5x8 pace cargo with roof vent, soon to be camper.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

5x8 pace cargo with roof vent, soon to be camper.

Postby slyeager » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:43 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought this was a good idea....

I got mine for hunting, and wasn't planning on really doing any thing to her, just throw in a cot and know that it will be better then two weeks in a tent up in the mountains. So now It's getting insulated, cabinets, and a fold down bed, windows, and the back doors will get removed and replaced with a homemade door that will swing open to the side to load my ATV and will have an rv door in it . Since I hunt in bear country, Black and Griz (northern Idaho Pan Handle), I'm not going to bother with sink and stove since we cook and eat away from the sleeping area.

So I was glad to stumble across this site, lots of ideas.

I posted the before pictures in my album and will keep it updated, the old man already gave me a shopping list of materials he's gonna need, so hopefully this summer the pics will be plentiful and the progress will be smooth.
Last edited by slyeager on Sat May 03, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Great

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:37 am

My dad got me going on mine too but transformation really made some headway when it changed hands. You will find out they are a lot of fun to work on and personalize. Have fun and keep the photos coming.

Jeff "Great lakes diver" :applause:
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby slyeager » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:55 am

Well I'm better with a sledge hammer then a regular one, I can do finish work but guess I'm just to impatiant. He's much better at that stuff. I may have found him a new hobbie though....

Yea, reading through the forum You get the sense there can't be enough photos......lol
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Insulation has begun

Postby slyeager » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:32 pm

New pic in album. I picked up the linolium, got 4 windows off ebay, and some lumber for the cabinets. Pics will appear as the trailer progesses.
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Postby SmokeyBear » Thu May 08, 2008 10:39 pm

I want to convert this exact same trailer!

Any updated pics? How hard was it to get the windows in there? How time consuming is this project? Also, I am mechanically declined, so how hard was it to get that vent in the roof?

I need the lazy mans walk through for this project!

Whine whine whine... I know.. (sorry) 8)
SmokeyBear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby slyeager » Fri May 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Hopefully I'll have some more pics this weekend.
The vent was easy, I bought the trailer with it already installed....lol I think other people on here have installed their own vents though.

The 1 inch insulation was bought at lowes, just remove all the scews from the wood and the wood. Dad cut the insulation with a table saw with a finish blade put on backward. Shop vac hooked up to the table saw is highly recommended for this. ( Others on here recommend using a straight blade to cut the insulation.) Insulation is just pushed into place and held by friction against the frame. Put the wood back up.

The windows weren't that hard, I bought them off ebay for $100 and they were small enough to fit between the framing, so it was just a matter of cutting through the trailer skin, insulating foam, and the wood on the inside. all three cuts were done with a jig saw. The windows didn't come with the trim ring so it was just caulked and screwed from the outside and the screwed again on the inside through the wood. The hole through the wood is smaller then the hole through the skin and insulation. (I'll get some close ups this weekend)

Well my dad is actually the one doing the work, and he's 72. I'm just the parts supplier so far. I'd say there is only 5 - 6 days work in the pics posted.

Good luck. And POST PICS.......................lol
Last edited by slyeager on Sun May 11, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Postby DougH » Sat May 10, 2008 8:47 pm

Looks great so far. It's funny, the windows look much bigger from inside the trailer than they do from the outside! Sure brighten up the inside.
DougH
Teardrop Master

Postby slyeager » Sun May 11, 2008 2:52 pm

Yea, I get a kick on how big the interior looks since there is no reference.

Added some window closeups, and the side cabinet pics.
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Postby SmokeyBear » Sun May 11, 2008 9:26 pm

Cabinet space! I freakin love it!

Did you make those yourself? Or some sort of prebuilt home depot purchase?
SmokeyBear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby slyeager » Sun May 11, 2008 10:02 pm

My dad built them. He has a bunch of doors, so he just made a frame for them. Everthing is glued and screwed.

He's also building a closet and framing in those plastic drawers elevated across the front. Hopefully I'm posting pics of those next weekend.

Then it's time for some trial runs.

Thanks
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Postby slyeager » Sun May 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Some new pics, Well i finally did some work on my own trailer. Put the linolium in, New locking arm hasp so I can lock it open when I'm inside. (I know my friends, they would not hesitate to lock me in....lol) Some handles on the inside, slide bolt and hook installed so I can close the doors while inside.

Just need the front closet and drawers. whether they're done or not next weekend I'm taking it out.

I got the itch pretty bad for a campfire.....
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Postby slyeager » Mon May 26, 2008 1:24 pm

The front closet and drawers are in, maiden voyage complete. This worked out perfectly. There are some finishing touches and more modifications needed yet, I'm sure. But the first trip to the state forest was pretty awesome. Wasn't cramped at all, I need to bend over when inside but had plenty of room in the cot. I hung a golf towel over the window by my head, and had my clothes hanging from "S" hooks which I moved in front of the windows at night on the non cabinet side. Just so I wouldn't see a pair of eyes staring in at me if someone/thing came around while I was sleeping.
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Postby slyeager » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:33 pm

Screen door complete, ready for some paint and varnish on the inside.

Pics of the screen door added, the old man did a good job.
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Fold down bed.

Postby slyeager » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:18 pm

Ran into an issue of not being able to shut the screen door when the army cot was in. So now there is a fold down bed. The screen door can now shut when the bed is down and I can still haul the ATV back there if needed. Got some paint up too.
slyeager
Teardrop Builder

Postby sseaman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:31 pm

what is the inside height? If it is less then 6' is that a problem?
sseaman
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions