Cargo Trailer Roof Vent Question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Cargo Trailer Roof Vent Question

Postby sladezero » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:48 pm

Hey All,

I am looking at adding a roof vent for ventilation to my 6x10 Pace cargo trailer. I saw this at etrailer.com and though this would work.
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-rv~65561.htm

My question is this. The 6x10 I have has nothing on the roof but the metal roof beams and the metal skin roof. Do I need any kind of wood bracing for this? Also, I have heard of people using butyle tape to seal it up. Is this all I would need to install it? I just want to make sure before I start cutting holes in the roof.

Thanks any assistance given.

-V/R
Slade
sladezero
Teardrop Inspector

Roof Vent

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:05 am

Hey Slade

I purchased my 6X10 Pace last fall from my dad who had already installed the one I have. He built a frame around the vent that ties into the roof support ribs. I think he screwed into this wooden frame and sealed it up with 100% silicone (white). I just dropped him an email to see if he could shed some light on the process. I will update if and when. I am sure others here will be able to answer the question in short order. I could take some better photos later since I will be out there working on it. Here is a power roof vent for $30 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-V-FAN ... enameZWDVW

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby sladezero » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:11 am

Hey Nitro,

Thanks for the insight. Do you know how big the hole is that was made for the opening? Most of the writes here speak of approximately 14" for the hole.
I was not planning on using a fan but, maybe I should. Thanks again for the feedback. The link you added, I assume it includes the fan and the vent?
Thanks again.

-V/R

Slade
sladezero
Teardrop Inspector

Roof Vent

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:36 pm

Slade,

I am not sure how big the hole needs to be without having a vent to measure. You will want to cut it just big enough to fit through the roof. I talked to my dad today and he said the vents are flat on the bottom side that sits on the roof. He had mentioned to the salesman that it didn't seem right but was told they are all that way. He made the wood frame to give the screws more meat to dig into. He used the rolled puddy adhesive then screwed it down. The new trailer he just purchased had it installed when it was built, and it was framed in from the factory similar to what he built.
Fan or no fan is totally up to you. My fan is set up to bring air in and when the fan is on and the windows are open and you are standing outside the trailer it would easily blow out a match. Quite a breeze. On warm nights the fan will push the warm out and pull cooler air in. For the price you are looking at for a vent only, I sure would consider it even if you don't use it that much at least you have it.
The link was for a vent w/ fan, yes.
No problem, I hope it helps.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Got it

Postby sladezero » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:52 pm

Hey Nitrox,

I took the link you showed me and picked one up. I figure $5 extra bucks was worth it. It should take a few days to get here. I will take your advice and add the extra bracing. It looks like a trip to the local Lowes for me.
Thanks again for the help.

-V/R

Slade
sladezero
Teardrop Inspector

Vent Fan Complete

Postby sladezero » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:24 am

Hey there,

I finally got the roof vent complete. Between family and work it took a few days. This does not count the consistent rain we have been getting.
Why does it only rain on my days off? :cry:
Also, I still have to to the power for the fan. I think I will just do a
VDC adapter at Radioshack for the power. I can stripe the wires and be done.

I am still working the interior to make it more family friendly.
The family has really taken interest in this project. They keep asking how soon we can go.

:thumbsup:

-V/R
Slade
sladezero
Teardrop Inspector

Where's the pictures

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:11 am

I have learned here on the forum that everyone needs pic's. Don't forget to post some pic's of your projects for others to learn from. Glad you got-er-done!

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Pics Enclosed

Postby sladezero » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:05 pm

Hey Nitrox,

Enclosed are pics of the fan install. I have to fix the alignment a little and hook-up the power. Other than that it is camper ready minus the TV being put in. Also, that is not a disco ball. It is a hanging lamp. I felt this gave a better camping feel to the trailer.

Finally, here is what everything looks like from the back opened.

These are my sliding rear doors. They help for ventilation since I do not have a side door yet.

This should help for everyone to visualize.

-V/R
Slade
sladezero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:59 pm

Great Job Slade; I like it. I am glad you got it in. It looks like you have made more progress inside then I have. Keep up the good work.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby brian_bp » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:40 pm

I'm not sure if the vent needs a frame structurally, but the more advanced fan-equipped vents of the same 14" size (such as the MaxxFan and the classic Fantastic Vent fans) need substantial roof thickness for the trim to mount properly.

To mount a MaxxFan in the 1/8" fiberglass roof of my Boler travel trailer I added a two-layer plywood frame on the inside; even the stock traditional vent in the same opening had a single layer of plywood framing, although perhaps only to receive the mounting screws. The fiberglass is likely substantially stiffer than aluminum roof sheeting (it doesn't need the support ribs).

I think that the frame was a good idea: an upgrade later to a MaxxFan or similar will be easily if desired later.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Thanks

Postby sladezero » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Hey Everyone,

Thanks. I wouldn't say I am ahead. After all I do not have a side door or side windows. I really wish I had a side door. I am looking at adding a side door later on down the road.
I have to add my power inlet hatch and that should pretty much wrap this up for the most part.

-V/R
Slade :D
sladezero
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions