trailer, a Carry-On from Lowe's. It's the 5 x 10 model with a treated lumber floor and fold down ramp. My life was perfect with this set up, I was happy. Then I found this site.

Now I must somehow convert my little trailer to a part time toy hauler and part time camping trailer. I have checked several of the threads on this subject and found some ideas. My problem is most of them are on taking Enclosed Trailers and making them either Toy Haulers or Utility Trailers becoming Teardrops or other such designs.

I am concerned about the axle placement.

I am open to any and all suggestions and look forward to this project.

thanks to all,
Harley
Harley
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New Guy with New Question

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:41 am

Harley wrote:Hello Everyone!

First let me say this is an awesome site! There is so much information here it's incredible.

I am new to all of this, I just got my first ATV, a sportsman 500 EFI x2 Deluxe. Along with this I purchased my first Trailer, a Carry-On from Lowe's. It's the 5 x 10 model with a treated lumber floor and fold down ramp. My life was perfect with this set up, I was happy. Then I found this site.

Now I must somehow convert my little trailer to a part time toy hauler and part time camping trailer. I have checked several of the threads on this subject and found some ideas. My problem is most of them are on taking Enclosed Trailers and making them either Toy Haulers or Utility Trailers becoming Teardrops or other such designs.

I am concerned about the axle placement.

I am open to any and all suggestions and look forward to this project.

thanks to all,
Harley

I have seen this debate on this forun a dozen times. How do we make 1 trailer frame become an all purpose frame for a utility trailer a tear drop and an enclosed trailer for whatever purpose ( Toy hauler , furnitire mover, band equipment ect) I hope to closely address this with my 3rd build. I have aquired a 4x8 frame currently with angle sides about 18" tall.
I intend to cut off the sides and to construct 3 seperate "Boxes" with a torsion box floor for each. One box will become a 4x8 non standard tear , the second a flatbed with removable sides , and the third a fully enclosed box style body. I think that an attachment method similar to the lift off semi cargo boxes could be standardized for a quick change method. These would resemble a heavy duty draw hasp with locking capabilities.
The placement of the box on the frame would largely dictate tongue weight and empty load dispersal. Forward to add tongue weight back to decrease. The load would help to further adjust these factors with the open and closed cargo bodys. Maybe a removable or adjustable tongue would be a plus in a multi use trailer such as this.

Crazy I know but we all gotta dream :shock:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby prohandyman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:46 am

Harley
I'm one of the many that converted a cargo to a camper, and The original axle placement was too far to the front. I built it with a galley just like a tear, and, just as a tear drop camper has, mine had too much weight to the back, so I bought new axle brackets and moved it back some 7". It made quite a difference in the ride of the trailer.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Thanks for the replies

Postby Harley » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:46 am

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your replies. Prohandyman, I have visited your album and love your work. I like your ideas.

I saw a guy's pics on this site where he made something like I want but can't find it anymore. All I remember was something about it being a "triple use" trailer or something. I'll do a search and see if I can find it. He put the galley up front! I thought this might help with the weight/axle problem. What do you guys think?

Also, I won't really be carrying this around without my ATV. Doe's that kinda "fix" the axle location problem? It seems to me that if the thing rides ok with the ATV on the trailer now, how much can enclosing the trailer mess things up?

Bobhenry, wow, great looking TD. But your plan is waaaayy to much for me. I'm not that talented or smart. :lol: But I am open to any advice you have.

Thanks again. It's great to be able to discuss projects like this with people who 1. have experience and 2. don't even know you but are still willing to help. That's awesome!

Thanks again.

Harley
Harley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:22 am

Hi Harley,

It's easy to make a all-in-one ATV haul and camp trailer. You start with a self contained tent unit on the front, pictured is a 4' x 6' trailer

Then use rubbermaid storage containers or build some storage compartments to organize your stuff

For the axle position, I would just cut the hanger loose, move the axle assembly until I get 10-15% of the trailers weight on the tongue and reweld them.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby kipnita » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:49 pm

Harley, the 3 - in - 1 trailer you refer to with the front camp kitchen was probably Jim Teiss' (JMT on this site).

Here is the link to JMT's album:

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... er_id=3610

I am looking at doing something similar!
kipnita
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Harley, if you want a dual use, enclosed trailer, there have been several done that way, just make sure you have sufficient "gusseting" to keep it square...if you look at Elmo's homebuilt and Sandman's store bought LittleGuy, you will see platforms built on the front of the box to carry toys on........
madjack 8)

p.s. If you want a triple use trailer...enclosed box, toy hauler, camper and open utility trailer, then personally, I feel you are wanting too much sugar for your dime........MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby elmo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Harley this is mine!!

It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Awesome!

Postby Harley » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 am

Wow, that's awesome feedback.

The tent idea is cool but I'm trying to get away from a tent. I already use one and want to get away from that, trying to consolidate into a smaller package.

Kipnita, yes, thats the one! thanks for the link. I will try to use those as a plan. I guess I can ask him for details like how it pulls, axle position, etc.? Is he still active on this forum?

MJ. I agree, that's a little too much. I want it to carry my ATV and use it to camp out of once I get there. You guys on this website have given me so many more options than just camping out of a box. I can actually have some comforts and have my gear too!

Elmo, wow, that's beautiful man! Did you make that yourself? It's awesome. I have seen one's like that for ATVs as well, just not mine. It's way too large to load sideways.

I think I'm going to work on the plans laid on the link Kipnita gave me. Once I have some more specific plans or questions I'll post them here to bug you guys for some more help.

thanks again to you all. I look forward to starting my trailer project soon.

Harley
Harley
Teardrop Inspector

Another tip

Postby kipnita » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:23 am

Harley, go to the upper left corner of the page and click on the "Hall of Fame" link. This will open an album that you can view of TD and TTT. You will probably get a few additional ideas re the interior work/finish by taking a look at the various trailers depicted in the Hall (Haul?) of Fame.
kipnita
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions